TSSAA Clock Rule for spikes

darook70

Daniel Boone lost a game against Morristown West friday night after West was able to snap and spike the ball with 1.3 seconds left on the clock. The officials stopped the clocked after West got the first down and waited for the chains to be set before starting the clock. West snapped the ball and spiked it and the officials said there was still time remaining. West was able to kick a field goal to put the game into overtime.

Does a TSSAA rule exist that states a ball cannot be snapped and spiked in less than a certain number of seconds?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about how much time was left. All I was saying is that there is not a rule that says you cannot spike the ball with 1.3 sceonds left. I don't believe the pevious poster said that time had expired. They said that the officials said there was still time remaining. I was just answering the question about spiking the ball.

As far as I know, there is no rule in the TSSAA Rule Book that states how much time a spike should take; it is totally at the discretion of the official. Unfortunately, in this case, 1.3 seconds seems like just enough time to snap and spike the ball, but also not enough time to do the same. It??™s a quandary of the game.

Easy interpretation. A spiked ball is the same as an incomplete pass. The clock stops the second it touches the ground. Before the rules were changed to all the spiking of the ball, teams had to throw a forward pass out of bounds to achieve the same goal. The rules were changed at all levels about twenty or so years ago to allow the ball to be spiked.

As far as I know, there is no rule in the TSSAA Rule Book that states how much time a spike should take; it is totally at the discretion of the official. Unfortunately, in this case, 1.3 seconds seems like just enough time to snap and spike the ball, but also not enough time to do the same. It??™s a quandary of the game.

The clock said 00000000000, actually 00. They said there was .2 seconds left. The clock actually ran out before the ball left the qbs hand.

The NET officials had a bad weekend as usual. The video on Cloudland on Channel 11 showed the player stepping out at the 5 and then again at the 3 and they gave him a touchdown. Even Kenny laughed and said I didn't see what I thought I saw did I?

There is nothing in the rule book but every officiating association I have been in says 2.2 seconds is the least. Reality is the clock can not stop until the whistle has blown and the official gives the signal. That did not happen for a good 5 seconds.

I also wonder why they did not flag West for impeding the chains after they had already given a sideline warning. If you are going to put yourself in the game, do it all the way.

I felt like the end of the game was dictated by the officials rather than the players. The problem is there is nothing that can be done. The teams played a good game but the outcome was dictated by the officials and that is not their job. Nothing will be done because it is just part of playing ball of any kind in NET.

The funny thing is, they think they do a good job. They are that arrogant.

The clock said 00000000000, actually 00. They said there was .2 seconds left. The clock actually ran out before the ball left the qbs hand.

The NET officials had a bad weekend as usual. The video on Cloudland on Channel 11 showed the player stepping out at the 5 and then again at the 3 and they gave him a touchdown. Even Kenny laughed and said I didn't see what I thought I saw did I?

There is nothing in the rule book but every officiating association I have been in says 2.2 seconds is the least. Reality is the clock can not stop until the whistle has blown and the official gives the signal. That did not happen for a good 5 seconds.

I also wonder why they did not flag West for impeding the chains after they had already given a sideline warning. If you are going to put yourself in the game, do it all the way.

I felt like the end of the game was dictated by the officials rather than the players. The problem is there is nothing that can be done. The teams played a good game but the outcome was dictated by the officials and that is not their job. Nothing will be done because it is just part of playing ball of any kind in NET.

The funny thing is, they think they do a good job. They are that arrogant.

It makes you wonder...is the NET going to begin phasing in robots to officiate the games? It all comes down to funding.

It makes you wonder...is the NET going to begin phasing in robots to officiate the games? It all comes down to funding.

I would say that Dobyns-Bennett will have these robots first when the fans begin to complain that they lost a playoff game because of the officiating. Blame it on the mud, get new fieldturf. Blame it on the refs, get new robots.

If there was no time left, how did they get to kick field goal? Sounds like some of the same officials

we have had this year.

There was 1.3 seconds left when the officials stopped the clock for the chains to be set. As soon as the chains were set the officials blew the whistle to start the clock, West snapped the ball and spiked it. I doubt a ball can be snapped, spiked and the official blew the whistle to stop the clock (all in 1.3 seconds).

If U are going to cry about DB complaining about officials A-- H--- than go look on some of South's threads also. It's a common thing in NET. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> We got fieldturf cause we wanted it,and we could.,nothing to do with mud.We will get Robots if we can,they can't be any worse than what we are seeing on Friday nites. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

The officiating has been bad especially these last few weeks. Can we borrow a robot or two after you get them? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

By the way I found this interesting on the NFHS web site: NFHS Web Site

After you click the link look for "Football clock operator instructions"