Why do the Privates dominate A/AA Girl's Soccer

DonCChatt

I don't disagree with this, but why Girl's soccer and not Boy's?

I'll take another shot at this......

The Girls game is more of a team game. Its true in Basketball and its true in soccer. Therefore you need more quality players so to speak. Hence you need more club players.

The Boys game is more individualistic, and if you have a couple of great players with a good supporting cast a boys team can do quite well.

On a side note....I think all coaches will admit that you must coach (handle, maybe a better term) a girls team differently then a boys team.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its very simple. Several girls sports are played much more by girls in higher income brackets. Girls Soccer in the USA is dominated by the affluent. I can promise you here in Nashville you will find many more girls playing in high income areas of town like Brentwood, Hendersonville, Green Hills than Madison, Antioch and Inglewood. The same is also true with Tennis and Swimming.

When it comes to girls soccer at AAA it is the affluent schools that dominate (also holds true in boys soccer). For example, Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood and CEntennial whip schools like McGavock, Antioch. In A-AA its the private schools or affluent public schools (Hume-Fogg, MLK, Station Camp) that have the advantage. Why? Simple demographics.

Soccer has not yet caught on in the more rural less affluent areas of Tennessee. Especially for girls.

It could also be that in the fall (when girls' soccer is played in Tennessee) the only sports going head to head with soccer are volleyball, cross country and golf (if in fact all three are even offered). In the spring, boys' sports that go head to head with soccer include baseball and track and field, not to mention spring football. Typically those girls' sports require fewer participants than the boys' sports mentioned. The result would be that the talent pool is less diluted for the girls than for the boys in smaller schools (which the D-1 privates tend to be). Maybe sheer participation numbers account for some of the differences.

Does any of that make sense?

Coaching certainly helps, but the bottom line is still found in the #'s of club players, and the depth of those club players. I think there are similarities with boys' baseball.

dIt appears to me that coaching is most of it, Finding a teacher that teaches a qualified subject and if qualified to coach Soccer, Volleyball, etc, is very difficult. Usually these coaches are part time coaches and a school is fortunate to have Club experience to suplement coaches background. Feeder schools in to a high school is another factor and the coaches in those schools. if indeed the step to make sure schools use teachers to coach, there will be some step down in skill training. If a High school happens to be in an area with no Club. An awful lot of work will have to be done along with a lot of play in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

dIt appears to me that coaching is most of it, Finding a teacher that teaches a qualified subject and if qualified to coach Soccer, Volleyball, etc, is very difficult. Usually these coaches are part time coaches and a school is fortunate to have Club experience to suplement coaches background. Feeder schools in to a high school is another factor and the coaches in those schools. if indeed the step to make sure schools use teachers to coach, there will be some step down in skill training. If a High school happens to be in an area with no Club. An awful lot of work will have to be done along with a lot of play in the summer.

I wonder how you explain with the salaries in private schools being lower and sometimes substanially lower than publics that private schools have better coaches. It is just as difficult to find a teacher who can teach and coach any sport in private the same as public schools, must be some other reason. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I wonder how you explain with the salaries in private schools being lower and sometimes substanially lower than publics that private schools have better coaches. It is just as difficult to find a teacher who can teach and coach any sport in private the same as public schools, must be some other reason. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I don't know how it is around the state...but there are some private schools that hire non-teaching coaches. Where as most public schools have faulty coaches.

Also, Many private school coaches are club coaches as well, there are not many public school coaches that are club coaches that I have noticed.

With that said....It's not the coaching that makes the overall difference, It's the players.

I don't know how it is around the state...but there are some private schools that hire non-teaching coaches. Where as most public schools have faulty coaches.

Faulty coaches... well there's your problem right there! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Faulty coaches... well there's your problem right there! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Wow, what a Freudian slip /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ...Lets try faculty coaches.

Not that it matters, but I'm a non faculty coach that works with both boys and girls teams so my club involvement is only doing SAQ work during the off season. I do however continue my education as if I were coaching club. Another license can never hurt. Not trying to toot my own horn, I'd much rather be teaching and coaching, just no room for me at my school right now.

It could also be that in the fall (when girls' soccer is played in Tennessee) the only sports going head to head with soccer are volleyball, cross country and golf (if in fact all three are even offered). In the spring, boys' sports that go head to head with soccer include baseball and track and field, not to mention spring football. Typically those girls' sports require fewer participants than the boys' sports mentioned. The result would be that the talent pool is less diluted for the girls than for the boys in smaller schools (which the D-1 privates tend to be). Maybe sheer participation numbers account for some of the differences.

Does any of that make sense?

Ding Ding Ding..We have a winner.