TSSAA Clock Rule for spikes

darook70

There was 1.3 seconds left when the officials stopped the clock for the chains to be set. As soon as the chains were set the officials blew the whistle to start the clock, West snapped the ball and spiked it. I doubt a ball can be snapped, spiked and the official blew the whistle to stop the clock (all in 1.3 seconds).

That does sound flakey.But what can U do.Is there some kind of schools the officials graduate from? How do they know when they are ready to officiate a game.Some are not ready yet,by a long shot. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Boone lost a game against Morristown West friday night after West was able to snap and spike the ball with 1.3 seconds left on the clock. The officials stopped the clocked after West got the first down and waited for the chains to be set before starting the clock. West snapped the ball and spiked it and the officials said there was still time remaining. West was able to kick a field goal to put the game into overtime.

Does a TSSAA rule exist that states a ball cannot be snapped and spiked in less than a certain number of seconds?

Not only possible but very probable. Under this scenario, a first down is picked up and the clock is stopped immediately to move the sticks..The offensive team, if they are lined up properly, upon my starting the clock can most certainly snap and spike the ball (incomplete pass) in that period of time. Also, if in the opinion of the ref, the clock did not stop immediately upon the ball hitting the ground with the official's signal, in his judgment, he is allowed to put time back on the clock. Chances are this team we are discussing was well versed in this procedure. Just my two cents worth!

Not only possible but very probable. Under this scenario, a first down is picked up and the clock is stopped immediately to move the sticks..The offensive team, if they are lined up properly, upon my starting the clock can most certainly snap and spike the ball (incomplete pass) in that period of time. Also, if in the opinion of the ref, the clock did not stop immediately upon the ball hitting the ground with the official's signal, in his judgment, he is allowed to put time back on the clock. Chances are this team we are discussing was well versed in this procedure. Just my two cents worth!

sounds credible,good two cents worth.

You are probably one of these jokers, a NET referee. We tried it this week and the fastest you can snap a ball and legally ground it is 2.1 seconds and then the ref has to signal for the play to stop and clock stop or did you forget that part. It took 3.5 for it all to happen. They can try tpo cover up all they want. Boone. Was robbed but that is part of officiating in NET. They are not partial. It just happened tp be !oone this time.

You are probably one of these jokers, a NET referee. We tried it this week and the fastest you can snap a ball and legally ground it is 2.1 seconds and then the ref has to signal for the play to stop and clock stop or did you forget that part. It took 3.5 for it all to happen. They can try tpo cover up all they want. Boone. Was robbed but that is part of officiating in NET. They are not partial. It just happened tp be !oone this time.

I would have to respectfully disagree with your assessment with respect to time. 1.3 plus seconds is enough time to snap and spike the ball. Also take into consideration the referee understands the concept and will be quick with the signal to stop the clock. If the ECO does not stop the clock in time, I again repeat the referee can and will adjust the clock to allow an additional play.

This discussion is pretty pointless. For one, the TSSAA will not over turn the final outcome of the game. For two, there was NOT 1.3 seconds left in the game when the quarterback spiked the ball. There was 4.0 seconds. Time was being kept on the field due to prior clock malfunctions during the game. The scoreboard clock and the official time kept on the field were 3 seconds different.

And yes, there was plenty of time on the first down play to set the chains, spike the ball, and attempt the field goal. If you want to argue the roughing the kicker, thats one thing. However, I tend to believe he was tackled after the kick because normally that is a situation where the ref swallows the whistle unless its just plain as day.

I feel sorry for Boone losing such a game. They did play their hearts out. Unfortunately, Morristown West was able to make just one more play at the very end, and the final score indicated as such. But lets remember, both teams...BOTH TEAMS had plenty of chances to put the game away before that final scenario...Boone especially.

And before anyone thinks it...no, I'm not a NET official.

This discussion is pretty pointless. For one, the TSSAA will not over turn the final outcome of the game. For two, there was NOT 1.3 seconds left in the game when the quarterback spiked the ball. There was 4.0 seconds. Time was being kept on the field due to prior clock malfunctions during the game. The scoreboard clock and the official time kept on the field were 3 seconds different.

And yes, there was plenty of time on the first down play to set the chains, spike the ball, and attempt the field goal. If you want to argue the roughing the kicker, thats one thing. However, I tend to believe he was tackled after the kick because normally that is a situation where the ref swallows the whistle unless its just plain as day.

I feel sorry for Boone losing such a game. They did play their hearts out. Unfortunately, Morristown West was able to make just one more play at the very end, and the final score indicated as such. But lets remember, both teams...BOTH TEAMS had plenty of chances to put the game away before that final scenario...Boone especially.

And before anyone thinks it...no, I'm not a NET official.

Again someone has lied to you or real bad officiating. Because if. Toime is being kept on the field the coach jas to be notified and boones was not even after the 1.3.

To the other guy. An official should not change his officiating at the end so he should not start or stop the clock any different on the first play or last

I also realize nothing will change but maybe the net officials will read this and realize how bad people know they are. But it seems they don't care to be better. Just paid.

Again someone has lied to you or real bad officiating. Because if. Toime is being kept on the field the coach jas to be notified and boones was not even after the 1.3.

To the other guy. An official should not change his officiating at the end so he should not start or stop the clock any different on the first play or last

I also realize nothing will change but maybe the net officials will read this and realize how bad people know they are. But it seems they don't care to be better. Just paid.

Good post.It is not just football,they are just as bad in basketball.I thought C. Morgan at DB was going to go off big time last year on some bad calls.Officials need to be held accountable.IMO

I was not lied to. West had roughly 4.2 secs to spike the ball. A little over 2 after the spike play. It would appear the Boone team was not notified of the differential. But I do know for certain that time kept on the field was different from that showing on the scoreboard.

To your other point...its certainly not heard of to let the official know of your intensions. These guys know what situation teams are in (certainly not defending refs...especially NET ones), but they know what a team has or is going to do. And that anticipation will normally work in said teams favor.

Like in college or the NFL..teams will inform a referee when they want to call time. Say, "I want time with 3 seconds" or "I'm going to call time when the play clock is down to 1". In this situation, the official knew West was on the line trying to spike the ball. He did the proper thing at the end of waiting for the chains to be set. West did everything they could to get up to the line and spike the ball, which they did.

I was not lied to. West had roughly 4.2 secs to spike the ball. A little over 2 after the spike play. It would appear the Boone team was not notified of the differential. But I do know for certain that time kept on the field was different from that showing on the scoreboard.

To your other point...its certainly not heard of to let the official know of your intensions. These guys know what situation teams are in (certainly not defending refs...especially NET ones), but they know what a team has or is going to do. And that anticipation will normally work in said teams favor.

Like in college or the NFL..teams will inform a referee when they want to call time. Say, "I want time with 3 seconds" or "I'm going to call time when the play clock is down to 1". In this situation, the official knew West was on the line trying to spike the ball. He did the proper thing at the end of waiting for the chains to be set. West did everything they could to get up to the line and spike the ball, which they did.

why would an official keep a clock on the field and not tell the clock operator or the home team? Been around officiating a very long time. That should get you suspended from officiating. So again, you were either lied to or someone has no clue how to officiate. The clock operator at Boone is on the field not the press box. So again, why would the clock operator not be told or the home team.

It is funny that this 4.2 seconds appears after the outcome. Sounds like an official, maybe you, trying to cover up for himself and the mistakes they made on the field or the coercion for a team to win.

If it is not you, then how do you know the back judge and why would he be keeping the time. The clock operator would still keep the time and not an official on the field. Get your story straight. I appreciate your info because it is proving my point even more that something was up.

If a clock is not working, no one on the field keeps the time. The clock operator is brought to the field. And he was never told. He even told one of the coaches on Boone's side, "I don't know why they are letting the play continue."

Let's hear your explanation, Mr. Back Judge.

why would an official keep a clock on the field and not tell the clock operator or the home team? Been around officiating a very long time. That should get you suspended from officiating. So again, you were either lied to or someone has no clue how to officiate. The clock operator at Boone is on the field not the press box. So again, why would the clock operator not be told or the home team.

It is funny that this 4.2 seconds appears after the outcome. Sounds like an official, maybe you, trying to cover up for himself and the mistakes they made on the field or the coercion for a team to win.

If it is not you, then how do you know the back judge and why would he be keeping the time. The clock operator would still keep the time and not an official on the field. Get your story straight. I appreciate your info because it is proving my point even more that something was up.

If a clock is not working, no one on the field keeps the time. The clock operator is brought to the field. And he was never told. He even told one of the coaches on Boone's side, "I don't know why they are letting the play continue."

Let's hear your explanation, Mr. Back Judge.

I read your topics and things you have written. It sure is funny that a West fan would know the back judge well enough to have this information. Would the officials have been from Morristown or that area as some have suggested? That would fit right into the NET officials normal behavior.