9-AA

matt610

What is the outlook for all the teams and how do you think they will match up?

To me, CPA is the clear favorite going into the season and is many people's early pick to return to the state tournament but this time bring back the gold ball. But as we all know, anything can happen once you get to the 'boro. As for the district, here is how I see it playing out:

1- CPA

2- David Lipscomb

3- Hume-Fogg

4- MLK

5- FRA

6- Pearl-Cohn

7- East Lit

8- Ezell-Harding

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never count out Lipscomb and MLK. They are tough year in and year out. I definitely do not see CPA as a lock. Saw them several times this summer at team camp and I did not think they looked as strong as their team from last year. Don't see FRA being a factor, didn't they graduate 8 seniors. Hume Fogg could definitely factor in as they return some good players.

You can never count out Lipscomb and MLK. They are tough year in and year out. I definitely do not see CPA as a lock. Saw them several times this summer at team camp and I did not think they looked as strong as their team from last year. Don't see FRA being a factor, didn't they graduate 8 seniors. Hume Fogg could definitely factor in as they return some good players.

That's because Hunter Miller and David Anderson didn't play in 2 of the summer camps and Z didnt play in the first one, so CPA never had the whole team but thats a good thing. The team will be stronger than last year.

CPA will be MUCH deeper and MUCH better than last year. A senior dominated squad with more talent than last year, and tons of depth. 7 of their top 10 players back from last year, including Mr. Basketball candidate and top 3 scorers, and they have added 2 other quality players that sat out last year for health and personal reasons. It is very hard to win it all when one bad game (or bad clock operator /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ) can put you out of the tourney, but they should be preseason favorites.

There will be lot of good teams in Murfreesboro this year.

CPA has this district hands down. No one can beat them with such a strong presence in the paint (Z), and great three point shooting. This is pretty much the same team as last year, but better. I hope CPA can finally get the gold ball. If they don't...there is no justice in this world.

David Lipscomb will be consistently good. Their problem is that seven of their players are starters on football. If they move on to the state championship (again), these players won't see a basketball court until a month into the season. With that said, this group of seniors have chemistry. They no longer have to take a back seat to upperclassmen. This team was unbeatable in middle school and JV based on chemistry, athletic ability, and finesse. There are also some very talented juniors. Coaching will be what makes or breaks DL. Will those football players be too drained to focus on basketball?

MLK is always good. They have such a great coach and fans. They are my dark horse.

FRA - again ... well coached, but graduated some talent. They will re-load.

Pearl-Cohn and Hume Fogg are also talented teams. I give the edge to Hume Fogg this year, since Pearl graduated so many.

• 2 weeks later...

Likely CPA will go undefeated in the district...again. Just so much experience with firepower and size. As always, the key will be staying healthy and getting Z Mason back from football in one piece. I wouldn't want to play them. Who do you guard? Three players with Division I potential in a AA school. That doesn't happen very often. Of course....I guess the TSSAA officials could beat them.......again.

Likely CPA will go undefeated in the district...again. Just so much experience with firepower and size. As always, the key will be staying healthy and getting Z Mason back from football in one piece. I wouldn't want to play them. Who do you guard? Three players with Division I potential in a AA school. That doesn't happen very often. Of course....I guess the TSSAA officials could beat them.......again.

agree with 100% with all that.

who are going to be the key players for each team

CPA players have already been mentioned-Mason, Miller, Anderson, Chapman.

Hume-Fogg's Adrian Williamson led the district in ppg last season, and has a good chance to do that again with the points being spread around at CPA.

Lipscomb returns Evan Webb and a number of solid guards.

FRA will have to find out where their points will come from in the absence of Shawn Kennedy.

Pearl-Cohn loses Mason, and does someone know if the talented PG they had graduated?

MLK should be improved from a young team last year and they should have a good balance of athletic talent.

Haven't seen too much from East Lit or Ezell to be excited about.

• 3 weeks later...

CPA and Hume-Fogg tip-off their district schedule this Friday. I think that Hume-Fogg has a great chance to challenge DL for the #2 spot in the district this year, but I think CPA is still the unquestioned favorite. This game will tell us a lot about both teams. If CPA plays well, I see them winning easily, but if Adrian Williamson goes off and CPA goes cold from 3, as they have a few times this year, it might be a close one. The key for HF will be stopping Mason inside which is no easy task. If they can't do that then CPA shouldn't have any trouble getting the W. Any thoughts?