Greeneville QB in trouble...

wpfast

What I don't understand is why this story has made everyones headlines. 5-time DUI offenders get their stories buried back in the "it happened here" section of the Greeneville Sun, but Jordan Greenway ends up in the Knoxville paper and Johnson City evening news. One would think he was running for political office or something. It would seem we could find something more important to talk about given how crappy other things are going right now. I know an awful lot of us are wishing the best for the Greenways right now, but its time to move on. We do have a game to play Friday.

Well stated Barb.It is time to move on.Jordan is a great athlete.He is also a teenager.If we all remember our teen years there was times when we could have been at the wrong place, at the wrong time.Look at what the kid has gone thru,as far as family.My gosh he needs a break and some guidance,not criticism. I think the coach is involving himself in personal affairs too soon IMO.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my two cents but I believe it's right to suspend him. It so happens that it's his senior year but if it was his junior year, he should only be suspended until he is found guilty. If found guilty, kicked off of the team. Period. If innocent, he could play again. Whether they suspend or dismiss him from the team at this point doesn't matter though because he is a senior. You can't really sit there and say he should be allowed to play football. Isn't it the coach's decision anyway on who plays and who doesn't? You think a kid can sue the school because the coach won't let him play? As far as why it made headlines. He has been in trouble before, everyone around here knows about it, most know about his family the past year, and he's a TALENTED QB at a high school program around here. This isn't New York. Newspapers around here have to find whatever stories they can no matter how small they are.

You think a kid can sue the school because the coach won't let him play?

This is not the case. The Directory of Schools told the Coach to kick him off the team. I just feel the School System should have waited before passing judgment and issuing punishment.

You think a kid can sue the school because the coach won't let him play?

This is not the case. The Directory of Schools told the Coach to kick him off the team. I just feel the School System should have waited before passing judgment and issuing punishment.

I didn't say a kid could sue the school. That was one of your fellow devils that said that. huked onn fonics wurked fur mee. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

It is difficult to make decisions like those having to be made by the Administration and coaches of GHS. As a fan, I hate to see a high impact player be dismissed from the team. I know the Greenway family has had to face a mountain of tragedys, but decisions must be made due to the circumstances at hand, not what has happened in the past. As a parent of small children, I have heard them talking about the circumstance, I found them trying to justify the event just so they have hope that the player would be allowed to play. I have even had those feelings, but in my heart I know that there comes a time that we realize and make decisions that are for the greater good. We must remember that life is not football, basketball, or any sport. It's about serving Christ and helping others to Him and directing them to making good decisions in their lives. As a parent, I have to make decisions that I really don't want to make at times, but I have to look at the big picture and future development of my children. I say to the student being mentioned, I pray that you learn from the event and attempt to grow from the circumstances. To the Devils, you are not a one man team. Pick yourselves up by the bootstraps and lay it to Crockett! Go Devils!

Drinking is drinking, and the only case I could see him needing help with is if he was an alcoholic, which he isnt. I'm not defending his actions when I say this, but it's hard to find a teenage kid that has never drank. They are out there, but few and far between.

I beg to differ. There are plenty of teenagers out there who choose not to drink while in high school. Besides, even if that were the case, just because everyone else that age is drinking does not make it right. We've all heard the, "Would you jump off of a bridge if..." arguement, and this isn't any different. If I'm not mistaken, the legal drinking age is still 21.

If it turns out that he was actually drinking and driving, I can't feel bad for him. I won't feel bad for this kid making the decision to drink. I won't feel bad for this kid deciding to drive under the influence. We all must be held to the same standard, athletes included. I'm tired of the "teenagers are going to drink" arguement. From a legality standpoint, that just doesn't cut it. You can't just smack him on the wrist if he's guilty. What's "convenient" about this situation is the fact that his court date isn't until 2009. Greeneville is screwed either way. If they suspend or dismiss him from the team, it could turn out that he actually wasn't guilty. However, if they let him play, he could be guilty of a DUI, so I'm not sure what they should do.

What I don't understand is why this story has made everyones headlines. 5-time DUI offenders get their stories buried back in the "it happened here" section of the Greeneville Sun, but Jordan Greenway ends up in the Knoxville paper and Johnson City evening news. One would think he was running for political office or something. It would seem we could find something more important to talk about given how crappy other things are going right now. I know an awful lot of us are wishing the best for the Greenways right now, but its time to move on. We do have a game to play Friday.

This story is making headlines because he is a "high-profile" athlete. I use the term "high-profile" loosely, but the same attention is given to college and professional athletes that make the same mistakes. Whether they like it or not, athletes' lives are often put under a microscope. Like college and pro athletes, high school football players serve as role models for many pee-wee football players that don their own football jerseys on Friday nights. Athletes garner a lot of media attention, and in a area like Greeneville, it's big news because it's such a small community.

Innocent until proven guilty should the the guiding principle. If there is no proof he violated team rules, I'm not sure where kicking him off the team is appropriate. Based soley on what I've read here, if I were the coach I may be inclined to sit him tonight, mainly to make sure there were no physical lingering effects from his accident. If some wanted to construe him missing a game as a time to reflect on personal choices or some sort of punishment I wouldn't argue the point.

I thought he was already in the " IF you so much as sneeze....you are gone" category. If that be the case, he should be off the team and off any other team until he is found innocent. If guilty, no football or baseball. This is not the first problem, from my limited understanding he was warned not to get in any trouble whatsoever.

It would be very convenient to push the "punishment" back to the court date and play ball now wouldn't it?

I go back to my previous comment....If he were a second string tackle he would be gone, probably in court this morning, and not allowed to play any sport for the remainder of the year.

Again, I wish the best for this and any other teen going through similar circumstances. I hope he can overcome and turn into a great college athlete and great adult.

As the father of a high school football player, I know there are certain "rules" that these players are supposed to live up to. Fair or not, there is usually one about "being a positive role model", simply because small children do look up to you. That being said, I heard (does not mean it's true) that he took the motorcycle without permission. If so, that is theft. Period. Regardless to whether or not he was "under the influence".

Either way, this IS or should be a violation of team rules, if not the law, and he should not be allowed to continue his high school football career IMO, because what message are you sending to the rest of the team if you allow him to play?

I only hope that Mr. Greenway cleans himself up and continues on to college. I'm totally sorry to all the Greenville fans but please remember, he did this to you not the school board, the coaches, the Knoxville and Johnson City papers, or the people posting here. It's called being responsible for your own actions.

Now tighten up your chin straps and let's play some football, let the playoffs begin. (Tomorrow...LOL)

As the father of a high school football player, I know there are certain "rules" that these players are supposed to live up to. Fair or not, there is usually one about "being a positive role model", simply because small children do look up to you. That being said, I heard (does not mean it's true) that he took the motorcycle without permission. If so, that is theft. Period. Regardless to whether or not he was "under the influence".

Either way, this IS or should be a violation of team rules, if not the law, and he should not be allowed to continue his high school football career IMO, because what message are you sending to the rest of the team if you allow him to play?

I only hope that Mr. Greenway cleans himself up and continues on to college. I'm totally sorry to all the Greenville fans but please remember, he did this to you not the school board, the coaches, the Knoxville and Johnson City papers, or the people posting here. It's called being responsible for your own actions.

Now tighten up your chin straps and let's play some football, let the playoffs begin. (Tomorrow...LOL)

I believe you were informed incorrectly. He had permission by the owner to ride the bike.

Well said Barb. There is hopefully a lot of football left to play. Let's move forward and focus on getting ready for the playoffs. Not to take David Crockett lightly but regardless we are the # 1 seed out of Region 2 and have home field as long as we win.

Well said Barb. There is hopefully a lot of football left to play. Let's move forward and focus on getting ready for the playoffs. Not to take David Crockett lightly but regardless we are the # 1 seed out of Region 2 and have home field as long as we win.

I do hope you realize that home field will be coming to the Mountain Lakes conference for the Quarterfinals. Whether it's South or TN High, both will give Greeneville a woodshed spanking. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />