Advice needed..School choice

bigguy300

My son is a JR on the baseball team and we are really looking forward to baseball this season we will contend to win our district they are working hard everyday...my kids love baseball i love football i do not know where i went wrong lol my 16 yr old is 6'1 about 185 so he has pretty good size too...But i would seriously talk to coaches that you are looking for him to go..is your son in 7th grade or 8th grade right now? if he is in 7th over the spring i would go and watch a lot of baseball and talk to coaches to be honest though the metro school are weak in baseball but i would visit teams and meet coaches then in fall do the same in football if he is in 8th grade i would go watch the school that wont make the playoffs that way you can go to the playoffs to watch the other schools but i would talk the head coach and i would watch their teams

My son is in 8th grade this year. I'm lucky, he loves Football. But he is just as "Stand outish" in Baseball so I can't discount its importance. I must admit that if it weren't for him playing baseball I'd never watch it, lol

Thanks for the info and advice. It's good to get outside views on it. If you ever have any other advice I'd love to hear it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

Thought this would be a good place to start.

I just moved to Nashville from Atlanta, and need some advice as it pertains to my 13yo/8th grade son and which school to send him to next year. Not knowing anything about Nashville or its school systems I took a job up here and found a nice house on the west side of town (West Meade). It didn't take me long to find that the public school system here is not as good as the one we left in Atlanta. They do offer APP courses which my son is taking advantage of, but the Athletics are far inferior. We are zoned for Hillwood and as you may or may not know they have won 1 game in the last 3+ years.

In Gwinnett County Georgia, where We moved from, the public schools are KING. It didn't take me long to figure out that Private Schools Rule this city. Should I send my son to Hillwood and role the dice, or join the ranks and fork up $10-$20k for Private School? Will the rezoning of Hillwood cause better student/athletes to return to the Public school system, or is it too late?

FYI, my son is a Top Tier Student-Athlete. I am biased, but I have coached 14 DIV-1 football players in the past 12 years and know what a Top-Tier Athlete looks like, and my son is one. 13yo, 5'11" 150lbs, 4.85-40, Cannon of an arm, smart, hits like a train, super glue hands, can pretty much do it all. Most likely top out at around 6'3" - 6'5" be a Tightend or Wide Receiver in HS, but has played everything but DT and OL in his 1st 7 years of playing.

Also, we are not Wealthy.

So what would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer on the subject.

I can tell you that while there is unfortunately a well deserved negative connotation for Metro-Nashville Public Schools, Hillsboro is one of the few Metro Public schools that doesn't work like the rest, but that is still where they receive the majority of their funding.

Now, that being said, Hillsboro is the best non-magnet public school in Nashville and as you're probably aware is very close to Hillwood. Hillsboro Football is very strong and has been one of the top public school programs in Middle TN over the past decade. Also, Hillsboro is currently ranked 4th academically amongst all public schools (including magnet schools) in the entire state of TN by Newsweek behind only Martin Luther King, Hume-Fogg, and Brentwood and ranked 397th in the nation.

Also, Hillsboro has the unique status of "open enrollment" as a MNPS school meaning a student can choose to attend Hillsboro even if they aren't zoned for school there. The only requirement is for the student to arrange for their own transportation. However, a nice luxury is that there is a city bus stop right in front of Hillsboro High School. There are some "bad seeds" that manage to still be at Hillsboro due to the fact that it still is a public school and the natural problems that come with that, but you should find that Hillsboro has a very dedicated faculty and staff overall and if a student and their parents truly desire to find a top notch public high school education in the Metro-Nashville area, they can and will likely find it at Hillsboro.

Also, the Hillsboro Football program has built a very strong tradition over the past decade. Since 2000, Hillsboro football has finished with more than 2 losses in a single season (playoffs included) once, in 2004 when they lost in the first round of the playoffs. Also, during that time frame they have made at least the semifinal round of the 4A playoffs all but two years (in 2004 and 2007 in the quarterfinals). They have have finished as 4A State Runner-Up 3 times (2001, 2002, and 2006 all to Maryville) and were the 2003 4A State Champions. Under Head Coach Scott Blade (3rd year at Hillsboro) who is originally from California and was a standout LB and teammate of Marshall Faulk at San Diego State , Hillsboro has successfully transitioned from a Wing-T offensive philosophy to the Spread. Last year's top WR from Hillsboro Demetrius Garrett signed a football scholarship with the Naval Academy.

I sincerely hope that Hillwood's rezoning will benefit the school overall and it will become a top notch MNPS high school. Granted, I know Mose Phillips, the Head Football Coach at Hillwood well because he graduated from Hillsboro years ago and used to teach at Hillsboro just a few years ago. In fact, I would recommend Coach Mose Phillips in a heartbeat, but unfortunately, I can't say the same for Hillwood as a whole at least not yet.

If you seek a non-magnet public high school in the Metro-Nashville area with great academics and a great football program, I can't recommend anywhere else but Hillsboro High School. Good luck with your decision.

That was one of my questions, do you think that if the rezoning takes effect next year, some of the more athletic and talented kids will start going to their zoned Hillwood Cluster instead of Private School? And will the drop to 4A, which they most likely will do with less than 1000 students, help them be more competitive?

Since Hillwood is not passing the grade I do have the right to apply for Hillsboro but don't know much about them. Thanks for the advice, I will check them out.

Would you consider Private School, if you could get 50-90% of the tuition in Financial Aid?

From my understanding, Hillwood would be staying in 5A after the realignment, but don't quote me on that, they could very well be dropping to 4A I'm not sure. Even if they do, I really don't see them being ultra competitive for a good amount of time. I don't see kids passing up private schools to go to Hillwood until Hillwood proves they can win. Unfortunately, Hillwood won't win too much until they get better talent, kind of a vicious cycle actually.

I would recommend a private school if you can get them in of course, both for academic and athletic reasons. MBA and David Lipscomb are 2 Nashville private schools that are a force in football each year, those are the first to pop into my mind at least.

Greetings,

I just moved to Nashville from Atlanta, and need some advice as it pertains to my 13yo/8th grade son and which school to send him to next year. Not knowing anything about Nashville or its school systems I took a job up here and found a nice house on the west side of town (West Meade). It didn't take me long to find that the public school system here is not as good as the one we left in Atlanta. They do offer APP courses which my son is taking advantage of, but the Athletics are far inferior. We are zoned for Hillwood and as you may or may not know they have won 1 game in the last 3+ years.

In Gwinnett County Georgia, where We moved from, the public schools are KING. It didn't take me long to figure out that Private Schools Rule this city. Should I send my son to Hillwood and role the dice, or join the ranks and fork up $10-$20k for Private School? Will the rezoning of Hillwood cause better student/athletes to return to the Public school system, or is it too late?

FYI, my son is a Top Tier Student-Athlete. I am biased, but I have coached 14 DIV-1 football players in the past 12 years and know what a Top-Tier Athlete looks like, and my son is one. 13yo, 5'11" 150lbs, 4.85-40, Cannon of an arm, smart, hits like a train, super glue hands, can pretty much do it all. Most likely top out at around 6'3" - 6'5" be a Tightend or Wide Receiver in HS, but has played everything but DT and OL in his 1st 7 years of playing.

So what would you do? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer on the subject.

You owe it to yourself and to your son to talk to the privates, they all offer financial aid based on your circumstances (MBA has the most to offer). Very few 8th graders get athletic scholarships, of course some do, but the odds are against them. Some 8th grade studs stop growing, others get injured, and some just lose interest. That makes education the key. I of course am biased but MBA is the best school in the state. They offer great athletics, but better academics. MBA annually produces more National Merit Scholars then any school in the state, they send their graduates to the finest colleges and universities in the country. Their debate and theater programs are nationally ranked. The music program is exceptional. MBA is in a phase right now where the whole school is hitting on all cylinders so to speak.

One other thing to consider is to take a look at the facilities, there is no comparison in both athletic and academic facilities when you look at public vs. private.

Do yourself a favor and take a look. Call the schools, Greg Farrell is the Head of Admissions at MBA, they will be having their open house in the upcoming weeks.

You owe it to yourself and to your son to talk to the privates, they all offer financial aid based on your circumstances (MBA has the most to offer). Very few 8th graders get athletic scholarships, of course some do, but the odds are against them. Some 8th grade studs stop growing, others get injured, and some just lose interest. That makes education the key. I of course am biased but MBA is the best school in the state. They offer great athletics, but better academics. MBA annually produces more National Merit Scholars then any school in the state, they send their graduates to the finest colleges and universities in the country. Their debate and theater programs are nationally ranked. The music program is exceptional. MBA is in a phase right now where the whole school is hitting on all cylinders so to speak.

One other thing to consider is to take a look at the facilities, there is no comparison in both athletic and academic facilities when you look at public vs. private.

Do yourself a favor and take a look. Call the schools, Greg Farrell is the Head of Admissions at MBA, they will be having their open house in the upcoming weeks.

Very few 8th graders get athletic scholarships.

I meant this to mean scholarships to college. No athletes get scholarships to private high schools, all financial aid is need based, and that is a rule that all of the schools agreed to for a student to be eligible in the TSSAA.

If you absolutly must stay in Nashville, try to stay in the Hillsboro area for sure. Murfreesboro is too far a commute if you are working in the city, but do have a good system. The most logical choice is to move to WILCO. Williamson county has some of the best schools in the state and great football teams every year. (Brentwood and Franklin are both top 10 football teams in the state this year) and region 6-5A has had someone in the last several state championship games. Most people would complain about price of living, but should still be less than most of ATL area.

If you're son is wanting to play both baseball and football, Mt. Juliet has a great football and and baseball teams. Both are always in post season play and their teams compete very well. The football program at the freshman level went undefeated this year and the 8th grade bunch coming up will look to keep that streak alive. The baseball team is topps in the mid-state. They also have new facilities and a new school. Education is near the top in tennesse. Your major problem for your son will be transportationissues.

Other schools that have similar situations would be Riverdale High School, Franklin High School, Oakland High school, and a few of the private schools within your area. If he is just wanting to play football and get a good education; then by all means, he needs to go to Hillsboro High School

Greetings,

WELCOME TO NASHVILLE-

with all respect as i know you want your son to play for a great football team, you should be really asking where can my son get the best education and then about football programs. only a very select few get the chance to play at the college level and that even includes playing at DivIII,or NAIA school...have worked for a major university located in the midwest evaluating talent at the high school level and spent 15 years as o-cord for a major illinois catholic football powerhouse,and part of my duties was to look at tapes,attend games of middle school games in hopes to look for that stud.A small fraction, i mean really small of those in middle school could you predict as a cant miss prospect, and i am talking about cant miss prospect in high school-reason i do mention that is look for the education first-i know its important that you want your son to get the best of both worlds and you should but education then football. you also need to look at the programs as you said wr or te,well if you go to a goodpasture for example you best hope he can block downfield as maybe they put the ball up 7 times a game...So please do look at what kind of scheme the school runs on o and d....

Hillwood will struggle for a while, as hillsboro will always be in the running for a title, although should be fun seeing them with alot of the 6-5A teams ( 6-5a conference is almost like the SEC) Hillsboro runs a version of the spread so ball is all over the place- the one thing hillsoboro always does have is very gifted players as the skill posistion-

if i moved to nashville, being biased look at FATHER RYAN, otherwise without a question It would be MBA great education ( kids for most part can pick the college they want to attend ) great support and yeah team is darn good year after year, drawbacks cost about 22000 a year but sure some alums here can direct you to find aid...

unless you can move to williamson co, i would go private,,,,,,,,,,

WELCOME TO NASHVILLE-

with all respect as i know you want your son to play for a great football team, you should be really asking where can my son get the best education and then about football programs. only a very select few get the chance to play at the college level and that even includes playing at DivIII,or NAIA school...have worked for a major university located in the midwest evaluating talent at the high school level and spent 15 years as o-cord for a major illinois catholic football powerhouse,and part of my duties was to look at tapes,attend games of middle school games in hopes to look for that stud.A small fraction, i mean really small of those in middle school could you predict as a cant miss prospect, and i am talking about cant miss prospect in high school-reason i do mention that is look for the education first-i know its important that you want your son to get the best of both worlds and you should but education then football. you also need to look at the programs as you said wr or te,well if you go to a goodpasture for example you best hope he can block downfield as maybe they put the ball up 7 times a game...So please do look at what kind of scheme the school runs on o and d....

Hillwood will struggle for a while, as hillsboro will always be in the running for a title, although should be fun seeing them with alot of the 6-5A teams ( 6-5a conference is almost like the SEC) Hillsboro runs a version of the spread so ball is all over the place- the one thing hillsoboro always does have is very gifted players as the skill posistion-

if i moved to nashville, being biased look at FATHER RYAN, otherwise without a question It would be MBA great education ( kids for most part can pick the college they want to attend ) great support and yeah team is darn good year after year, drawbacks cost about 22000 a year but sure some alums here can direct you to find aid...

unless you can move to williamson co, i would go private,,,,,,,,,,

Let me correct a couple of misconceptions. First, yes MBA is expensive, but it is not $22,000 a year. I think this year it is about $18,000. As I said earlier depending on your circumstances financial aid is available. Secondly, while MBA is certainly a school that sends their graduates to the countries finest colleges and universities, the college application process is very competitive and MBA boys aren't able to walk right into Harvard or Yale. The advantage MBA offers is first an environment where all achievement is honored, whether it is football winning the State Championship or the debate team winning the National Championship. The peer pressure is for all students to work hard and do their best, the slacker or goof off is not looked up to. Most of the major colleges and universities, particularly those in the Southeast know MBA by reputation, and by the calibre of students MBA has sent them over the years. I was not at this meeting since my boys have graduated, but I was told that the speaker this year at the college counseling kickoff was the Dean of Admissions from Sewanee. He made the statement that the MBA boys go to Sewanee so well prepared that they do as well or better in college then they did in high school, while the average Sewanee students grades are about 1/2 point lower then high school. There are probably 20-25 MBA grads at Sewanee now. So he would know.

One last thought. There is a poster on this board Rollredroll. He has all the stats as to how the public schools stack up against the DII schools. The won/loss record is very lopsided in favor of the DII teams. The teams that have won the DII State Championship have never lost to a public school opponent during their championship season.

Thanks guys, for all the input. It really helps with the thought process.

Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have moved to Davidson County, but I did, and so here we are.

The General consensus seems to be that Hillwood should NOT be a consideration; I get that now!

In an attempt to shed better light on our son and expectations I give the following statement. Education is 1st. My son is an A-B student, which we are OK with considering his Athletic Schedules. We have always told our son that we as his parents will provide him with the tools to be successful. But that our Budget will not permit a Big Name College, especially out of state. So if he wants that type of College experience it will be on his shoulders to get there, whether it be through Academic or Athletic Scholarship. Basically, if he doesn't want to go to MTSU he better perform in class and/or on the field. He has accepted that challenge and expects to have options by his Senior year. I undertand that injuries and projected athleticism sometimes keep a kid from reaching the top shelf but I as a parent will not stand in his way, but rather advize and help with the big decisions, and this is one of them.

Thank you for all the school suggestions. I have looked into some of the programs you guys have mentioned and most are very good schools. I won't be making a decision anytime soon but will reflect on your comments when that time comes. The Main decision for now, since Private Schools are about to start admissions for next year, is to decide Private or Public.

Please feel free to send me any more suggestions you feel are applicable. Again thanks!