MBA @ MUS

3yardsandacloudofdust

I would say MUS is considered the underdog because they are ranked below MBA in every poll I have seen this year even though MUS is undefeated and has played a very tough schedule.

Here is a review of the MUS schedule:

Date Opponent Result

Aug. 23 Melrose N W 13-12

Aug. 29 Kingsbury W 45-8

Sep. 5 at Olive Branch,MS W 29-22

Sep. 12 G.W. Carver W 56-18

Sep. 19 at Christian Brothers W 21-14

Sep. 26 Memphis Northside W 41-0

Oct. 3 Cookeville W 42-0

Oct. 17 Briarcrest Christian W 48-7

Oct. 24 at Evangelical Christian W 22-10

Oct. 31 St. Benedict W 59-7

Nov. 7 BGA W 49-21

Here are the classes, records, and tidbits about their opponents:

Melrose 4A 7-4

Kinsbury 4A 5-6

Olive Branch MS 9-2.(if you count Pahokee??”apparently Pahokee considered it a scrimmage) Only other loss was to undefeated South Panola.

GW Carver 2A 4-7

Christian Bros II-AA 7-4 Lost to MBA 34-0

Memphis Northside 4A 1-9

Cookeville 5A 8-3 Lost to Warren Co 20-14 (Ensworth beat Warren Co 36-7)

Briarcrest II-AA 7-4 Lost to Brentwood Academy 40-6 and to BGA 35-21

ECS II-AA 7-3 Lost to Christian Bros and Briarcrest. Barely beat CPA 17-13. Ryan beat CPA 52-15

St. Benedict II-AA 2-8 Lost to Ensworth 62-3, Briarcrest 68-34, ECS 42-7

BGA II-AA 8-3 Lost to Brentwood Academy 28-3, Lost to Ensworth 28-14

The Olive Branch win was certainly a win against a quality team.

Melrose is a good 4A team, but they are just that--a 4A team.

If Cookeville lost to Warren Co, I think that they would have trouble with the II-AA E/M teams.

BGA was the #4 E/M seed but it is debatable if they are better than McCallie and they may well have lost to Ryan on a dry field.

Guess I am wondering where the "really tough" schedule is.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a review of the MUS schedule:

Date Opponent Result

Aug. 23 Melrose N W 13-12

Aug. 29 Kingsbury W 45-8

Sep. 5 at Olive Branch,MS W 29-22

Sep. 12 G.W. Carver W 56-18

Sep. 19 at Christian Brothers W 21-14

Sep. 26 Memphis Northside W 41-0

Oct. 3 Cookeville W 42-0

Oct. 17 Briarcrest Christian W 48-7

Oct. 24 at Evangelical Christian W 22-10

Oct. 31 St. Benedict W 59-7

Nov. 7 BGA W 49-21

Here are the classes, records, and tidbits about their opponents:

Melrose 4A 7-4

Kinsbury 4A 5-6

Olive Branch MS 9-2.(if you count Pahokee??”apparently Pahokee considered it a scrimmage) Only other loss was to undefeated South Panola.

GW Carver 2A 4-7

Christian Bros II-AA 7-4 Lost to MBA 34-0

Memphis Northside 4A 1-9

Cookeville 5A 8-3 Lost to Warren Co 20-14 (Ensworth beat Warren Co 36-7)

Briarcrest II-AA 7-4 Lost to Brentwood Academy 40-6 and to BGA 35-21

ECS II-AA 7-3 Lost to Christian Bros and Briarcrest. Barely beat CPA 17-13. Ryan beat CPA 52-15

St. Benedict II-AA 2-8 Lost to Ensworth 62-3, Briarcrest 68-34, ECS 42-7

BGA II-AA 8-3 Lost to Brentwood Academy 28-3, Lost to Ensworth 28-14

The Olive Branch win was certainly a win against a quality team.

Melrose is a good 4A team, but they are just that--a 4A team.

If Cookeville lost to Warren Co, I think that they would have trouble with the II-AA E/M teams.

BGA was the #4 E/M ssed but it is debatable if they are better than McCallie and they may well have lost to Ryan on a dry field.

Guess I am wondering where the "really tough" schedule is.

For comparison, here is MBA's schedule. It is certainly debatable as to who played the tougher schedule:

Date Opponent Result

Aug. 22 Antioch W 45-19

Aug. 31 at Archbishop Moeller W 21-6

Sep. 5 at Baylor W 14-3

Sep. 12 at Hillsboro W 19-14

Sep. 19 Pope John Paul II W 51-7

Sep. 26 Ravenwood W 24-21

Oct. 3 at Ensworth L 28-41

Oct. 10 at Brentwood Academy W 13-7

Oct. 24 Father Ryan W 45-0

Oct. 31 McCallie W 35-16

Nov. 7 Christian Brothers W 34-0

Divisions, Records and Tidbits about Opponents:

Antioch 4A 5-6

Moeller OH 6-5

Baylor II-AA 5-5

Hillsboro 4A 9-2 Only other loss to 10-1 5A Franklin

JP II II-AA II-AA 3-7

Ravenwood 5A 6-5 Up-and-down team with wins vs 10-1 5A Brentwood High and vs Brentwood Academy.

Ryan II-AA 5-5 Another up and-down team. Beat BA, lost to BGA 7-3, lost to McCallie 21-0, lost to Ensworth 38-25 (despite leading with 2 mins left).

Ensworth II-AA 11-0

Brentwood Academy II-AA 7-4

McCallie II-AA 6-5 with 4 of the 5 losses coming from Ensworth, BA or MBA. Other loss was to 10-1 5A Franklin 36-35.

Christian Bros. II-AA 7-4

Still don't quite see your point...BA's schedule included five teams with even or losing records this year (and they lost to the team with an even record). MBA's schedule included five teams with even or losing records. Ensworth's schedule included six teams with losing records. MUS's schedule had only four teams with losing records. So if you're talking sheer wins and losses (which it appears that you are), it does seem that MUS had the tougher schedule this year.

Still don't quite see your point...BA's schedule included five teams with even or losing records this year (and they lost to the team with an even record). MBA's schedule included five teams with even or losing records. Ensworth's schedule included six teams with losing records. MUS's schedule had only four teams with losing records. So if you're talking sheer wins and losses (which it appears that you are), it does seem that MUS had the tougher schedule this year.

The issue was that MUS played a very tough schedule--that would mean quality wins against quality opponents.

BA, for instance, played only 2 losing teams and all of their games were against 5A or II-AA teams. Their opponents had a combined record of 70-46.

MBA's opponents were 70-48 and two teams had losing records. MBA played 2 4A Teams in addition to 5A and II-AA.

Beating up on Christian Bros, Briarcrest, and ECS (all teams with winning records) does not hold much weight in view of Friday night's results. Even including the impressive records of the above teams, MUS opponents were 65-53.

MUS also played 3 4A teams and a 2A team.

I will agree that Ensworth's schedule is by far the least impressive. Their opponents (including one 2A and one 3A school) were a combined 51-54.

The issue was that MUS played a very tough schedule--that would mean quality wins against quality opponents.

BA, for instance, played only 2 losing teams and all of their games were against 5A or II-AA teams. Their opponents had a combined record of 70-46.

MBA's opponents were 70-48 and only one team had a losing record. MBA played 2 4A Teams in addition to 5A and II-AA.

Beating up on Christian Bros, Briarcrest, and ECS (all teams with winning records) does not hold much weight in view of Friday night's results. Even including the impressive records of the above teams, MUS opponents were 65-53.

MUS also played 3 4A teams and a 2A team.

I will agree that Ensworth's schedule is by far the least impressive. Their opponents (including one 2A and one 3A school) were a combined 51-54.

I guess I was looking at the wrong site. I could swear that the TN Super Prep site's stats would have been correct. They show that of MBA's opponents, four had losing records (Antioch, PJP, Baylor and FRHS) and same for BA (Independence, Baylor, PJP and FRHS).

I guess I was looking at the wrong site. I could swear that the TN Super Prep site's stats would have been correct. They show that of MBA's opponents, four had losing records (Antioch, PJP, Baylor and FRHS) and same for BA (Independence, Baylor, PJP and FRHS).

Correction: MBA played 2 teams with losing records (Antioch 5-6 and JPII 3-7). Both Ryan and Baylor finished 5-5.

(I went back and corrected the original post.)

MUS played 4 teams with losing records including a 1-9 4A team (Northside) and a 2-8 team (St. Benedict). They also played a 4-7 2A team (Carver).

Ryan:

Date Opponent Details Result

Fri Aug. 22 at Hillwood W 38-7

Fri Aug. 29 Pope John Paul II N at Hillsboro W 23-20

Fri Sep. 5 at BGA R L 3-7

Fri Sep. 12 John Overton at Greer Stadium W 38-22

Fri Sep. 19 at McCallie R L 0-21

Fri Sep. 26 at CPA W 52-15

Fri Oct. 3 Knoxville Webb at Greer Stadium (Homecoming) L 0-6

Fri Oct. 17 Ensworth R at Greer Stadium L 25-38

Fri Oct. 24 at MBA R L 0-45

Fri Oct. 31 Brentwood Academy R at Greer Stadium W 27-23

Baylor:

Fri Aug. 29 at St. Anne's-Belfield,VA W 41-12

Fri Sep. 5 MBA R L 3-14

Fri Sep. 12 at Greater Atlanta Christian W 44-22

Fri Sep. 19 Brentwood Academy R L 21-42

Fri Sep. 26 Knoxville Catholic L 20-21

Fri Oct. 3 McCallie N R Finley Stadium L 3-24

Fri Oct. 10 at BGA R L 21-24

Fri Oct. 17 Lincoln Co. W 41-35

Fri Oct. 24 at Pope John Paul II W 28-7

Fri Oct. 31 Knoxville Webb R W 27-23

Correction: MBA played 2 teams with losing records (Antioch and JPII). Both Ryan and Baylor finished 5-5.

I can't see BCS, ECS, or CBHS going even 5-5 in E/M.

Ryan:

Fri Aug. 22 at Hillwood W 38-7

Fri Aug. 29 Pope John Paul II N at Hillsboro W 23-20

Fri Sep. 5 at BGA R L 3-7

Fri Sep. 12 John Overton at Greer Stadium W 38-22

Fri Sep. 19 at McCallie R L 0-21

Fri Sep. 26 at CPA W 52-15

Fri Oct. 3 Knoxville Webb at Greer Stadium (Homecoming) L 0-6

Fri Oct. 17 Ensworth R at Greer Stadium L 25-38

Fri Oct. 24 at MBA R L 0-45

Fri Oct. 31 Brentwood Academy R at Greer Stadium W 27-23

Baylor:

Fri Aug. 29 at St. Anne's-Belfield,VA W 41-12

Fri Sep. 5 MBA R L 3-14

Fri Sep. 12 at Greater Atlanta Christian W 44-22

Fri Sep. 19 Brentwood Academy R L 21-42

Fri Sep. 26 Knoxville Catholic L 20-21

Fri Oct. 3 McCallie N R Finley Stadium L 3-24

Fri Oct. 10 at BGA R L 21-24

Fri Oct. 17 Lincoln Co. W 41-35

Fri Oct. 24 at Pope John Paul II W 28-7

Fri Oct. 31 Knoxville Webb R W 27-23

OK, well then I stand corrected. Guess it's my Shelby County public school education. I think I need to stay off this board for the duration...with a son on the field for the Owls, I'm far too close to see things objectively, and it's just not good for my psyche. Hope you MBA folks have a safe trip down and back, and here's to a good clean game. Go Owls!

OK, well then I stand corrected. Guess it's my Shelby County public school education. I think I need to stay off this board for the duration...with a son on the field for the Owls, I'm far too close to see things objectively, and it's just not good for my psyche. Hope you MBA folks have a safe trip down and back, and here's to a good clean game. Go Owls!

Hope you all have a great week in Memphis. Thanks for your input and insight.

It should be a great game for the Owl fans and for the Big Red fans.

MBA will struggle at first, but will get on track by 2nd half and win by 6.

MBA's kicker will be key in this game.

I know MUS is a quality team and program. Anyone that is undefeated is tough. My intuition just says that MBA is going to come out on top in this one. I am basing that off of the Midstate and Eaststate DII teams that MBA must contend with...I think, at this time, these areas of the state play a better brand of FB than the Weststate teams do.

MBA is just so sound, and that kicker of theirs is worth several points...just ask BA, he has accounted for 26 of the 38 points they have scored on BA in the last 3 meetings.

I know MUS is a quality team and program. Anyone that is undefeated is tough. My intuition just says that MBA is going to come out on top in this one. I am basing that off of the Midstate and Eaststate DII teams that MBA must contend with...I think, at this time, these areas of the state play a better brand of FB than the Weststate teams do.

MBA is just so sound, and that kicker of theirs is worth several points...just ask BA, he has accounted for 26 of the 38 points they have scored on BA in the last 3 meetings.

MUS will prove its mettle (once again) Friday nite vs MBA, and go on to play for the D-II State Title.

They are a very SPECIAL football team!

You don't have to be objective, just sensible and gentlemanly, which you've been. I personally don't hold it against you that you'll be pulling for the Unwashed. And I hope you have a great day Friday, with the exception of a small hiccupp in the evening, say from about 7-9:30 PM.

I would love to get up there for this (I weighed the possibility, but I have a work commitment on Friday evening). I suspect it will be a great game, and I hear the MUS facility is very impressive.