Academics and BA

rollredroll

The August 9-15 version of the Nashville Business Journal contains some facts about private schools in the Nashville area. The information is in a table format and includes data such as address, website, principal/headmaster, enrollment, tuition, etc. There is also a section that addresses test scores, graduation rates, and teacher data. Specifically, the tables shows average ACT and SAT scores, graduation percentages, number of teachers, number of teachers with advanced degrees, and starting salaries. There are two tables - one that shows the largest 20 schools that offer high school classes, and another that shows the top 25 largest and includes grammar/junior high schools only.

In the top 20 (enrollment-wise) list, 18 of the 20 schools had either ACT or SAT data listed, or both. Of the 20 schools, 18 listed graduation percentages. In the top 25 list, the majority of the schools listed the number of teahcers they have, and the number of teachers with advanced degrees. A fair amount listed average starting salaries.

I think it is worth mentioning the data that Brentwood Academy provided. BA was one of the two schools that did not provide either SAT or ACT data. BA was one of the two schools that did not provide graduation percentages. BA was one of a handful of schools that did not provide any teacher information.

I respect a school's decision whether or not to provide such data. However, BA's omissions are glaring (their entries are noted as "declined"). Many of these schools provided data. In some cases, some of these schools provided data that, by some, may be considered less than stellar, at least when compared to other private schools. Nevertheless, they provided the data and give parents a chance to see what the tuition they are paying is getting them.

My question is, to BA supporters, what is Brentwood Academy trying to hide? I think this is a worthy question in light of how forthcoming its private school brethren were in providing their information. What kinds of students is the school marketing when it doesn't provide data in which parents can compare BA to other schools?

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-12-02 12:03A]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fact of the matter is BA has never been and will never be a school that cares about academics. all Darth Vader worries about are trophies in his case. That is just my opinion, but I think the situation presented in this thread is PLENTY of evidence to support the theory.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/

There is the link to the home page, but I can't find the story. Plus, the search engine on the site is no help. Maybe someone else can find it. Let us know if you can. :D

[Edited by panfan on 8-11-02 11:32P]

Posted by just1np:

rollredroll, does the Nashville Business Journal offer a link to the information you discussed? I'd like to look at those numbers.

I don't expect any responses to your question, but that is interesting.

[Edited by just1np on 8-11-02 9:59P]

just1np (and others), I checked the online version and it looks as if they are still posting the August 2-8 version of the paper. If I see it come up, I will post it later in the week. That being said, I'm not sure if the online version will have it since it wasn't a story or article per se. However, anyone in the Nashville area can find the information in print in select stores as of this past Friday.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-12-02 12:06A]

first off i can tell you for a fact that the graduation rate for last year was 100%. one major reason why BA might withhold ACT and SAT scores is because of the low number of people there. also Rollred, you claim that ba's the one that keeps people just for there athletic ability. well the kid that was on the front page of the paper today that's enrolled to MBA for seventh grade this upcoming year flunked out of BA in his sixth grade year. if your allegations were true then why did your school let this flunkout 300pounder in?

Posted by bafan01:

first off i can tell you for a fact that the graduation rate for last year was 100%. one major reason why BA might withhold ACT and SAT scores is because of the low number of people there. also Rollred, you claim that ba's the one that keeps people just for there athletic ability. well the kid that was on the front page of the paper today that's enrolled to MBA for seventh grade this upcoming year flunked out of BA in his sixth grade year. if your allegations were true then why did your school let this flunkout 300pounder in?

If a school has a 100% graduation rate, I think it should report it. What is the harm in reporting it if it's perfect?

As for the SAT and ACT score issue, schools with smaller enrollments reported their numbers. I don't see relative smallness in size as an issue as to whether to report or not.

As for the 7th grader in question, I don't know anything about him other than what I read. The article said, "If he gets a rare C on a report card, the X-Box is taken away for two weeks." Are you saying that not only did he get Cs, he received a bunch of Fs, too?

You claimed that I claimed "...that ba's the one that keeps people just for there [sic] athletic ability." Please show me where I said that. I don't recall it. If you can provide a link, I'll own up to it.

I still ask, what is BA hiding? I appreciate the fact that you gave answers, but do you really think they are valid? Come on! 100% graduation rate and the school says "no comment"?! I am having a hard time being convinced. I wish every school were clean, but the tight-lipped responses concern me.

This transcends whatever happens on the athletic fields. Schools should exist for academics first, and when a school that charges money for entrance doesn't give the full picture of academic-related information, while others do, then parents may want to second guess if their money is well spent at that school. Let me ask another question. If I am a parent of a prospective BA student, and I ask school officials for the data in question, would they give me the same "no comment" response?

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-12-02 11:58P]

bafan01, please allow me to add one more point. It's obvious that BA and MBA have a rivalry, and I want the school I support to beat all schools, including BA. But, as a private school supporter, I support BA to a small extent (believe it or not).

Due to many successes on the football field with such a small school enrollment, BA has become the target of allegations of "unethical" practices. Actually, any time any private school wins, it seems that school is the target of allegations - it's just that BA gets the lion's share of criticism. Now, I have stated my experiences with former and prospective BA players, and those are real life experiences for me. However, many of the people on the public/private thread don't have direct experiences with BA players/students/families/etc., and thus make their allegations based on PERCEPTION. Circling back to the issue at hand, the NBJ tables would have been a perfect opportunity for BA officials to say, "these are our outstanding graduation rates, standardized test scores, and teacher profiles". However, by declining to provide that information, it perpetuates the PERCEPTION that BA may not "play" the right way.

I did not post my original thread to strike down BA and give the anti-BA people the opportunity to pile on the issue. I asked the question more so to give BA supporters the opportunity to defend the school, and I welcome valid reasoning as to why that information was not shared in what looked to be a fairly "tell-all" environment for the private schools polled.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-13-02 12:19A]

"However, many of the people on the public/private thread don't have direct experiences with BA players/students/families/etc., and thus make their allegations based on PERCEPTION. "

Many people dont have any direct experiences with kids that go to private schools. Sure you might play them in sports, but that means nothing, you don't know why they are there, how much money there family makes, or anything like that. I played USJ in basketball four years ago...and I honestly have no clue about anything about those kids. I played ECS 7 times in 4 years in football, and I still don't know that much about them to tell you the truth. I agree with you rollredroll...why not show off what they did. BUT Hutchison and MUS two of the best academic schools in the TN did not publish where their graduates would be attending colleges, but some of the city schools did, as did my high school...and we all know that the MUS graduates are probably going to better schools on the whole, then the average run of the mill high school student.

Unlike most, if not all, of the posters so far in this thread, I go to BA. So let me tell you the truth about the school. It started 33 years ago under Headmaster Bill Brown with one mission: to "nurture and challenge the whole student -- body, mind, and spirit -- to the glory of God." It has stood by this goal faithfully. Is the football team important at Brentwood Academy?? Heck yeah. In fact, as a former Cross Country/Track runner I was often frustrated at the overshadowing popularity of the football team. But there has always been one thing more important: academics. The reason BA chose not to reveal its scores is the same reason it doesn't post championship banners at its facilities, provide class rank to colleges, or post season stats in the papers: it is humble, and wants what it does in the lives of its students to come out in other ways -- through its students themselves. If you want me to tell you some of the top SAT/ACT scores, I will. Trust me, they are very good. I got a 1460/32 and am not the top in my class. The graduation rate? 100%. National merit Semifinalists (finalists have not been announced)? 5 in a class of 90. We have an award-winning Math team, our Speech and Debate team recently took home a top 13 national finish, we had a Whittle Scholar (most elite scholarship at UT, only 10 are awarded), and we have a semi-new Headmaster (Curt Masters, in his 3rd year) committed to hiring the best faculty in the nation. Whereas my Brentwood High friends are reading John Grisham books for their Honors summer reading, I have read such greats as Hemingway, Shakespeare, C.S. Lewis, Arthur Miller, Woody Allen (!), Flannery O'Connor, and even John Milton. My class read Paradise Lost as Juniors. I have had multiple 20-page history tests. We recently hired a college counselor who was formerly the Admissions Director at Washington University in St. Louis. Our Spanish class took a trip to Cancun 2 years ago for real-life experience; last year the French students went to Paris.

Just football? No, don't give me that. Rollredroll, you couldn't be more accurate -- it's all about perception with most people when they criticize private schools. I encourage anyone who has any bones to pick with BA or anyone else to experience the school first. Please. If you have any further misgivings concerning the academics at Brentwood Academy, please post them so I can correct them. BA is academically one of the strongest schools in that state. And that didn't come from focusing solely on football.

[Edited by WesVols on 8-14-02 5:20P]

I have no problem what so ever with BA. But I do have a problem with how some of their students and football players act towards other people. I have seen it, heard it, and thought it was very rude. I honestly hope BA wins state in football, but having seen some of the off the field problems that former BA students have had, and then also seeing it for myself (taunting, threats, etc.) I can not say that BA is 100% great, but no school is, not mine, not BA, not MBA. BA is not a monestary, and shouldn't be compared to one, they are 14-18 year old young men and women. As I said earlier, I hope they win state again, and I hope the entire state knows that the best football teams are private schools.