thoughts on tssaa regulations

chattanooga

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they go varsity the first year any player that is now zoned for EHH will not be eligible to play any Varsity

sport that they played at Ooltewah. This will almost eliminate any athlete from coming except incoming freshman.

If the TSSAA places EHH in 4A because of zoned students instead of actual enrolled students they should change

the transfer rule.

My suggestion is they allow the PJ rule the first year so anyone, anywhere, anytime can come and play right away.

If you spent as much money and moved out to EB as some of those families did would you wont any and everybody in the world coming there??? I dont really think so. Thats whats wrong with the school system is everyone goes everywhere......Tyner is a prime example, that school should be one of biggest enrollments in town and probably one of the lowest because of the silly magnet school crap.

if anybody thinks a bunch of 9th graders and limited sophomore and junior classes that are probably not chock full of athletes due to their ability to stay at ooltewah if they choose. to, is going to be competative with the teams in 3A and 4A is insane. take a look at heritage down in catoosa county. it will be worse on east hamilton next year if they go the varisty route. embarrassing and dangerous to the kids on the field at the same time.

anyone who is at ooltewah since the beginning of this school year and transfers to the new school will be eligible next year at the varsity level. just like the red bank kids who are now zoned for signal are immediately eligible.

Please go to the Ooltewah game tonight and ask the Ooltewah Athletic director if they wll be eligible.

There are no rules that apply to new schools. The same TSSAA rule applies to all.

Except PJ of course.

The signal Mountain team played JV this year so everyone is eligible to play!

When Stone Memorial opened up a few years ago in Crossville, the girls basketball coach took most of the girls who played for him at Cumberland Co. with him to play for Stone Memorial. They were all eligible immediately. As I said, a new school does change things some along with its zoning.

As I mentioned before. Please ask the Ooltewah administartion, which by the way Mr Foster is on the TSSAA board,

about anyone being eigible. It is not right or fair but that is what they told me. I agree with you on how it should be.

It would set EHH back at least 2 years to have a chance in winning a game.

I don't even see East Hamilton playing varsity football next season, so I don't really get what the big deal is. Hardin Valley here in West Knoxville decided to play a JV only schedule this season, and opted to play varsity football next year. A big part of that decision was because the juniors and seniors who were zoned for Hardin Valley were given the option to remain at their old high schools (whichever school they were originally zoned for - Farragut or Karns, most likely). Enrollment at Hardin Valley this year was much lower than it will be in 2 years when that is no longer an option, and I'm sure that the same will be true at East Hamilton, which is exactly why TSSAA based their enrollment on their projections 2 years from now. There are two sides to that coin. What if East Hamilton actually was classified given their current enrollment? I'm sure in 2 years, people (particularly those outside of EH) would be complaining that they were classified too low. It's just a double-edged sword.

Please go to the Ooltewah game tonight and ask the Ooltewah Athletic director if they wll be eligible.

There are no rules that apply to new schools. The same TSSAA rule applies to all.

Except PJ of course.

The signal Mountain team played JV this year so everyone is eligible to play!

I didn't ask Jim Jarvis (OHS Asst. Principal/Athletic Director), I asked Ed Foster (OHS Principal/TSSAA Legislative Council) and he said if a student had an athletic record at a school and did not have a legitimate change of address, that said athlete would be ineligible for 365 days since their last day of participation in that sport. I did mention the Stone Memorial situation from 4 years ago to him and he couldn't explain why they were eligible in a similiar situation.

I don't even see East Hamilton playing varsity football next season, so I don't really get what the big deal is. Hardin Valley here in West Knoxville decided to play a JV only schedule this season, and opted to play varsity football next year. A big part of that decision was because the juniors and seniors who were zoned for Hardin Valley were given the option to remain at their old high schools (whichever school they were originally zoned for - Farragut or Karns, most likely). Enrollment at Hardin Valley this year was much lower than it will be in 2 years when that is no longer an option, and I'm sure that the same will be true at East Hamilton, which is exactly why TSSAA based their enrollment on their projections 2 years from now. There are two sides to that coin. What if East Hamilton actually was classified given their current enrollment? I'm sure in 2 years, people (particularly those outside of EH) would be complaining that they were classified too low. It's just a double-edged sword.

East Hamilton is not open yet, supposed to open next school year.