Independence over Brentwood

TheGreatLineJudge

This did bring together the Schools that were playing the best at this time and avoided each of them not doing so and losing in District 11. From the time it took for the match, both schools were willing to stay out there all night. Hope both schools brought their Fans and Student Body's to see this classic match. This was a matchup that was looked at from all over the state and emails have been hot as to what was the results. Now you know.

Here is the article in "The Tennessean" by Jeff Lockridge:

Independence gets win over Brentwood in 11-AAA final

By Jeff Lockridge ??? THE TENNESSEAN ??? October 17, 2008

THOMPSON'S STATION ??” If the district tournament is just the start of the volleyball postseason drama, what will Independence and Brentwood do for an encore?

No. 2 seed Independence scored it biggest victory in school history Thursday night on its home floor, outlasting top seed and eight-time state champion Brentwood 25-15, 25-23, 20-25, 26-28, 20-18 in the District 11-AAA tournament final.

Both teams advance to the Region 6 tournament next week.

"We've been trying to get out of this district since I was a freshman," Independence senior Grace Perilli said. "State is ours now, there's no doubt in my mind. We have chemistry, we have skill, and most importantly, we have heart."

Independence squandered two match points in the fourth game before Lauren Kaufman put down Brentwood's second game point.

The fifth game was exhausting. The Lady Eagles grabbed a 9-3 lead only to see Brentwood win the next seven points. Independence had match points at 14 and 15, and the Lady Bruins had match points at 16, 17 and 18.

Finally up 19-18, Independence sophomore Caroline Carlton came up with the winning block.

District 11 has sent two teams to state in seven of the last eight seasons.

Independence (45-8) and Brentwood (39-18) needed four games to get through the semifinal elimination round.

Independence was comfortably ahead during most of a 25-19, 25-14, 23-25, 25-14 victory over No. 3 seed Centennial. Brentwood started slow and rallied for a 19-25, 25-22, 25-14, 25-20 win over No. 4 seed Ravenwood.

Ravenwood (38-14) controlled the opening game and was up 22-21 in the second thanks to the dominating net play of Meredith Richardson.

"We were so excited," Richardson said. "We thought we could actually do it."

Brentwood won the next four points behind Tiffany Shrivalle's serve and opened an 8-1 lead in the third game thanks to a collection of aces from Natalie Brown.

"We had to show everyone we still had it, that we were still Brentwood," Brown said. "The first game made us realize they weren't going to give it to us."

Centennial (25-14) put it together in the third game after an error-riddled first two games. Alison Woods' tip gave the Lady Cougars a 10-9 edge in the fourth and a window of opportunity, but Indy closed it quickly.

"We had all the momentum, but we just let them go on a couple of runs," Woods said. "I guess they really wanted to finish it."

Centennial's Sharon Rhinehart announced her retirement from coaching after the tournament. Her teams went 228-124 over seven seasons.

The loss is bound to stay with Williams.

"I'll never let it go," he says.

It doesn't bother him that his players think hard about it, too.

"During the course of the season," he says, "I'm hoping it adds motivation."

Lockridge did a good job summing up the match and the atmosphere. He told me before the match that he was pulling for three-straight match.. something about deadlines! He nearly got what he wanted, but Brentwood had other ideas. It was a thriller in every sense of the word and ought to go down as one of the great matches in Tennessee volleyball history.

Announcements