[b]Is Reality Setting In?[/b]

toofunny

I hear that Columbia Central is having a hard time fielding 6 players for either the boys or the girls this year, that's a darn shame after the boys winning state tournament last year. You would have figured after that they would have had plenty of kids. I was always taught that you reap what you sow!

With Coach Ransom being the manger of Galaxy Lanes, and Columbia Central having 1500 students it should be easy! Maybe just maybe, if they would promote youth bowling, more kids would bowl. Nah that doesn't happen in anymore, build it and they will come, NOT!! To many other sports actively going after the kids these days, passive persuasion won't work. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

High School Bowlers come from many years of hard work after building Youth League each and every year! Looks like Spring Hill and Marshall County will go after the Title this year.

I hear that Columbia Central is having a hard time fielding 6 players for either the boys or the girls this year, that's a darn shame after the boys winning state tournament last year. You would have figured after that they would have had plenty of kids. I was always taught that you reap what you sow!

With Coach Ransom being the manger of Galaxy Lanes, and Columbia Central having 1500 students it should be easy! Maybe just maybe, if they would promote youth bowling, more kids would bowl. Nah that doesn't happen in anymore, build it and they will come, NOT!! To many other sports actively going after the kids these days, passive persuasion won't work. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

High School Bowlers come from many years of hard work after building Youth League each and every year! Looks like Spring Hill and Marshall County will go after the Title this year.

you make some good points...however, Coach Ransom is a great coach...i am just a fan and wondering what was going on out there in the great state of tennessee in bowling, and so you mention Spring Hill and Marshall County...do they have some good players? if so, who? I would love to hear about them. Thanks!

Neither Spring Hill Nor Marshall County have a lot of great players they just look the best so far in what looks like a weak district this year. Whether Coach Ransom is a great person or not you have to remember this is high school bowling you grow your bowlers. Being a center manager he is in the perfect position to grow them, I just don't see that being done anymore.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Neither Spring Hill Nor Marshall County have a lot of great players they just look the best so far in what looks like a weak district this year. Whether Coach Ransom is a great person or not you have to remember this is high school bowling you grow your bowlers. Being a center manager he is in the perfect position to grow them, I just don't see that being done anymore.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree...I only speak from seeing his accomplishments over the years and meeting with him a couple of times...you are right if you are the center manager you certainly have an advantage over other coaches who don' have that luxury and just have to take what comes in the door. I guess we will have to see what comes down the line...It seems as though Smyrna is the team to beat though...is that true? I can't think of anyone else out there that could be as strong as them!

That sounds like a slam at me or the school. I am not sure which. I went to the school and offered to meet with any students interested in participating in our program. 12 students showed up and only 3 actually ever came to the bc. I offer in-school bowling equipment and instructors to all of the elementary schools in Maury County of which only one school participates. It is more of a case of student interest or the economy IMO. We will get a team ready by District Tournament time. If we have the athletes that are willing to practice, you best not count us out.

I would like to know who you are if you care to come in the center and identify yourself.

That sounds like a slam at me or the school. I am not sure which. I went to the school and offered to meet with any students interested in participating in our program. 12 students showed up and only 3 actually ever came to the bc. I offer in-school bowling equipment and instructors to all of the elementary schools in Maury County of which only one school participates. It is more of a case of student interest or the economy IMO. We will get a team ready by District Tournament time. If we have the athletes that are willing to practice, you best not count us out.

I would like to know who you are if you care to come in the center and identify yourself.

I am glad you responded...How is the team doing?...I can only wish you and all the bowlers out there the best! My grandson bowls...he is 7...and he loves it, that is why I have become a fan...I am associated with others that have strong ties to the bowling community in my area and have traveled with teams to the state tournament before...you did not recognize me because I was usually just hanging around the coaches wives and friends while they spoke with you...Furthermore for any team/coach to win a state title I believe there has to be three main ingredients, great coaches, great talent, and discipline. Good luck to you all throughout the year!

Before I leave this post...has anyone got any other good scores out there? I just love hearing about the children's successes!

Thanks!

I will certainly stand with Mike on this one, he has done more than anyone I know to promote youth bowling and to grow interest in the sport not only at the high school level, but all levels as well. I have learned from experience to never count out Columbia Central. He will surely have them ready by tournament time! On another subject, please take note of Spring Hill Bowler Diana Forsyth. I'm confident you will be hearing her name alot this season!

Coach Don

Mike has done more than anyone I know to promote youth bowling in Columbia. I am from there and have had the pleasure of getting beat by my alma mater on at least 3 occasions in postseason play. (you have no idea how frustrated I am about that) Every team goes through ups and downs. It just a part of team sports at the high school level or any level for that matter. He will have them ready by January.

Thank you to the supportive responders. We should finally field full 6 member teams this week. We shot 3170 in the first boys' match with one game of 5 bowlers. The late arriver and one more player were in their first HS competition. We just added several new athletes on the boys side that can help us. We still only have 6 girls (just got #6 last week) with some young but talented athletes. Only 2 seniors on the girls side and 2 on the guys, too. I have a couple of football players that are supposed to be coming to the center tomorrow, also.

Incidentally, for the "toofunny" poster. I have given thousands of hours of my time and spent more money than I care to think about supporting SSJBA for 12 years traveling as a complete volunteer because I love to help youth bowlers. I have coached at all levels sometimes being paid but probably 99% of my coaching has been charitable. I taught over 100 coaches the USBC Level 1 course for $15 per student - sometimes traveling (No extra charge) to the locations to teach it. I also offer players at all 4 schools that bowl in our center any equipment at cost plus 10%, so I think you should get your facts straight. Sometimes helping youth bowling is not as visible to people looking to criticize someone else. What have you done lately, toofunny?

Thank you to the supportive responders. We should finally field full 6 member teams this week. We shot 3170 in the first boys' match with one game of 5 bowlers. The late arriver and one more player were in their first HS competition. We just added several new athletes on the boys side that can help us. We still only have 6 girls (just got #6 last week) with some young but talented athletes. Only 2 seniors on the girls side and 2 on the guys, too. I have a couple of football players that are supposed to be coming to the center tomorrow, also.

Incidentally, for the "toofunny" poster. I have given thousands of hours of my time and spent more money than I care to think about supporting SSJBA for 12 years traveling as a complete volunteer because I love to help youth bowlers. I have coached at all levels sometimes being paid but probably 99% of my coaching has been charitable. I taught over 100 coaches the USBC Level 1 course for $15 per student - sometimes traveling (No extra charge) to the locations to teach it. I also offer players at all 4 schools that bowl in our center any equipment at cost plus 10%, so I think you should get your facts straight. Sometimes helping youth bowling is not as visible to people looking to criticize someone else. What have you done lately, toofunny?

I haven't had much time to check this site as of late, however this one section caught my attention and as a former student of Mike Ransom, it draws a response from me.

I'm not sure if the first post was completely slamming Coach Ransom, however "toofunny", you are completely unaware of anything that goes on in Columbia. Did you happen to notice that in last years season we were playing with two rookies and as far as I'm aware, the line-up this year is filled with first timers? It seems to me that Coach Ransom is doing a very good job of recruiting and promoting the high school teams, even in their times of weakness.

The second post by you is completely ignorant. How can you personally say that you do not see work being done by my Coach? You have never sat through a practice with this man. You have probably never had the privilege of learning from him. Given those facts, I can assume you have never seen the work ethic from Ransom. I started bowling when I was 11 years old. Since that time, he has done everything to promote not only my progression as a bowler, but the progression of every youth that has ever walked in the center. He has gone to those bowling to try to get better, and those only there for recreation. He has gone to the schools, to the public, to everyone trying to gain more youth bowlers, however it just does not seem to help in Columbia. The amount of youth bowlers in the city has steadily been declining ever since I have been there. How dare you blame this on the negligence of a man who has done everything to help the youth bowlers of the area? It is about time that you opened up your eyes and realized the reality of the situation. It's not at all negligence by Coach Ransom.

This post is delayed, however in my opinion very necessary.

Good luck as always to the high school teams across the state and of course to Columbia Central. Keep your eyes peeled in individuals as always to Aaron "Big Money" Davidson.

• 2 months later...

Toofunny:

I am not real confident in your judging abilities. You called district 8 a "weak district" without many good bowlers. How about looking at the TSSAA Girls State Tournament bracket. I see 2 out of the final 8 teams are from district 8. Hmmmm?!?!?!?!?!

Way to go Central and Lawrence County!