IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

Lady Red built a 20 point lead by the time the starters will pulled with about 1 minute to go. But CCHS was behind 27-26 with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd. Then Shannon took over and put the game away. PTS will have the stats but we shot something close to 20-25% in the 1st half and most were within 6-8 feet. I would think that our turnover number was very high. It seemed we like we were playing too fast - just a bit out of control. We gave up many shots out of their offense - many close range that just did not go it. Our defense was not strong, though it was a very physical game. We had 2 new officials that I had not seen before. There was not lots of energy on the court as there was in our first game. We might have been looking past Pigeon Forge to Science Hill this afternoon the first of 3 with SH and DB on Saturday. I suspect if we play with the same energy as last night against SH and then DB, it will be a struggle for us, though I look for us to play very hard against both of them. By week's end I think we will have a better picture of where we stand early in the year.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last opinion on handling players-Everyone has their own opinion of how and what a coach should do. However there are many of us that are not in that position and truly don't know how we would react. As a coach you are under heavy pressure from all aspects. (home, school, basketball, winning, fans) So for us to sit here and say what should and should not be done is not fair to anyone! Let the coach do their job and if you are so strong with how you feel and you support that coach as much as you say then go and talk to them on the side. Don't get on this message board and say stuff. If you had a daughter play for her then you truly would know how she cares about each person on the team. So if your really concerned about her antics then be a true supporter and talk to her on the side. If you can't do that then just enjoy the game. Its amazing that there is a few that have seen her pull that player by the jersey, however I know many that never even noticed it. So please for her sake and other coaches be a true supporter and talk to them personally if you have a concern.

Now on to the season. Morristown West is going to be very strong this year. I have seen that they like to get up and down the floor. They like to shoot quick, but don't play defense as well. They should have a shot to make it to state. Greeneville is young at most positions, however if all the players will live up to the expectations of GHSBBallfan then they have a shot at making it back to the state. Cocke County will be the only other contender in the IMAC this year. Their success does not fall on Depew. She has been pretty consistent for two years now. What they need is Buda to step up her game and become more of a threat on the offensive end. She plays extremely hard, but needs to quit being so passive. Jeff County, Morristown East and Cherokee will get better as the year goes on and may upset someone.

End of Year Predictions:

1. Greeneville

2. Morristown West

3. Cocke County

4. Jeff County

5. Morristown East

6. Cherokee

Player of the year:

Nicole Dickson

Newcomer of the year:

Hall from Morristown West

Fresman of the year:

Chandler Christopher

Coach of the Year:

Coach Crumbley

Coach Galyon

Last opinion on handling players-Everyone has their own opinion of how and what a coach should do. However there are many of us that are not in that position and truly don't know how we would react. As a coach you are under heavy pressure from all aspects. (home, school, basketball, winning, fans) So for us to sit here and say what should and should not be done is not fair to anyone! Let the coach do their job and if you are so strong with how you feel and you support that coach as much as you say then go and talk to them on the side. Don't get on this message board and say stuff. If you had a daughter play for her then you truly would know how she cares about each person on the team. So if your really concerned about her antics then be a true supporter and talk to her on the side. If you can't do that then just enjoy the game. Its amazing that there is a few that have seen her pull that player by the jersey, however I know many that never even noticed it. So please for her sake and other coaches be a true supporter and talk to them personally if you have a concern.

Now on to the season. Morristown West is going to be very strong this year. I have seen that they like to get up and down the floor. They like to shoot quick, but don't play defense as well. They should have a shot to make it to state. Greeneville is young at most positions, however if all the players will live up to the expectations of GHSBBallfan then they have a shot at making it back to the state. Cocke County will be the only other contender in the IMAC this year. Their success does not fall on Depew. She has been pretty consistent for two years now. What they need is Buda to step up her game and become more of a threat on the offensive end. She plays extremely hard, but needs to quit being so passive. Jeff County, Morristown East and Cherokee will get better as the year goes on and may upset someone.

End of Year Predictions:

1. Greeneville

2. Morristown West

3. Cocke County

4. Jeff County

5. Morristown East

6. Cherokee

Player of the year:

Nicole Dickson

Newcomer of the year:

Fresman of the year:

Chandler Christopher

Coach of the Year:

Coach Crumbley

Coach Galyon

very well said!!!!!

Now my picks

1.Morristown West; they are loaded but Hall is a game changer

2/3. Greeneville/Cocke Co.; I straddle the fence: GHS because they have track record and Dixon but Cocke county has Depew,Buda,Pruitt,Sprouse and Lewis plus a fired up new coach so I lean a little towards CCHS at second

4.Morristown East; Because I love the underdog(and my daughter plays there) Leeper, Hale, Orrick and Blaylock are a handfull offensively and defensively.

5. Jefferson could easily be a spoiler at 3 or 4 with the talent they have.; Nelson is a playmaker and she has a good supporting cast with hard workers like Mcwilliams and Kyle

6. Cherokee will have some upsets I think but youth will undermind consistency.

Player of the year; I'll go out on a limb a say Taylor Hall(more diverse D1 player)

Freshman; I'll agree with Chandler and what a great kid

Coach; Livesay (cause hopefully East can surprise even me and win the conference) /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

ha ha almost sounded like I knew what I was talking about /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

End of Year Predictions:

1. Greeneville

2. Morristown West

3. Cocke County

4. Jeff County

5. Morristown East

6. Cherokee

Player of the year:

Nicole Dickson

Newcomer of the year:

Fresman of the year:

Chandler Christopher

Coach of the Year:

Coach Crumbley

Coach Galyon

greenevillefan, I appreciate your opinions and I like and agree with most of your predictions. I think Coach Crumbley learned a valuable lesson in dealing with Johnny Galyon last year. She now has his number and I am confident will not let that happen again even with the "newcomer" in the picture, so I'm sticking with my prediction that CC will be the tricky team this year--like us, they are strong at every position. Other than that, you are probably right on. I have no doubts about this teams ability as long as their self-confidence is nurtured which leads me to my final comment on....

"Handling" players (your language supports my point) -- Ultimately, it is the parents' and the administration's responsibility. I just hope she gets a handle on it before it gets to that point. You're right, the pressure is not something that most would understand, I'm sure. What she should and could do are completely up to her but my comments on here were in direct response to barb's discouragement and agreement with her position on physicality with the players by ANY coach. I'm afraid you might be living in a vacuum if you think the 3 or 4 posters on here are the only ones that noticed. It was evident on many shocked faces in the stands and in the comments I heard between games. I've noticed LNR's presence (great move, by the way!) in our corner here lately...I'm sure he can give some good advice on how that can be a negative. My concern is that I would just hate to see that happen to Coach Crumbley because it's evident she gets so into it because she cares so much. I really do understand her passion and frustrations but this is just my opinion about something a coach should NOT do: Regarding any person in authority over a young person -- there's just absolutely never any reason to put your hands on a student in anger or frustration. We have a zero-tolerance policy in our schools that our students are expected to abide by. Coaches and teachers have the responsibility to set that example and what a honor it is to be able to show these young ladies how to master their emotions and excel under pressure.

That will be the key to our success this year because the pressure is ON...a tighter field than we've seen in recent years. Let's leave our final year in the IMAC triumphant! It's going to be a GREAT season -- Go Lady Devils!

Wow!! You have thrown down the glove!!! We at West will take you up on it!!! Now, we all know that Gville cheats with those refs, so a true test won't come until you come to little ole Mtown. I predict that Hall will be on the bench inside 4 minutes when we play up there. Glory was on the bench in two minutes last year and fouled out by the 3rd quarter. Hall isn't quite as good as Glory so it will take a bit longer for the Gville magic to work.

Oh, I heard Swaggerty (sp) is gone?? Any truth to that??

Wow!! You have thrown down the glove!!! We at West will take you up on it!!! Now, we all know that Gville cheats with those refs, so a true test won't come until you come to little ole Mtown. I predict that Hall will be on the bench inside 4 minutes when we play up there. Glory was on the bench in two minutes last year and fouled out by the 3rd quarter. Hall isn't quite as good as Glory so it will take a bit longer for the Gville magic to work.

Oh, I heard Swaggerty (sp) is gone?? Any truth to that??

My apologies, toughnut, I realize after looking at it that my post didn't convey the respect I have for MW. Our games will be close , I'm sure, it's just that Crumbley has grown so much in learning how to adjust and being more flexible with gameplans as was evidenced in our second matchup last year that was never really close -- bad or good refs wouldn't have made a difference. Hall will be a factor but I believe all those really great and sometimes unrecognized other Devilettes that play in Dickson's shadow sometimes will be a bigger and unknown factor. One of those might just emerge as the "breakthrough" player this year. Couldn't tell you for sure which one cause they are all so good.

Those refs aren't "ours" ... Unfortunately, they belong to all of the IMAC so before you accuse a program of cheating, I think if you do your homework, you'll see that most of them hail from your neck of the woods. I just have this uneasy feeling about the Lady Red for some reason this year -- didn't mean to dismiss MW in any way.

Regarding Glory and Hall fouling out, if Hall is as out of control and throws those illegal hooks and pushes like Glory did last year, you are right. But from what I've seen with the picky calling this year, it won't matter which venue we play in, unless you've got some "cheatin'" refs down there, there will be a LOT of girls in foul trouble this year on both sides of the ball. I've heard the refs have been instructed to really crack down pushing and shoving at the post position. It's going to be an adjustment...I just hope they are consistant.

Oh, and regarding Swaggerty, she is no longer on the team - a school discipline situation I heard but am not sure.

I've already got the sccop on the Bean Barn, /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> so the "everybody has the same refs" won't work. I've heard that Cocke gets the same breaks as Greeneville (notice correct spelling), so it's not just you. As a matter of fact, call me physco, but I think that West gets the worst breaks always!!

I've seen Dickson throw a few illegials during her time--pls don't argue that she doesn't!!

Now, you have lost 3 good guards and like it or not, it will take time to get the others up to speed. MWest and Cocke are in the catbird seat as far as returners--and MWest smeared Cocke over the summer--yes, I know things are different since the new coach.

Yes, I'm talking a little smack!!

/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Lady Red built a 20 point lead by the time the starters will pulled with about 1 minute to go. But CCHS was behind 27-26 with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd. Then Shannon took over and put the game away. PTS will have the stats but we shot something close to 20-25% in the 1st half and most were within 6-8 feet. I would think that our turnover number was very high. It seemed we like we were playing too fast - just a bit out of control. We gave up many shots out of their offense - many close range that just did not go it. Our defense was not strong, though it was a very physical game. We had 2 new officials that I had not seen before. There was not lots of energy on the court as there was in our first game. We might have been looking past Pigeon Forge to Science Hill this afternoon the first of 3 with SH and DB on Saturday. I suspect if we play with the same energy as last night against SH and then DB, it will be a struggle for us, though I look for us to play very hard against both of them. By week's end I think we will have a better picture of where we stand early in the year.

23 percent in the first half. (9 for 38 from inside three-point range)

Overall for the night, 20-of-61 from the field and only took three shots from behind the arc.

Too many turnovers, coming from too many passes. It's good to make passes, but dont' pass up a shot to pass (of course, with the way they were shooting, I probably wouldnt have wanted to shoot it either).

Shannon really rebounded nicely from her first half, and carried the team on her back. Missed only one shot the entire second half.

That said, they still won by 16 - and were 3 points shy of breaking 60 again, which would've matched their total of breaking 60 last year (3 games) in the opening three games of the year. They also avenged 3 of their 10 losses from last year in the season's first three games, and can make it 4 of 4 this afternoon with a win.

They'll have to play better to do it, but the encouraging things are: 1) If you can win somewhat easily and not be at your best, thats a good sign and 2) It's a lot easier to struggle early in the year and have things to work on, where as if you blow out your opponent like UT did UT-C in their opener.

I've already got the sccop on the Bean Barn, /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> so the "everybody has the same refs" won't work. I've heard that Cocke gets the same breaks as Greeneville (notice correct spelling), so it's not just you. As a matter of fact, call me physco, but I think that West gets the worst breaks always!!

I've seen Dickson throw a few illegials during her time--pls don't argue that she doesn't!!

Now, you have lost 3 good guards and like it or not, it will take time to get the others up to speed. MWest and Cocke are in the catbird seat as far as returners--and MWest smeared Cocke over the summer--yes, I know things are different since the new coach.

Yes, I'm talking a little smack!!

/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Ya got me there...the Bean Barn is the secret weopon! No argument from me...Dickson gets her licks in and usually gets busted for it. What three guards are you talking about? We have only lost McInyre from last year to graduation. We are strong starting and very deep on the bench.

Cocke County has the new coach and everyone is back and healthy. I think it's a three-way battle but hopefully Greeneville (we appreciate your E) prevails!