Who Should Make All-State

DonCChatt

region 4 AAA

siegel: sydney dewberry, brandi philipps, maggie trollier, haley sloan, kim conrad, tory hawkins and kerbi towry

riverdale: becca smith, hannah mcgowen, sarai price, milli minneker bethann anthony and ashley watson

oakland: hayley wright

shelbyville:kayla warren, shelby lamb, taylor bearden, kali hayes and kayla anderson

columbia: lauren wilson, lauren graham, mallory brown

tullahoma: chelsea jackson, zoe johnson and stephanie mullins

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will keep my opinion to myself, I find your list lacking and incorrect. Leaving girls off a list like this, in a public forum, because of your lack of knowledge shows poor judgement...... Just my opinion.

I think it is almost impossible for any one person to establish a complete and fair list. Most of us are limited to the girl's we've seen, or perhaps heard about. Other than your own team, you might have seen some team only once or twice (or not at all). If on the one game you saw team XXX play, player A was sick or had an "off" game, you might be inclined to not list them. Likewise, that one game of xxx team you saw might have had a player playing on fire that day, and tend to rank that player very high.

Without a doubt, this list, like the official ones to follow, will omit girl's that are as deserving as those that get listed, and perhaps including others that aren't quite as deserving as mommy or daddy thinks they are....

I think this list was a good Chattanooga list, but probably missing some players that this poster may not have even see play this year....

I will keep my opinion to myself, I find your list lacking and incorrect. Leaving girls off a list like this, in a public forum, because of your lack of knowledge shows poor judgement...... Just my opinion.

That's keeping your opinion to yourself? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

IMHO..... here goes ... @ least for the greater Chattanooga area : Alpha order ~

All State:

Kris Cambron - Senior - Notre Dame - Striker

Danielle Ciabattone - Junior - Notre Dame Mid

Taylor Davidson - Senior - Keeper - Baylor

Emily Jones - Junior - Cleveland - Striker

Claire Lanter - Senior - Def Center Back - Soddy Daisy

Sarah Mastey - Sophomore (?) GPS - Striker

Josie Rix - Senior - GPS - Mid/Def Center

Carissa Sanchez - Junior - Baylor - Def Center

Caroline Scales - Senior - Baylor - Mid

Leah Wilson - Senior - Keeper - CCS

Kameshia Woodfine - Senior - Baylor - Striker

2nd team:

Darcy Brannen - Senior - Notre Dame - Mid

Bonnie Buckley - Sophomore(?) Silverdale - Mid (?)

Hannah Farlett - Junior (?) CCS - Mid (?)

Sarah Gawthrop - Senior - Baylor - Mid

Elizabeth Gier (sp?) - Senior(?)-Soddy - Mid

Logan Mays - Senior - CCS - Striker

Katelyn McChesny - Sophomore - Cleveland (Mid?)

Alex Stevenson - Senior - Cleveland - Mid

Kelsy Swann - Senior - Soddy Daisy - Mid

*some of this is from memory and I am getting old so please correct any info that is wrong*

This wouldn't make a bad college squad! There are many, many excellent players in the Chattanooga area this year, as reflected in the accomplishments of Baylor, GPS, CCS, ND, Soddy Daisy, Cleveland and others.

One player not on your list that I think is excellent is Cary Lieper from ND. She meets many of the criteria you write about.

IMHO..... here goes ... @ least for the greater Chattanooga area : Alpha order ~

All State:

2nd team:

Tuffnstuff, this is a great list, and I commend you for putting a target on your back by posting. All the girls in your list have made great contributions to their teams.

I think defenders are a bit under-represented. Carissa Sanchez of Baylor is actually a midfielder, albeit a defensive holding midfielder in Baylors 4-3-3 formation. I think your comment about Taylor Davidson having a tough as nails defensive front is right on. Taylor made a lot of very good saves over the year but she did not really have to face many shots. So to add an outside defenders name to the list, I will add Natalie Brackett for All-State, who is not only a very solid defender, but pushes up to midfield to snuff counteracts better than anyone I've seen.

I admit I haven't seen but a few non-Baylor games. There must be some other defenders out there to recognize.

Again, tuffnstuff put out a great list for us to provide positive input to. Thanks.

All State:

2nd team:

*some of this is from memory and I am getting old so please correct any info that is wrong*

Within the scope of my opinion, let me say a few comments to support these "thoughts":

I think that it is important to consider a number of factors when assessing a player's talent. You need to look at players contribution to the game and realize that the game is played on the entire field. Most of these players aren't always on the "scoring" side of the game, but rather make an overall contribution to the team's success. Josie Rix, for example, spent most of the season playing in the defensive third, as did Carissa Sanchez from Baylor. Their contribution to distributing balls with precision, maintaing the defensive shape of the field, and the maturity of the being so versatile need to be commended. Yes, you have to assign them a position in the roster, but in reality players like those two along with Darcy Brannen (ND), Alex Stevenson (Cleveland) and Sarah Gawthrop (Baylor) make a contribution no matter where you put them on the field. These are girls that play the entire 90 minutes and coaches rely on them without all the hoopla attention /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Danielle Ciabattone from Notre Dame is another one of those players. You could put her in on the strike line all the way back to the defensive line, and she is going to be consistenly good and solid. It isn't always the flashiest player on the team that should get your attention, as a spectator.... It should be the strong, consistent and versatile players that COULD be scoring the goals, but have given themselves over the glory of the team instead of individual glory. That is not to say that the numbers don't count, look at Emily Jones (Cleveland) for example, with 40+ goals this season or Logan Mays (prior to injury downtime) or even Kelsey Swann (SD) who have both amassed countless goals in their four years. Granted, some people will say that numbers can be run up, depending on competition, but you have to give players like that credit for their skill and work ethic.

Without a doubt, the keeper votes go to the top keepers in this region, probably in the state other than Rebecca Toler from Collierville. Wilson has proven herself time and time again and Davidson from Baylor has one of the lowest GA in the state. (doesn't hurt that her back line is tough as nails)

I am sure all over the state there are parents and coaches that could make a list such as this. I think it is nice to see it at a glance by city.... anyone else want to take a shot at it...Franklin, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville~~ care to take a stab at listing your best votes for candidates for All State. At best, they will surely be supported by the area's spectators and if you are lucky enough to have a Best of The Preps in your area, it would be fun to see how many on your list make it for the city wide talent pool. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It's been a great year.... and seniors - thanks for the memories. Will will miss your leadership and talent on and off the pitch !

Sorry so long of a post....I got long winded.

Interesting that you would leave off a District Defensive MVP while including a teammate at the same position. That certainly casts a shadow of doubt on your list as a whole.

A few considerations from Region 1 AAA.

Lauren McInturff, GK, Dobyns-Bennett

Allowed only 13 goals all season and unscored on in conference play. Held Bearden to 1 goal. Very underrated and unrecognized.

Aly Carrino, Forward, Greeneville, Senior

Overcame torn ACL as a Sophomore and is usually the smallest player on the field.

2008 stats: 25 goals/10assists

Offensive MVP at Katie Hunter

IMAC Offensive Player of the Year

Tori Head, Forward, Dobyns-Bennett, Senior

All-Tournament Team Katie Hunter

All-Tounament Team Lady Tribe Invitational

Won All-State last year and deserves a look again this year. Missed a good part of the season due to illness and still scored 25 goals including the game winner against Bearden.

Emily Johnson, Defender, Morristown West, Senior

Led the defense only allowing 15 goals all season and to team record of 11-3-4

2008 IMAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Interesting that you would leave off a District Defensive MVP while including a teammate at the same position. That certainly casts a shadow of doubt on your list as a whole.

People commenting on tuffnstuff's list have two options:

1. Be critical without adding any value added information

2. Be positive, suggesting additional players and why

I vote for #2. It adds to the discussion and has the opportunity to recognize additional deserving players. I would agree that a District Defensive MVP probably deserves to be included. So just let us know. No need to trash someone else's effort to recognize excellent players. Just make the list better and everyone gets to feel good.

People commenting on tuffnstuff's list have two options:

1. Be critical without adding any value added information

2. Be positive, suggesting additional players and why

I vote for #2. It adds to the discussion and has the opportunity to recognize additional deserving players. I would agree that a District Defensive MVP probably deserves to be included. So just let us know. No need to trash someone else's effort to recognize excellent players. Just make the list better and everyone gets to feel good.

Tuff let off Several all district players, while adding teamates...ummmm

I am sorry if I sounded HARSH, (Sorry Tuff) That was not my intention. I just think if your going to compile a list from alot of different schools then try, try to get it right without leaving players out. If your commenting about players from your own school, well at least everyone knows that you are seeing the world through rose colored glasses so to speak.

Futbal...You are right I must be more positive in my approach. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Tuff let off Several all district players, while adding teamates...ummmm

I am sorry if I sounded HARSH, (Sorry Tuff) That was not my intention. I just think if your going to compile a list from alot of different schools then try, try to get it right without leaving players out. If your commenting about players from your own school, well at least everyone knows that you are seeing the world through rose colored glasses so to speak.

Futbal...You are right I must be more positive in my approach. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ok MVM, I'm confused ..... are you and bluclearsky actually the same person, using two different logons to reply with. Hmmmm ...... I wish I had thought of that myself. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />