Z Plan

croz6110

half of the teams in each group in each district

so if an 8 team district has four 1A and four 2A teams then half of each group would be automatic qualifiers.

It looks to be each group would include both 1a and 2a...because it says if there are 6 teams...3 of them would qualify. How can 3 qualify if it does not include both? Do 1.5 teams qualify for each class?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks to be each group would include both 1a and 2a...because it says if there are 6 teams...3 of them would qualify. How can 3 qualify if it does not include both? Do 1.5 teams qualify for each class?

read the rule again:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3 automatic qualifiers;

3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

the "group" refers to the class for playoffs (1A, 2A, etc)

you will have 2 groups in each district for regular season play and then the groups will split for the playoffs with the top half of the teams in each group (rounding down for odd numbers) will get automatic playoff berths.

The mixing of 1A/2A with A/AA terminology is, I think, causing at least some of the confusion here. Think of 1A as "A-Small", 2A as "A-Large", 3A as "AA-Small", etc.

Then, if a district has (say) three large and three small teams, then you can gain an automatic in two ways: finish first in your subgroup, or top-2 overall. If you're the only small team in your district, then you can only get an automatic by way of finishing first or second overall.

The way I read it is as follows. If you have a 3A&4A region with 9 total teams (2 from 3A and 7 from 4A), you would have 1 auto qualify from 3A (50%) and 3 slots from 4A(will not be rounded up, i.e no 3.5). What really stinks about this is the second team in 3A could have a great season but not qualify due to having a strong 4A region and not getting a wild card due to another region being heavy in 3A and light in 4A (ie 7 3A teams and 2 4a teams).

The way I read it is as follows. If you have a 3A&4A region with 9 total teams (2 from 3A and 7 from 4A), you would have 1 auto qualify from 3A (50%) and 3 slots from 4A(will not be rounded up, i.e no 3.5). What really stinks about this is the second team in 3A could have a great season but not qualify due to having a strong 4A region and not getting a wild card due to another region being heavy in 3A and light in 4A (ie 7 3A teams and 2 4a teams).

that is definitely a downside to this system, but it is what it is, at least for the next 4 years.

I was looking at the district breakdowns, and I came up with a question.

In Class A, which will be comprised of 1A and 2A teams, I noticed there are some districts with only one 1A team or only one 2A team.

From what I read about the playoffs next year, you're guaranteed playoffs if you place in the top 2 in the district or if you're a 1A team and you defeat all the other 1A teams in your district. Same for 2A teams.

If there is only one 1A or 2A team in a district, do they get a guaranteed playoff spot, even if they don't win a game in the district.

They would be the top team in their class within the district.

Help me out people.

Yes you could have a lot of teams with losing records make the playoffs if my read is correct. In my previous example, if you had a region with 2 3A teams and 7 4A teams it could go like this. The 3A teams could lose all their games to the 4A teams along with their pickup games and the one that beats the other would automatically qualify for the playoffs with a record of 1-9 ( I hope I don't have to diagram that sentence). I could be wrong but like all things from the TSSAA, I think the scenarios were thought out poorly. a good example would be last years teams from the same region facing each other in the first round.