Region 3 3A swept again.

WreckingCrew

Im sorry but East Tennessee football isnt great. With the like of Maryville and Alcoa, thats it. East TN football is competative with each other, but outside of that not very strong football.

I guess Fulton and Austin East ain't no good and KC is awful. When was the last win region 3 or 4 had over one of those 3?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry but East Tennessee football isnt great. With the like of Maryville and Alcoa, thats it. East TN football is competative with each other, but outside of that not very strong football.

Actually, I think region 2 (teams in and around Knoxville) is very strong, and they regularly beat region 4 teams in the playoffs. Which shows you just how weak region 3 really is.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I suspect that Brandon is learning more and more each with each problem child he has, and how he must remove the cancers from the team sooner.

Discipline Discipline Discipline! Until Coach Derrick instills it on his team they will never make it. IMO this is Central's worst enemy and it shows every game that they face adversity. As tigerpride said in another thread HIS way is not working. Coach Derrick needs to make the rules not let the team vote on anything. Running a team should be a dictatorship from the Coaches down to the players not a democracy where the players get to decide. The only vote the team should have would be captains. Maybe Coach Derrick just can't handle the pressure of making those type of decisions involving discipline. BTW WreckingCrew, I was another one that said this region was weak. Dang it I have agreed with a few of your posts in the last two days whats going on! I must be sick! Nah I just think your coming around to my way of thinking. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Discipline Discipline Discipline! Until Coach Derrick instills it on his team they will never make it. IMO this is Central's worst enemy and it shows every game that they face adversity. As tigerpride said in another thread HIS way is not working. Coach Derrick needs to make the rules not let the team vote on anything. Running a team should be a dictatorship from the Coaches down to the players not a democracy where the players get to decide. The only vote the team should have would be captains. Maybe Coach Derrick just can't handle the pressure of making those type of decisions involving discipline. BTW WreckingCrew I was another that said this region was weak. Dang it I have agreed with a few of your posts in the last two days whats going on! I must be sick! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I especially enjoyed watching the Central coach stand far away from his team so that everyone in attendance could watch as he flung his arms up to the heavens every time a penalty was called on the Chargers. And the self proclaimed proudest school in the state of tennessee surely wasnt proud of the actions of that player who go ejected for running his yap at the referees 1 too many times.

Discipline Discipline Discipline! Until Coach Derrick instills it on his team they will never make it. IMO this is Central's worst enemy and it shows every game that they face adversity. As tigerpride said in another thread HIS way is not working. Coach Derrick needs to make the rules not let the team vote on anything. Running a team should be a dictatorship from the Coaches down to the players not a democracy where the players get to decide. The only vote the team should have would be captains. Maybe Coach Derrick just can't handle the pressure of making those type of decisions involving discipline. BTW WreckingCrew I was another that said this region was weak. Dang it I have agreed with a few of your posts in the last two days whats going on! I must be sick! /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

You know what, I am getting sick and tired win this win that, and I can't wait till next year. I want to win, don't get me wrong. I however, want to see good kids learning lessons for the rest of their lives. What is wrong with us that we don't demand that our kids be taught how to be good people. I know first it comes from home, then as some others have posted elsewhere it comes from role models such as coaches and teachers. What I mean is most kids are a reflection of their surroundings. I am talking to all programs and coaches. It is a huge responsibility and one not to be taken lightly. When you take on this role, think about the language used around the kids, think about your conversations, think about their future because they are our future. Some may disagree and say win, win, win at all cost. I say let's win our kids and put the effort in to making them good men first then we will win on the field no matter what. Sorry to use this thread for this, just on the mind of a concerned person.

Discipline Discipline Discipline! Until Coach Derrick instills it on his team they will never make it. IMO this is Central's worst enemy and it shows every game that they face adversity. As tigerpride said in another thread HIS way is not working. Coach Derrick needs to make the rules not let the team vote on anything. Running a team should be a dictatorship from the Coaches down to the players not a democracy where the players get to decide. The only vote the team should have would be captains. Maybe Coach Derrick just can't handle the pressure of making those type of decisions involving discipline. BTW WreckingCrew, I was another one that said this region was weak. Dang it I have agreed with a few of your posts in the last two days whats going on! I must be sick! Nah I just think your coming around to my way of thinking. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I have no problem with your message but I really hate how you continue to take your shots a coach Derrick. He did tighten up on discipline this year as he is still learning himself about being a head coach. Granted it still needs to be better and I promise you it will be better. Some of the problems he has had has been because he really wanted to help some of the kids with behavorial issues. He knew, as did his staff, that these kids had no guidence from home and had a chance to get out of a bad enviornment with a chance at college. I commend him for taking that stance even though it has caused him to take shots from you outsiders. At least those kids had a chance given to them to be successful at life when others wanted them thrown under the bus. Sometimes there are success stories and last year there were some at risk kids that are in school now, but there also are some failures, but they still had a chance. And by the way, for the last time, no team member voted on keeping or dismissing a player this year!!

You know what, I am getting sick and tired win this win that, and I can't wait till next year. I want to win, don't get me wrong. I however, want to see good kids learning lessons for the rest of their lives. What is wrong with us that we don't demand that our kids be taught how to be good people. I know first it comes from home, then as some others have posted elsewhere it comes from role models such as coaches and teachers. What I mean is most kids are a reflection of their surroundings. I am talking to all programs and coaches. It is a huge responsibility and one not to be taken lightly. When you take on this role, think about the language used around the kids, think about your conversations, think about their future because they are our future. Some may disagree and say win, win, win at all cost. I say let's win our kids and put the effort in to making them good men first then we will win on the field no matter what. Sorry to use this thread for this, just on the mind of a concerned person.

I have preached that very thing on this board and been bashed by several people here. A players actions are a direct reflection on you as a coach. Kids will do what's expected out of them most of the time. People say its the parents job but you as a coach can and should expect more. Do you think the kids at Polk all come from great homes with two loving parents? Sorry but its not true. Coach Davis expects his players to obey HIS rules and most of them do or they are gone no second or third chances. The few that follow his rules don't never get a chance to embarrass the school or the team in any way. I am not saying they all are perfect by no means.

And by the way, for the last time, no team member voted on keeping or dismissing a player this year!!

That's not the word I got! Shots at the coach are you kidding me the way he acts on the sidelines. Coach Derrick is very arrogant and IMO the players act like him. Speaking of kids having big ego's and arrogance where do they get it from? Some of the little league coaches have told me those kids didn't act like that when they played little league. Like I said they are a reflection of HIM! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sorry I got back on my soap box again I am done!

I believe Brandon has more discipline than most people on the outside realize, but less than some local "kool-aid" drinkers realize. In other words, the actual truth lies somewhere in-between.

You're preaching to the choir when you say the coach needs to be the boss. No one is more old school than I am. The high school coach I played for (yes, the one who practiced the wet hands/wet ball theory) was a former miltary man who had played football for the Army team in their heyday during the mid-to-late 40's. He took no crap from the players and let us know quickly from day one that playing football on HIS team was a privilege that you earned. He even went as far as making sure that we were clean shaven, and had our hair cut what he deemed properly. Sometimes we only dressed out 35 players, but that was the toughest, meanest 35 kids you'd ever seen. We were extremely well conditioned and several of us played on both sides of the ball. I never left the field for any reason unless I was hurt......and even then only if a broken bone was showing, or something to that effect. We beat many teams that dressed out 60-70 guys, but yet we were still in better shape than they were in the 4th quarter, even though many of us had never left the field. Gamenight was actually a relief for us compared to our grueling paractices.

If you recall, when I first started posting on here, I stepped on many toes of the Central fans because I didn't drink form the same proverbial kool-aid pitcher they did. I called Brandon out on several things, and was berated by many of the Charger fans as a know-it-all, or someone jealous of Brandon. Since I had shared many of my opinions with Brandon, I really shouldn't have been as "honest" with the information I had by posting it on a public forum. BUT, I knew there were a few players on the Charger team prior to the season who wouldn't have ever played for me just due to their general attitude observed by me in the preseason. Perhaps I'm too demanding, old fashioned, and hard core.....but it would have been my way or the highway, Brandon possibly overlooked some minor things from the players because he truly wanted to give these young men a chance. And even with some major issues from certain players, Brandon knew these guys had no one else who cared about them and loved them, and he kept thinking that he could help them by showing he cared about them. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, with our mamby-pamby society, things are a lot different now. Coaches can't make players to be clean shaven, or tell them to have their hair cut to look like a male, and they can't instill the discipline they may desire because of parental complaining and influence by the school administrations. I know this varies from school to school......especially with the social makeup differences of Englewood/Etowah, and Benton. Coach Davis has an ideal situation and probably has the full support of everyone in the community, and the administration when he disciplines his players. Coach Derrick isn't afforded that leniency, but I do think he wants it to be that way. However, the change can't always be made for these young men by the time they get in high school. Respect and discipline has to start at the home when their younger. Again, I believe in general Coach Davis has a better overall raised young man to deal with than "some" that Coach Derrick deals with.....thus making Brandon's position a tedious one to balance in knowing when to totally give up on helping.

My point is that although you or I may see something one way, there are other people working with these young men on a daily basis, and as their coach they have the right to do things their way. Again, bear in mind, that sometimes doing something different than you or I would do does change a young man's life sometimes. Coach Derrick's legacy will be determined by more things than wins and losses.

I believe Brandon has more discipline than most people on the outside realize, but less than some local "kool-aid" drinkers realize. In other words, the actual truth lies somewhere in-between.

You're preaching to the choir when you say the coach needs to be the boss. No one is more old school than I am. The high school coach I played for (yes, the one who practiced the wet hands/wet ball theory) was a former miltary man who had played football for the Army team in their heyday during the mid-to-late 40's. He took no crap from the players and let us know quickly from day one that playing football on HIS team was a privilege that you earned. He even went as far as making sure that we were clean shaven, and had our hair cut what he deemed properly. Sometimes we only dressed out 35 players, but that was the toughest, meanest 35 kids you'd ever seen. We were extremely well conditioned and several of us played on both sides of the ball. I never left the field for any reason unless I was hurt......and even then only if a broken bone was showing, or something to that effect. We beat many teams that dressed out 60-70 guys, but yet we were still in better shape than they were in the 4th quarter, even though many of us had never left the field. Gamenight was actually a relief for us compared to our grueling paractices.

If you recall, when I first started posting on here, I stepped on many toes of the Central fans because I didn't drink form the same proverbial kool-aid pitcher they did. I called Brandon out on several things, and was berated by many of the Charger fans as a know-it-all, or someone jealous of Brandon. Since I had shared many of my opinions with Brandon, I really shouldn't have been as "honest" with the information I had by posting it on a public forum. BUT, I knew there were a few players on the Charger team prior to the season who wouldn't have ever played for me just due to their general attitude observed by me in the preseason. Perhaps I'm too demanding, old fashioned, and hard core.....but it would have been my way or the highway, Brandon possibly overlooked some minor things from the players because he truly wanted to give these young men a chance. And even with some major issues from certain players, Brandon knew these guys had no one else who cared about them and loved them, and he kept thinking that he could help them by showing he cared about them. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, with our mamby-pamby society, things are a lot different now. Coaches can't make players to be clean shaven, or tell them to have their hair cut to look like a male, and they can't instill the discipline they may desire because of parental complaining and influence by the school administrations. I know this varies from school to school......especially with the social makeup differences of Englewood/Etowah, and Benton. Coach Davis has an ideal situation and probably has the full support of everyone in the community, and the administration when he disciplines his players. Coach Derrick isn't afforded that leniency, but I do think he wants it to be that way. However, the change can't always be made for these young men by the time they get in high school. Respect and discipline has to start at the home when their younger. Again, I believe in general Coach Davis has a better overall raised young man to deal with than "some" that Coach Derrick deals with.....thus making Brandon's position a tedious one to balance in knowing when to totally give up on helping.

My point is that although you or I may see something one way, there are other people working with these young men on a daily basis, and as their coach they have the right to do things their way. Again, bear in mind, that sometimes doing something different than you or I would do does change a young man's life sometimes. Coach Derrick's legacy will be determined by more things than wins and losses.

Well may lightening strike me down!! I think there is some common ground here between me, 6+4 and W C! There is a ton of truth in your post W C. For what it is worth, you are spot on about the situation that Coach D. has had to deal with at Central. I have talked to some of the kids that has left Central for Polk and they say it is way different in school. I really do feel it will continue to get better at Central as I know the kids that are coming back and what some of the leaders have told me how they want to be remembered, and being more disciplined is at the top of their list. Look out 6+4, if we have some tallent AND be disciplined it could be bad news for Polk next year!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

name='WreckingCrew' post='826945387' date='Nov 10 2008 - 01:57 PM'] Coaches can't make players to be clean shaven, or tell them to have their hair cut to look like a male, and they can't instill the discipline they may desire because of parental complaining and influence by the school administrations. I know this varies from school to school......especially with the social makeup differences of Englewood/Etowah, and Benton. Coach Davis has an ideal situation and probably has the full support of everyone in the community, and the administration when he disciplines his players. Coach Derrick isn't afforded that leniency, but I do think he wants it to be that way. However, the change can't always be made for these young men by the time they get in high school. Respect and discipline has to start at the home when their younger.

I can agree with that for the most part and I see your point. The communtiy, administration and school board have to stand behind the coach and your right Coach Davis does have this support for the most part. We both have stomped on several toes in the past including each others. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I can agree with that for the most part and I see your point. The communtiy, administration and school board have to stand behind the coach and your right Coach Davis does have this support for the most part. We both have stomped on several toes in the past including each others. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I feel a group hug coming on!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Or at least a Stoney Dog lunch meeting!