JCS vs. USJ

Starkiller

Go back and read all of this post until you Milan people got on here and hi-jacked the thread.

That is what class looks like....................read, learn, follow............

You have a great team and 43 threads on here to tell everyone about it. I can't see why you must come on

here and ruin this one too.

dude be talkin bout our fireworks, so i made this #44. that's why they call me thedawg44. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most physical high school games I've ever seen. The Thompson kid for JCS and the McWherter kid from USJ both came to play. I think Thompson (#43) for JCS was the one who drilled #83 for USJ in the first half and nearly sent his helmet to the JCS sideline. Then McWherter nailed #6 for JCS at full speed right in front of the USJ bench. The kid never knew what hit him and staggered around for a couple of seconds.

If you haven't seen Overbey play, I would highly recommend it. I told Mickey after the game that I've never seen a high school QB with the poise and game management skills this kid possesses and he's just a sophomore. Absolutely nothing rattles him. I watched the game from the USJ sideline and this kid's demeanor is the same if he's thrown a TD or an interception. He had an off night but when he had time to set up and go through his reads and progressions it was something to see.

I don't plan on missing their next encounter with Milan if it happens.

I would have to agree that it was a very, very physical football game. You just would not think that it would be between two teams whom you would usually classify as finess teams. USJ and JCS flat got after it on Friday.

Ethan Cooper played very well after having to sit out the Milan game with severe back spasms. He has played in pain all season and has played at a very high level too. Thompson was a beast on defense. He also had a couple of nice blocks as a fullback. I felt so bad for Will Johnson after the game. The effort he put out to score what we thought was the winning touchdown was outstanding. Drae Bowles is showing flashes of why I think that he is going to be one of the most special players in all of West Tennessee by the time he graduates. He does not play anything like a freshman.

On the USJ side of things, Smigelski has some of the best hands I have seen in a long time on a receiver. Martindale made great catches and took some brutal hits. Bright just made catch after catch. The USJ defense simply hits you hard. USJ has had some great quarterbacks throughout the years. However, I believe that Overby will own all of the USJ records before he is done. He will probably own most of the state wide records as well. He will be playing on Saturday afternoons for sure.

JCS will now have to win out and rely on tie breakers to gain a wild card birth by my estimate. A rematch with USJ could take place. If that were to happen, we would need a much bigger stadium than either team has to hold the crowd that would want to see that rematch.

This football season has gone by much to quickly for my taste.

JCS and USJ played a great game Friday night. The kids were hitting hard and helped each other up on more than one occasion. I don't understand how JCS has lost as many games this year with that team- has to be bad luck and probably some key injuries, but they are really good. I think USJ was a little off of their game. Jake ran draws more than any game this season that I can remember. Probably had to do with JCS' defense more than anything. I guess their middle linebacker took away the middle pass. Again, depth came into play- we just don't rotate much and a physical game like Friday can come back to haunt you in the 4th quarter. Congrats to both teams and hope everyone makes it to the playoffs!

The truth of the matter is that USJ has fielded their weakest teams in 15 years over the last 3 years. It seems like they are beginning to get back to playing the quality of football that they did for several years. You don`t make it to the Clinic Bowl 3 times in 1A by not being good. You weren`t the only one who thought the same thing though. I read many posts back when USJ moved up to 2A about how they`ll find out how "real" football is played. In reality USJ would have been very successful in this region many years. I`m, not saying they would have dominated like they did in 1A, but they would have been competing for region championships. I think a lot of the naysayers probably felt redeemed in their predictions based on the results over the last 3 years, but like I stated before those were probably the 3 worst teams USJ has put on the field in the last 15 years. It is very nice to see though that you had the integrity to get on here and say you were wrong. There are MANY still on here who were saying the same thing a few years ago who sit silent today.

I don't think that the 3 USJ teams prior to this year were that bad - they had good talent. I think there were some bad decisions made that kept USJ's offense so "one dimensional" that it was difficult to win. Now that they have more versatility on offense they are able to once again be successful. As a result of those 3 "bad years", USJ decided based mainly on football to go D-2. I think a lot of people are questioning this decision and not only for football. At any rate good to see USJ football enjoying success again and the future looks bright, but maybe not quite as exciting and challenging as 2a. BTW, good ballgame Friday night - there was a lot of heart shown by both teams. At one point I thought Chandler was trying to break Martindale's leg, but then realized he was just trying to help out with a leg cramp!

I don't think that the 3 USJ teams prior to this year were that bad - they had good talent. I think there were some bad decisions made that kept USJ's offense so "one dimensional" that it was difficult to win. Now that they have more versatility on offense they are able to once again be successful. As a result of those 3 "bad years", USJ decided based mainly on football to go D-2. I think a lot of people are questioning this decision and not only for football. At any rate good to see USJ football enjoying success again and the future looks bright, but maybe not quite as exciting and challenging as 2a. BTW, good ballgame Friday night - there was a lot of heart shown by both teams. At one point I thought Chandler was trying to break Martindale's leg, but then realized he was just trying to help out with a leg cramp!

The problem is that USJ and JCS were being moved to 3A and being forced to play schools with enrollments of 1,000 (4A schools) students thanks to the Z plan combined with the multiplier. Yeah weve proved that we can compete but they just keep raising the bar. With both these schools having enrolments of about 325 that would seem a little difficult to maintain week after week. True you only play 3A schools when you get to the playoffs, but your team would be so banged up you wouldnt go far. Humbolt, Peabody, Dresden etc. all stay down in 2A

The problem is that USJ and JCS were being moved to 3A and being forced to play schools with enrollments of 1,000 (4A schools) students thanks to the Z plan combined with the multiplier. Yeah weve proved that we can compete but they just keep raising the bar. With both these schools having enrolments of about 325 that would seem a little difficult to maintain week after week. True you only play 3A schools when you get to the playoffs, but your team would be so banged up you wouldnt go far. Humbolt, Peabody, Dresden etc. all stay down in 2A

I agree with Metfan. I don't think it was as much about being able to compete in football as it was "the principle of the matter." Honestly, the region they're in now is probably tougher than the Z-plan region would have been. The playoffs would have been another story though. Also, it probably would have ruined the basketball program. Asking a school to play with schools three times your size is just too much, in my opinion. Honestly, I think DII is the best thing for JCS/USJ. There are some very good programs in all sports, and the competition will be tough but against schools with similar demographics and missions. Travel will actually probably be a little better, too. Plus, both schools get to help some good kids get a quality education. It's win-win, IMO.

One of the most physical high school games I've ever seen. The Thompson kid for JCS and the McWherter kid from USJ both came to play. I think Thompson (#43) for JCS was the one who drilled #83 for USJ in the first half and nearly sent his helmet to the JCS sideline. Then McWherter nailed #6 for JCS at full speed right in front of the USJ bench. The kid never knew what hit him and staggered around for a couple of seconds.

If you haven't seen Overbey play, I would highly recommend it. I told Mickey after the game that I've never seen a high school QB with the poise and game management skills this kid possesses and he's just a sophomore. Absolutely nothing rattles him. I watched the game from the USJ sideline and this kid's demeanor is the same if he's thrown a TD or an interception. He had an off night but when he had time to set up and go through his reads and progressions it was something to see.

I don't plan on missing their next encounter with Milan if it happens.

It was #11 Noah Chandler who killed #83. He is a sophmore

#83 is Dusty Bright. And YES, he DID get killed by Noah Chandler. It hurt me just to watch the hit!

Must not have been a permanent kill,I noticed 83 caught 4-5 more passes afterwards,caused a big fumble and was in on several tackles.Plus his reaction to the hit seemed to pump up the USJ crowd just

as much as the hit pumped up JCS.