IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barb I think you need to relax when talking about a coach....I don't see you all over the boys coach with his antics? I guess its all right since he has been there a long time and can intimidate people. There is nothing wrong with grabbing a player by their jersey. Go to the football games and watch what happens to some of the players. By far is it no different than what she did. If the parent or player has a problem then I do believe they would go talk to the coach.

GHSbballfan I think you have very strong opinions. You are either for her or against her. Just support the team and get your child to play hard every play!

Lets not just be critical of one coach. Look at the actions of all the coaches in the IMAC if you want to point out one. I have seen things from all the coaches that don't really look good, but given their job and what they are to do then I think the deserve the chance to coach how they want as long as they don't hit or slap the individuals.

You're right...but what would be the point in having a weak opinion? As always, I am in full support of the team, the coach and the program. But I can't just turn a blind eye when I see her making the mistake of seemingly emulating Coach Duncan's antics and the destructive power it can have on these fine young ladies.

She has the opportunity to be either a positive leader or an intimidator. The difference is that the positive leader inspires and gains full commitment and the intimidator ultimately discourages and gains only temporary compliance. I think she has unlimited potential and she is young enough and not so set in her ways so she can still forge a different path. If she can gain their full commitment through mutual respect, their confidence will soar and they will go farther this year than ever before as will subsequent teams.

I have boys but I have coached girls before and I prefer it because they will actually listen to you and take everything to heart. Boys are usually stubborn at that age and yelling and screaming just roll off their backs. It's exactly the opposite with girls. That's why I see her meltdowns as so destructive to whoever the particular player may be and to the program as a whole. For the most part, girls need encouragement and they will perform when they get it.

You will notice I asked Barb to have patience with her. I know she has to be under great internal and external pressure. And by the way, sadly my children are no longer at GHS but they always played their heart out in everything they did and have gone on to be very successful so don't make assumptions.

Of course she can coach any way she wants but we don't live in a dictatorship and we don't have to mindlessly let anything she does go. As far as other coaches go, some are past the point of being able to change but regardless of what they do, she still has the free will to choose to be different. The best leaders in history have people around them who will advise them with the truth and hold them accountable. If you're one of those people, I would hope you could encourage her to at least think about approaching the human side of coaching a little differently. Because with girls, if you can win the mind, you're over 90% there! They have all the talent in the world, I would just hate to see them have a down season because of low self-confidence and like it or not, this is something the head coach has direct responsibility for.

I'm just an old fan that is excited about the possibilities. Good luck Lady Devils!!!!

You're right...but what would be the point in having a weak opinion? As always, I am in full support of the team, the coach and the program. But I can't just turn a blind eye when I see her making the mistake of seemingly emulating Coach Duncan's antics and the destructive power it can have on these fine young ladies.

She has the opportunity to be either a positive leader or an intimidator. The difference is that the positive leader inspires and gains full commitment and the intimidator ultimately discourages and gains only temporary compliance. I think she has unlimited potential and she is young enough and not so set in her ways so she can still forge a different path. If she can gain their full commitment through mutual respect, their confidence will soar and they will go farther this year than ever before as will subsequent teams.

I have boys but I have coached girls before and I prefer it because they will actually listen to you and take everything to heart. Boys are usually stubborn at that age and yelling and screaming just roll off their backs. It's exactly the opposite with girls. That's why I see her meltdowns as so destructive to whoever the particular player may be and to the program as a whole. For the most part, girls need encouragement and they will perform when they get it.

You will notice I asked Barb to have patience with her. I know she has to be under great internal and external pressure. And by the way, sadly my children are no longer at GHS but they always played their heart out in everything they did and have gone on to be very successful so don't make assumptions.

Of course she can coach any way she wants but we don't live in a dictatorship and we don't have to mindlessly let anything she does go. As far as other coaches go, some are past the point of being able to change but regardless of what they do, she still has the free will to choose to be different. The best leaders in history have people around them who will advise them with the truth and hold them accountable. If you're one of those people, I would hope you could encourage her to at least think about approaching the human side of coaching a little differently. Because with girls, if you can win the mind, you're over 90% there! They have all the talent in the world, I would just hate to see them have a down season because of low self-confidence and like it or not, this is something the head coach has direct responsibility for.

I'm just an old fan that is excited about the possibilities. Good luck Lady Devils!!!!

As with any educational situation whether in a classroom or on a court, students should be treated with respect and dignity. We would not allow our classroom teachers to manhandle our students, therefore we should not expect any less from our coach(s). I think we have good coaches, but just a personal opinion about how professionals should conduct themselves. I think whether it be verbal (cursing), or physical. I know that you must raise your voice and I don't have a problem with that, just bad language and being too physical with the students.

As with any educational situation whether in a classroom or on a court, students should be treated with respect and dignity. We would not allow our classroom teachers to manhandle our students, therefore we should not expect any less from our coach(s). I think we have good coaches, but just a personal opinion about how professionals should conduct themselves. I think whether it be verbal (cursing), or physical. I know that you must raise your voice and I don't have a problem with that, just bad language and being too physical with the students.

Just an observation and not sure how it does or doesnt apply to this situation BUT!

No.1 if they got their little hineys busted more at home rather than cell phone upgrade promises and the like, discipline would be less of an issue....knock on wood, I have two daughters whom I love dearly and as of yet neither have been a problem to their coaches or teachers...(took care of it early on at home)

No.2 parents tend to believe in a broad spectrum on discipline.

Its really simple is the coach intense or mean? If it is intense then she honestly cares and that should be fine....if she's (or he or whatever) mean then I believe that no one would have stood for it this long, winning or not...

I'm not going to get on a soapbox but I realize now later in life that I respect my dad and the teachers/coaches that I had, that took the time and cared enough to rattle my cage when I was falling short of the mark.

ok I'll tiptoe out now /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Just an observation and not sure how it does or doesnt apply to this situation BUT!

No.1 if they got their little hineys busted more at home rather than cell phone upgrade promises and the like, discipline would be less of an issue....knock on wood, I have two daughters whom I love dearly and as of yet neither have been a problem to their coaches or teachers...(took care of it early on at home)

No.2 parents tend to believe in a broad spectrum on discipline.

Its really simple is the coach intense or mean? If it is intense then she honestly cares and that should be fine....if she's (or he or whatever) mean then I believe that no one would have stood for it this long, winning or not...

I'm not going to get on a soapbox but I realize now later in life that I respect my dad and the teachers/coaches that I had, that took the time and cared enough to rattle my cage when I was falling short of the mark.

ok I'll tiptoe out now /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It's not a discipline problem at all. I know most of those parents and these are great kids, very respectful of parents and coaches, good grades, etc... It's just that sometimes they make a mistake or miss an assignment and the response seems over the top, more like turning the cage over instead of rattling it.

It's not a discipline problem at all. I know most of those parents and these are great kids, very respectful of parents and coaches, good grades, etc... It's just that sometimes they make a mistake or miss an assignment and the response seems over the top, more like turning the cage over instead of rattling it.

I gotcha its just times are different now than say 20-25 years ago

Barb I think you need to relax when talking about a coach....I don't see you all over the boys coach with his antics? I guess its all right since he has been there a long time and can intimidate people. There is nothing wrong with grabbing a player by their jersey. Go to the football games and watch what happens to some of the players. By far is it no different than what she did. If the parent or player has a problem then I do believe they would go talk to the coach.

GHSbballfan I think you have very strong opinions. You are either for her or against her. Just support the team and get your child to play hard every play!

Lets not just be critical of one coach. Look at the actions of all the coaches in the IMAC if you want to point out one. I have seen things from all the coaches that don't really look good, but given their job and what they are to do then I think the deserve the chance to coach how they want as long as they don't hit or slap the individuals.

Grabbing a player by the jersey and walking to mid-court and dragging her from the court by it are entirely seperate things....I have followed Crumbley since she came to GHS and have been one of her staunchest supporters, but I thought she crossed the line this time. Had that been my daughter she had manhandled like that, I'd gone after her like a wild-woman...right then and there.

OK, maybe it is time to get back to the ladies playing on the court?

I believe there were several IMAC teams playing tonight, how about our intrepid reporters puitting thier observations on here. Conference openers are less than 2 weeks away!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

OK, maybe it is time to get back to the ladies playing on the court?

I believe there were several IMAC teams playing tonight, how about our intrepid reporters puitting thier observations on here. Conference openers are less than 2 weeks away!

MEast has Sgreene wed at Chuckey Doak