CPA vs. Hickman County (round 1)

football1011

I agree this team has improved greatly and if they continue to improve, a trip to the 'boro is entirely possible. As far as the late 90's and early 2000's, those teams played and dominated DCA, FRA, Ezell, Boyd B., USJ, BGA, and Goodpasture. Those are all 2A teams and above. The 2002 CPA State Champ team was no better in talent, and probably was not as good talent wise, as this year's CPA team. But they were dominate. They were what most people would call a hard nosed football team.

I agree with your comment on the 2002 team. However, all of those teams you mentioned except BGA and GP were in 1A when CPA dominated them and then moved up with CPA. It sounded like you were implying that CPA was beating all teams in higher classifications. Maybe Im wrong. As far as a trip to the boro, CPA is taking it one week at a time.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree this team has improved greatly and if they continue to improve, a trip to the 'boro is entirely possible. As far as the late 90's and early 2000's, those teams played and dominated DCA, FRA, Ezell, Boyd B., USJ, BGA, and Goodpasture. Those are all 2A teams and above. The 2002 CPA State Champ team was no better in talent, and probably was not as good talent wise, as this year's CPA team. But they were dominate. They were what most people would call a hard nosed football team.

As to techniques and finesse, it is virtually impossible to move a linebacker out of a hole with a screen block.

I guess my main point is that the program has had and continues to have good talent for a 2A school but under performs. Last year you had the good qb, a large offensive line, an outstanding wide receiver, an outstanding defensive tackle and good size and speed all around. But the team was barely over 500, lost all of its close games and went out in the first round. That's not the legacy this program inherited.

Right now there are several local programs that seem to be struggling. All of the Region 5 schools, with the exception of Goodpasture, seem to be down in number of players and fan support. Ezell, East Robertson, DCA and FRA are of special concern although I suspect FRA is due for a turnaround. Just a short five years ago their stadiums were filled to overflowing and the side lines were choked with young players. But now a Friday nite experience in their arena is but a shadow of its former self.

For the sake of future generations of players and old codgers like me that love high school football, I hope this CPA team is a rebirth of the program's past. (I hope the same for Ezell, ER, DCA & FRA). But, IMO, that is unlikely to happen unless the coaches, fans and supporters recognize that the program has deteriorated over the last several years and take steps to rectify the same.

Good luck to you and your team for the balance of the season.

Last year CPA played Goodpasture 1st game in playoffs - back to back away games - lost in overtime - Goodpasture went to finals. CPA QB Luke Roman thows a better ball "in my opinion" than last years QB Conner Lowry. Not to take anything away from Conner, great arm, tough player, and better runner, but Luke throws a "more catchable" ball - again my opinion. Kemp and Drummond are very capable/reliable receivers. CPA is going to take whatever u give it - if you can't defend the pass - they are going to pass it.

Congrats CPA. Good luck the rest of the way. Would love to see CPA against LC.

To the Dawgs, congrats on a good season. I really thought this was going to be our year, after last season. But this team proved to lack the same intensity and leadership that last year's team had. Oh well, it's over now. A LOT OF WORK TO BE DONE IN THE OFF-SEASON!!!

great game CPA....no excuses can be made, you guys were certainly the better team on Friday night....your passing game was all that it was made out to be and the D was awfully good as well....wish we could have been a little more competitive on the field....no doubt though, our kids played hard from whistle to whistle and they have no reason to hang their heads....I think Coach Patterson did a very good job in his first year as head coach going 8-2 in the regular season with both losses coming to two fine teams.....CPA is very good....don't know if they can run the table but may go pretty deep in the playoffs....Good luck the rest of the year

[/qu

The only 2 losses we had was the only 2 hard teams we played..The cheerleading coach couldve been 8-2 with this team..lots of talent.not very good coaching..

I agree hcspike, I don't know why your coach didn't call the option more. I don't think we stopped DJ all night.

I said that night I was glad they didn't call the option more. I think I could have called a better game and I don't even know the plays. Your kids here hard nosed, hit hard and played well.

Best of luck to you the rest of the school year. Your boys have nothing to be down about.