District 13 AA

wtspfan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is always one of the toughest districts in the state but this is how I rank the order of finish on what the teams have comin back

1.Gibson County

2. Martin Westiview

3.Obion Central

4.Dyersburg

5.Milan

6.Dyer Co

7.Crockett Co

Just wondering....Where would you have predicted OC to be had Reedy not transferred to GC??..The games pitting the top three teams in this district against each other are going to be wars...

1) Gibson Co. - We return Heather Butler, Heather Griffin, Jeniqua Jennings, Brittney Garner, Erica Schlesinger and have probably the best Freshman class to come through GC in a very very long time! We also got a transfer in from Obion Co. this year in Aubrey Reedy. She'll definately be a big addition to the team. GC is going to be VERY deep and should make a valid run for a state championship.

2) Westview - The return Amber Rechis and Grace Ann Swaim. Those 2 girls did the majority of the scoring but they also return everyone back from last years team. I see Westview making their way back to the 'boro after a few years away from it. I believe they'll take the #2 spot in 13AA.

3) Obion Co. - The return probably the best player in 13AA in Chassidy Fussell. She alone, will beat many teams this year by herself. The loss of Aubrey Reedy was a HUGE loss for this team whether some admit it or not. Obion Co. and Milan will fight it out for the #3 and #4 spots.

4) Milan - They lost the duo of Chantel Poston and Shaniqua Gray but they do return quite a bit from last years team. They will return Julianne Joyner, Sarah Hamm, Perika Glenn, and the Simpson girl. If Milan can get a good PG out of this group that can handle a press like Gibson Co.'s, then Milan would definately finish in front of OC. IF Milan doesn't find a solid PG this year that can't handle the press, then they will finish in the #4 spot.

5) Dyersburg - Dyersburg will be down some this year but will still have some athletes. They lost their star player in Victoria McLin due to graduation as well as their starting PG, Allison Petty. I do remember that Dyersburg had some younger talent. Unfortunately, the top 4 teams are just better.

6) Dyer Co. - They lost the heart and soul of their team in Cali Cupples. This team was a AA powerhouse back in the day but they seem to be down over the past couple of years. They also lost 4 other Seniors to graduation. Their only key player they have back off of last years team is #3, Jessica Jones.

7) Crockett Co. - Unfortunately for Crockett Co. they play against the toughest AA opponents in the state. They lost a key player in Kala Tyus. That was the only player they lost to graduation last year. Unfortunately, it was their best player. Crockett Co. is/was young and they have nowhere to go but up. Good Luck to the Cavs this year!

Dist. 13AA MVP will be between Butler and Fussell. They are both very talented and boy would it be nice if they both ended up at Union University in 2 years!!!! Coach Campbell at Union might just want to stay local and get players out of 13AA, lol... This district is definately loaded at every position.

I think butler is the best player in the region followed closely by the OC's star and westview's star. The only problem for her (as far as winning MVP) is that she has a lot on the court that she will have to share with where as in the other two cases they are the main option by far! The crazy thing is that all the top 5 players in teh district/ region are in the same class (jrs). (correct me if i'm wrong) Butler, Griffin, Fussell, Reichis, Swain.

I dont think There will be much of a war this year involving any team facing GC. I mean everybody can have a down day but from what i know they are by far teh best team. As for "handing anybody a gold ball" that hasnt previously had success at state is not a wise comment. 1) We dont know anything about some other teams that have had great success in the boro that will most likely be back along with GC. 2) Experience (successful experience) is a lot more important than you may think. Nerves are a bi*@#. LOL

I also think Dyer Co. will be higher up b/c they had a lot of good young athletes playing last year. Milan and DC are switched in my book. Just waaaaaaay too much to replace for Milan!

Guest nwtnsports

1) Gibson Co.

2) Westview

3) Obion Central

4) Milan

5) Dyersburg

6) Dyer Co.

7) Crockett Co.

My preseason All-District Team:

GC - Butler, Griffin, Reedy

WHS - Rechis, Swaim

OC - Chassidy Fussell

MHS - Perica Glenn

DHS - Jessica Light

DCHS - Jessica Jones

nwtn, you think Dyersburg will beat out Milan?????..... Dyersburg lost their PG and star player in McLin. Milan did lose Gray and Poston but if they can find a good PG that can handle the press they will contend for the #3 spot.

Coach, Milan also has the big post player in Perika Glenn that is a Junior this year, I believe. The Jr. class in 13AA is loaded!

Guest nwtnsports

GCP, I just went back and edited my post. I did think about putting Dyersburg up there. Even though the Lady Trojans lose McLin, they return senior Jessica Light. But on second look, the Lady Bulldogs should have the talent to compete for that fourth spot.

Here's my report on Milan that I put up over the summer:

Returning starters: Perica Glenn (6' Jr C, 10 ppg); Dequashia Simpson (5'11" Sr F, 7 ppg); Julianne Joyner (5'4" Sr G, 5 ppg)

Additional returning key players: Sarah Hamm (5'8" Sr G, 6 ppg); Ashley Caldwell (5'8" Jr F); Crystal Bledsoe (5'2" Jr G)

Positives:

Defense. Glenn is a force inside. Simpson is consistent, dependable. She plays hard - my pick for "unsung hero" on last season's team. Joyner is aggressive.

Experience. Each of the returning Lady Bulldogs played in the '08 state tournament. Three-pointers from Joyner and Hamm really pushed past Upperman in the semifinals. All-tournament pick Glenn played really well at state; great game holding 6'3" Karissa Dyer from Upperman to four points. Simpson was there, with tough play and rebounding. Then, the younger players got in against Creek Wood and Upperman.

Leadership. Coach Volbert might have had his doubters, after losing in the regionals four consecutive years. But, he's seen this program turn around - from 5-21 his first season in '02-'03 to a school-record 29 wins, first trip to state since '81 and district championship in '08. There will be four seniors on the roster, too.

Concerns:

It's a new season. Gone are two of the most talented Lady Bulldogs in recent years. Gray's speed, ball handling and floor vision. Poston's jump shot, defense and passion. The challenge for this season's team is to pick up where they left off last year - being competitive in the district and having a successful season.

Guard play. It was obvious that when Gray was out of the game, Milan had lots of trouble getting the ball up the court (such as in the region championship). They must have a strong point guard, because we know they'll see the full-court press.

Outside shooting. Same for the past few years, Milan can score in the paint or hit the jumper. But, they need a consistent three-point threat for balance. Talent is there - Joyner, Hamm and a couple of the younger guards - but they need to hit shots every game.

You can hand Gibson County the Gold Ball for the next two years. Aubrey Reedy is the real deal and the missing piece to Kevin McMillens puzzle. Now they have depth at every position. Heather Butler will be MVP of the region and she has alot of help with Jennings and Griffin and many others.

The kiss of death!

Same ole story just a different year. Until 13AA wins a gold ball, there are no guarantees. I think Marshall Co still has a stud down there headed to MTSU.

Everybody needs a .......... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

This is always one of the toughest districts in the state but this is how I rank the order of finish on what the teams have comin back

1.Gibson County

2. Martin Westiview

3.Obion Central

4.Dyersburg

5.Milan

6.Dyer Co

7.Crockett Co

Looks pretty good!

1. Gibson County

2. Martin Westview

3. Dyersburg

4. Milan