THE EAST TN RIVALRY

ArtVandalay

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post. I hope you're wrong too. Can you tell us how much Science Hill has improved since the South game. I know south has improved more than I would have ever imagined at the time.

I think that the South game was evident of the how the season would play out. We lost, but the margin of victory for South was not as much as in 07, and we fought very hard (it was 21-19 for the longest time before Taylor Fletcher put it away). Science Hill has always had the athletes, but Coach Smith did some interesting things last season. Before some "Topper" gets on here and bites my head off, get real, you know he did. This season, as I've stated before, he has made the playbook suitable to the players, and not the other way around. As a result, he's holding up his end of the bargin, and nobody is really questioning his hiring anymore. Also, Coach Overbay always has his defense fighting, but it seems like more of a collective effort this year from the coaching staff. Last season, Coach Smith worked primarily with the offense, as he does now, but this season he has been alot more hands-on with the defense, and that has paid dividends. I think it comes down to senior leadership this year, they've got seniors that simply refuse to lose. Last season's team simply didn't have that, this season's seniors were leaders last year as juniors. Before anybody disagrees, I was a senior on last season's team, and it might be calling myself and my boys out, but thats just how it is. There isn't much physical improvement, for like I said, athleticism was not the issue, it is that the mentality of winners is there now. They take offense to losing. It bothers them. It bothered some of us last year, but others played multiple sports and could care less, they were just biding their time till the next sport. This season, it seems like each of the guys have a common goal, they are behind each other, and there is unity. Last season, there was some devision among players, and that was key to our landslide that occurred after starting very well. So I can't say "well hey, the line is blocking better, the D is tackling, the O is putting up numbers" because they aren't blowing anyone's mind, but what I can say is that there is a collective effort to get the job done, and that is the difference between this season (7-2 w/ 1 left tonight) and last season (3-7, L 6 in a row). For the sensative "Toppers" that are going to get on here and tear my post apart, think about it, I might be on to something. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think that the South game was evident of the how the season would play out. We lost, but the margin of victory for South was not as much as in 07, and we fought very hard (it was 21-19 for the longest time before Taylor Fletcher put it away). Science Hill has always had the athletes, but Coach Smith did some interesting things last season. Before some "Topper" gets on here and bites my head off, get real, you know he did. This season, as I've stated before, he has made the playbook suitable to the players, and not the other way around. As a result, he's holding up his end of the bargin, and nobody is really questioning his hiring anymore. Also, Coach Overbay always has his defense fighting, but it seems like more of a collective effort this year from the coaching staff. Last season, Coach Smith worked primarily with the offense, as he does now, but this season he has been alot more hands-on with the defense, and that has paid dividends. I think it comes down to senior leadership this year, they've got seniors that simply refuse to lose. Last season's team simply didn't have that, this season's seniors were leaders last year as juniors. Before anybody disagrees, I was a senior on last season's team, and it might be calling myself and my boys out, but thats just how it is. There isn't much physical improvement, for like I said, athleticism was not the issue, it is that the mentality of winners is there now. They take offense to losing. It bothers them. It bothered some of us last year, but others played multiple sports and could care less, they were just biding their time till the next sport. This season, it seems like each of the guys have a common goal, they are behind each other, and there is unity. Last season, there was some devision among players, and that was key to our landslide that occurred after starting very well. So I can't say "well hey, the line is blocking better, the D is tackling, the O is putting up numbers" because they aren't blowing anyone's mind, but what I can say is that there is a collective effort to get the job done, and that is the difference between this season (7-2 w/ 1 left tonight) and last season (3-7, L 6 in a row). For the sensative "Toppers" that are going to get on here and tear my post apart, think about it, I might be on to something. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I have enjoyed reading the posts, etc and while I follow SHHS sports and attend games I don't have the inside scoop or close knowledge to post often. I can post on what I have witnessed from game to game and I do believe there is some physical improvement in this years team, but most importantly I agree with you that the mentality is different.

Last year there was a lot of posts regarding what SHHS was going to do and it backfired. Asking too much too soon on a team trying to adjust to a new coach and philosophy. (just look at what an offensive coordinator has done to a team in Knoxville) There was a division last year between the players but to what extent you would know best as you were there. One thing we as the Topper Nation don't have this year is some parents using Coach T to promote their sons thus creating more division. The players do read Coach T and I for one appreciate the fact that there is not any self promotion going on and more of a total team type of discussion from you and others. Sure there are play makers that will get more press time than others but so far this season many players have gotten some recognition for their contributions.

Looking forward to a good game tonight and we will all get to watch it without the aid of ponchos and umbrellas!

Go Toppers and best of luck to the Indians....next week

25 is out. I think the Indians will still win the game, but really hate it for Ash. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Adams is a great player and I hope he can get back soon.A big Alabama fan was telling me that he thinks Adams is going to play for them next year.It's a shame that{ Wide Reciever U} doesn't have an offense this year.I'd like to see him at Tennessee.

Adams is a great player and I hope he can get back soon.A big Alabama fan was telling me that he thinks Adams is going to play for them next year.It's a shame that{ Wide Reciever U} doesn't have an offense this year.I'd like to see him at Tennessee.

He was on UT's sideline the first half, so they are definitely aware of him. Would be great if they offer.

I heard some fool called in a bomb threat today at DB.I hope all is well and they find a nice soft place for the individual to sleep over the next few years .

yep. It stunk sitting out in the sun in the middle of the day. Saw a couple of fights, that was great. One almost lead to someone falling off the top of the railing.