State pairings

schsdad02

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some would say CAK got the fortunate draw of not having to meet FRA or ND before the finals, but that type of thought can get you beat in a hurry if you overlook the quarters and semi's (which is one of the things I think our girls did somewhat last year).

This year, with all the upsets, anything can happen.

Some would say CAK got the fortunate draw of not having to meet FRA or ND before the finals, but that type of thought can get you beat in a hurry if you overlook the quarters and semi's (which is one of the things I think our girls did somewhat last year).

This year, with all the upsets, anything can happen.

It also looks to be a little passive first round with nothing like a #1 v #3 or #2 and #4 like the past several years.

It's a blind draw. There are no seedings. It's not college football. Seeding teams like that leaves subjectivity and meaningless rankings too much in play.

Those rankings are very accurate. The state tournament should be seeded. (not necessarily by those rankings but somehow, someway) They could have a panel of coaches or something but TSSAA will never do it because they don't want to give up control.

The state tournament draw looks good. I am happy as long the top three or four teams don't meet in the quarterfinals.

Those rankings are very accurate. The state tournament should be seeded. (not necessarily by those rankings but somehow, someway) They could have a panel of coaches or something but TSSAA will never do it because they don't want to give up control.

The state tournament draw looks good. I am happy as long the top three or four teams don't meet in the quarterfinals.

Show me an unbiased panel of coaches, or reporters, or parents , or administrators, etc. and I could agree with you.

For an example: when one of our parents (again, not me) inquired with Eurosport as to why we (Station Camp) were not ranked above Lipscomb, even though we had a better record and had beaten them, the question was forwarded to a Lipscomb coach or administrator for an "official" response. And they did respond. They were offended that such a question was asked, and gave several excuses as to why they lost. Evidentally those "excuses" were taken into consideration when the coaches were polled.

Show me an unbiased panel of coaches, or reporters, or parents , or administrators, etc. and I could agree with you.

For an example: when one of our parents (again, not me) inquired with Eurosport as to why we (Station Camp) were not ranked above Lipscomb, even though we had a better record and had beaten them, the question was forwarded to a Lipscomb coach or administrator for an "official" response. And they did respond. They were offended that such a question was asked, and gave several excuses as to why they lost. Evidentally those "excuses" were taken into consideration when the coaches were polled.

Even computers don't do it well.

Rankings are great and also awful. Teams that "deserve it" sometimes don't get it, and vice versa, and many people put a LOT into it, while others blow it off.

Even having a #1 ranking has drawbacks. While it is fun to be #1, an AWFUL big target and monkey comes with that. Look at how many #1's have been knocked off. (Talk to Texas!)

I remember back in 2003, we didn't even get ranked until Regions (I think we were 7th at that time). No one thought we could win then, either, EXCEPT ourselves. If you go in, just hoping that the "Big boys" (or girls in this case) are going to win, and you are just there for the ride, you may as well just stay home and save your school some money. Believe in yourselves. Coaches, look up some of the AWESOME upsets of all times! Watch "Miracle"! Get those girls believing.

And for you "Big girls", don't you DARE underestimate your opponent. They deserve better than that. If you look ahead to the next game and ignore the present game, you might find yourself without a game!

Personally, as most people know on these boards who have been on for a while, I like to fly as low on the radar as I can (which admittedly isn't all that low, but you get my drift.) I also admit that it is easy for me to say because we have had success. But I can tell you that with that success comes a LOT of other baggage. Would I trade it? Of course not, but it isn't ALL "sunshine and buttercups".

Hope you all get my meanderings. SCHSdad, I am so sorry that I won't be able to make it to the game. I REALLY like meeting Coach T'ers, and I hold you in high respect on these boards. Maybe we can meet up when you bring your girls up to Knoxville for their bus?