Grainger Grizzlies

bigbluefan4ever

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anxious to see the next Carter and Grainger game. Being a great team they should take 'Carter. Carter is 3rd in the knox AA district. I think they will have to spread the scoring around though to beat them because they will blanket McBee.

Sorry if you thought carter has come up with the new way to guard McBee. Blanketing McBee is definitely not a new theory when playing Grainger. But, you are definitely right when you say that they will need to spread the scoring around. At carter early in the year it seemed everyone was tight. They never played their game all night. Grainger has won close games when Skylar scored 30 and when he has scored 15. The key is not necessarily what he does, but how some of the other guys step up. If they are able to get a couple of other guys in double figures, it will be a good game to watch. Humphries and Farmer are very valuable and can be the guys to get to double figures. carter being third in the Knox AA district doesn't mean anything. A-E and Fulton are 1,2 in that district and maybe in the state. carter has a good team, but they know this will be the last time this year they will see Grainger. The odds of them finishing ahead of A-E or Fulton are slim and none. And that's not a knock on them, its just the fact they are playing out of a district with those two teams in it. Grainger has a better shot at going farther in the playoffs just for that fact alone. I've been suprised carter has been able to keep A-E or Fulton from stealing some of their top players that want to have a chance of playing past the district...

This being a Grainger thread...thats enough about carter. I can't remember anyone say Grainger is a Great team. We are definitely PROUD of our team! They have a very good team and have battled hard all year. Coach D and the staff have done a fantastic job getting the most out of each and every player. With a couple of district games left the worst they can do is a tie for 1st, but I know they want to win it out right. They have been a great tournament team the last few years. The district has a lot of tough teams in it and the district tournament at Grainger this year should be a good one. Good luck to the Grizzlies the rest of the way!

They are and he is. It's the same formula for success that the 1995-98 Rutledge girls used with his big sister and a big reason why the 1999-2002 Rutledge boys were so good when his big brother played. All the McBee kids have that "it" factor being the kids of a coach and just because they are extremely talented.

It's also a fact that Skylar spends a couple of hours just about every morning before class in the gym working the "it" factor and making "it" better. He's a worker and knows that to be a good player can be because you've been taught by a good coach/parent. But to be great takes lots and lots of work and lots and lots of love for the sport and the willingness to give all you've got to be successful.

• 2 weeks later...

It's also a fact that Skylar spends a couple of hours just about every morning before class in the gym working the "it" factor and making "it" better. He's a worker and knows that to be a good player can be because you've been taught by a good coach/parent. But to be great takes lots and lots of work and lots and lots of love for the sport and the willingness to give all you've got to be successful.

All those hours in the gym really paid off last night against Carter. Skylar was a little bit off in the first quarter, but as good shooters do...he kept shooting. By the second quarter he was hitting his stride and Carter didnt have anyone that could buckle down on defense and stop him. By the third quarter Grainger was hitting on all cylinders and Carter began to get frustrated. The Grizzlies built their lead and finished up winning by 18 after leading by 20 or more in the fourth.

Two big coaching moves that were key to the game...one by Coach D and one by Carters coach. Coach D went with a man to man all game after playing a lot of matchup zone this year. This was key to the Grizzlies success in the game. The Carter coach changed his lineup and did not start Meady the 6'9" tower in the middle. This really helped Grainger more than Carter, because they could match up with only one big man easier than both of them at the same time. I think Carter started a player to try and play Defense on McBee. This didnt seem to work last night as he dropped 44 points on them.

Really a great game for the Grizzlies last night. Its a shame you didnt get to see this one.

Well the Grizzlies took on Cherokee last night and won 61-49 (I believe). They played a fairly good overall game, but I believe that if it wasn't for Farmer's 28 points they would have lost that game. Skylar was definately having one of them not-so-good nights, and it seemed as though something else was bothering him causing him not to focus as much as his dad, Doug, had to keep telling him to focus. Its just a good thing Bruce wasn't there last night, but then again it just proves he is human after all because not everyone can be perfect night in, night out. Farmer had 7 three pointers last night, and the most I've ever seen him hit in one game has been four. He was just feeling it last night, that's all you can about him. Well, I would just like to wish the boys good luck tonight at Hancock Co., and good luck Tuesday night against Seymour on Senior Night. Maybee Skylar will be playing alot better then.

More like McBee Grizzlies...and go McBee. But all jokes aside. Its a good team with a great player. The kid is amazing. Good luck to Grainger!

That's funny, but somewhat true. Skylar is a great player on a good team. He is an amazing player but had an off night last night. But all us McBee fans can look past that because he's going to have more great games than he is awful games.

Great to see Farmer light it up. It's nice when your ace is having a bad night and there are others capable of picking up the slack.

That's 4-0 against the IMAC this year and 5-0 overall against AAA schools. Not too shabby.

I agree it was great to see Farmer light it up Thursday against Cherokee. Farmer shot the lights out hitting 7 threes in rout to 28 pts. If he and Humphrey are able to continue to be scoring threats along with Skylar the Grizzlies are at there best.

One thing people don't get to see in the box scores is that when McBee was doubled or triple teamed he found the open man for the shot. People that are saying he didn't play well are looking soley at points. He probably had double digit assists last night against Cherokee. He does whatever he has to do to help this team.

Tony Jones came all the way over to Hancock County to see Skylar tonight. He didn't arrive until halftime...wonder if he got lost trying to find it. The game was more like a wrestling match than a basketball game. Skylar did not play his best in the first half, but he took the ball to the rim 6-8 times in the second half and lived to tell about it. I was worried he would get hurt before they could get him out, but they held on for a 12-14 point win after being up about 20 or so.

This is at least 5 times UT has been at his games this season.

If he tried coming in from Knoxville through Maynardville he might've gotten lost. Coming in through Tazewell is a long way and coming from Forge Ridge is extremely windy.

Yeah that's what outside observers don't see. He's been getting that for quite a while. How many times do you see a guard get doubled everywhere he goes?

I think UT is just as interested in the assist as they are the points. Sounds like they are seriously considering offering Skylar a scholarship. Like I said Grainger has an opportunity to go deep in the tournament if the other players (farmer etc.) are able to contribute so a double of triple team will not hurt them. I think the way to Murfreesboro is through Knoxville in AA so sounds like they are already working on a plan!