MBA @ MUS

3yardsandacloudofdust

No. This prediction does NOT sound ok to me!

------------------------------------------------------

Take nothing away from once-beaten MBA, they've obviously played very well this year...and against good competition. I just think that MBAs "favorite" status is moreso a reflection of their victory over the traditional Ohio power, Archbishop Moeller. That victory gave them more clout, on a National scale. Thus, they're given the edge over MUS.

MUS is undefeated, playing at home and has played a very tough schedule, in their own right! Yet, since they have not beaten any National, "traditional Powerhouses" from a " Powerhouse State," then their victories apparently don't carry as much clout, in the views of these so-called "expert" prognosticators (sp?).

In otherwords, MUS does not get as much respect as does a MBA. Instead, MUS' victories get an instant and sizeable discount!"

I say, "hogwash!" All this Ficticious National rankings / "Powerhouse" status crap means absolutely nothing, at the end of the day!

MUS has a great team. They've got a stellar resume. Just because their opponents are not Nationally known and/or from the so-called Powerhouse States, does not mean that they were poor quality, inferior teams. Great football is played everywhere....Yes, even in Memphis Tennessee and Mississippi!

The last time I checked, no State had been granted exclusive rights to "great football."

Bottom line: MUS should be FAVORED to win this game. Furthermore, they deserve a whole lot more respect than they're getting. Sure, I know it's only one point; that's one point too much, as far as I'm concerned! It's an absolute insult.

----------------------------------------------------------

Prediction: MUS 24 --- MBA 17

Condensed from earlier posts:

Guess I am wondering where the "really tough" schedule is.

MBA played 2 teams with losing records (Antioch 5-6 and JPII 3-7).

MUS played 4 teams with losing records including a 1-9 4A team (Northside) and a 2-8 team (St. Benedict). They also played a 4-7 2A team (Carver).

MBA's opponents were 70-48. MBA played 2 4A Teams in addition to 5A and II-AA.

Beating up on Christian Bros, Briarcrest, and ECS (all teams with winning records) does not hold much weight in view of Friday night's results. Even including the impressive records of the above teams, MUS opponents were 65-53.

MUS also played 3 4A teams and a 2A team

Here is a review of the MUS schedule:

Melrose 4A 7-4

Kinsbury 4A 5-6

Olive Branch MS 9-2.(if you count Pahokee??”apparently Pahokee considered it a scrimmage) Only other loss was to undefeated South Panola.

GW Carver 2A 4-7

Christian Bros II-AA 7-4 Lost to MBA 34-0

Memphis Northside 4A 1-9

Cookeville 5A 8-3 Lost to Warren Co 20-14 (Ensworth beat Warren Co 36-7)

Briarcrest II-AA 7-4 Lost to Brentwood Academy 40-6 and to BGA 35-21

ECS II-AA 7-3 Lost to Christian Bros and Briarcrest. Barely beat CPA 17-13. Ryan beat CPA 52-15

St. Benedict II-AA 2-8 Lost to Ensworth 62-3, Briarcrest 68-34, ECS 42-7

BGA II-AA 8-3 Lost to Brentwood Academy 28-3, Lost to Ensworth 28-14

The Olive Branch win was certainly a win against a quality team.

Melrose is a good 4A team, but they are just that--a 4A team.

If Cookeville lost to Warren Co, I think that they would have trouble with the II-AA E/M teams.

BGA was the #4 E/M seed but it is debatable if they are better than McCallie and they may well have lost to Ryan on a dry field.

For comparison, here is MBA's schedule:

Antioch 4A 5-6

Moeller OH 6-5

Baylor II-AA 5-5

Hillsboro 4A 9-2 Only other loss to nationally ranked (#59) 10-1 5A Franklin.

JP II II-AA II-AA 3-7

Ravenwood 5A 6-5 Up-and-down team with wins vs nationally ranked (#124) 10-1 5A Brentwood High and vs Brentwood Academy.

Ryan II-AA 5-5 Another up and-down team. Beat BA, lost to BGA 7-3, lost to McCallie 21-0, lost to Ensworth 38-25 (despite leading with 2 mins left).

Ensworth II-AA 11-0

Brentwood Academy II-AA 7-4

McCallie II-AA 6-5 with 4 of the 5 losses coming from Ensworth, BA or MBA. Other loss was to nationally ranked (#59) 10-1 5A Franklin 36-35.

Christian Bros. II-AA 7-4

It is certainly debatable as to who played the tougher schedule.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. This prediction does NOT sound ok to me!

------------------------------------------------------

Take nothing away from once-beaten MBA, they've obviously played very well this year...and against good competition. I just think that MBAs "favorite" status is moreso a reflection of their victory over the traditional Ohio power, Archbishop Moeller. That victory gave them more clout, on a National scale. Thus, they're given the edge over MUS.

MUS is undefeated, playing at home and has played a very tough schedule, in their own right! Yet, since they have not beaten any National, "traditional Powerhouses" from a " Powerhouse State," then their victories apparently don't carry as much clout, in the views of these so-called "expert" prognosticators (sp?).

In otherwords, MUS does not get as much respect as does a MBA. Instead, MUS' victories get an instant and sizeable discount!"

I say, "hogwash!" All this Ficticious National rankings / "Powerhouse" status crap means absolutely nothing, at the end of the day!

MUS has a great team. They've got a stellar resume. Just because their opponents are not Nationally known and/or from the so-called Powerhouse States, does not mean that they were poor quality, inferior teams. Great football is played everywhere....Yes, even in Memphis Tennessee and Mississippi!

The last time I checked, no State had been granted exclusive rights to "great football."

Bottom line: MUS should be FAVORED to win this game. Furthermore, they deserve a whole lot more respect than they're getting. Sure, I know it's only one point; that's one point too much, as far as I'm concerned! It's an absolute insult.

----------------------------------------------------------

Prediction: MUS 24 --- MBA 17

Breathe! And take your meds...it was posted in jest: I really didn't think MUS would call off the game. Not sure who "made" MBA a favorite, but if you look at the MBA posters here, we have the greatest respect for MUS, and are keenly aware of our record against them. You're looking for an insult where none was intended.

3yards,

You have done a whole lot of schedule posting to show basically what I meant by saying that MUS has had a very tough schedule. Basically, there isn't much difference in the two schedules. Therefore, shouldn't the undefeated team get a little more respect instead of a lot less respect than the other team? I know that MBA fans keep saying they don't know who is making MUS the underdog, but it is out there. MUS is rated significantly below MBA in pretty much every poll. My point in stating that MUS won it in 2004 and 2005 is that there shouldn't be the Middle TN vs. West TN bias when it concerns MUS. They have proven that they can handle teams from Middle TN just like they can handle the West TN teams. And how can anyone get on here and argue the margin of victory against CBHS as showing anything? It is MUS' biggest rivalry game on the road a week after they beat nationally ranked Olive Branch who has a D1 size team. There are many who think this is the best team that MUS has ever had. I'm not going to argue with that. This team might not have the D1 offensive lineman and linebackers that the 2004 and 2005 teams had, but the QB and 3 RBs are as explosive a group as there is in the state.

3yards,

You have done a whole lot of schedule posting to show basically what I meant by saying that MUS has had a very tough schedule. Basically, there isn't much difference in the two schedules. Therefore, shouldn't the undefeated team get a little more respect instead of a lot less respect than the other team? I know that MBA fans keep saying they don't know who is making MUS the underdog, but it is out there. MUS is rated significantly below MBA in pretty much every poll. My point in stating that MUS won it in 2004 and 2005 is that there shouldn't be the Middle TN vs. West TN bias when it concerns MUS. They have proven that they can handle teams from Middle TN just like they can handle the West TN teams. And how can anyone get on here and argue the margin of victory against CBHS as showing anything? It is MUS' biggest rivalry game on the road a week after they beat nationally ranked Olive Branch who has a D1 size team. There are many who think this is the best team that MUS has ever had. I'm not going to argue with that. This team might not have the D1 offensive lineman and linebackers that the 2004 and 2005 teams had, but the QB and 3 RBs are as explosive a group as there is in the state.

Good points, Memphisreb. The MUS-CBHS series is a heated rivalry, just like MBA-BA, who played to a whopping 13-7 score this year. So much for the margin of victory argument when you're talking a long-standing rivalry.

3yards,

Actually, i think my "whole lot of schedule posting" shows exactly the opposite--that MUS has not played a very tough schedule. Certainly not as tough as MBA or BA.

That being said, I picked MUS to win this game on the "Division II Playoffs" thread several weeks ago and I reiterated my pick of MUS again this morning.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...#entry826948258

I did not pick MUS on the basis of a "very tough schedule" though. In fact, I almost changed my pick to MBA when I saw that their record might be inflated by their schedule.

We will see Friday night.

Good points, Memphisreb. The MUS-CBHS series is a heated rivalry, just like MBA-BA, who played to a whopping 13-7 score this year. So much for the margin of victory argument when you're talking a long-standing rivalry.

BA is a much better team than CBHS--rivalry or not.

You and Memphisreb need to read my posts a little more closely--I think you missed the point.

Naw, I think we got your point...but it's a very debatable one.

Specifically, what do you mean? What makes the MUS schedule a "tough" one? Melrose and Olive Branch?

The points are laid out very clearly. Facts is facts.

You are free to try to refute them point-by-point (opponent won-loss, quality of opponent, playing smaller schools, beating up on ECS, BCS, CBHS, etc.)

Specifically, what do you mean? What makes the MUS schedule a "tough" one? Melrose and Olive Branch?

The points are laid out very clearly. Facts is facts.

You are free to try to refute them point-by-point (opponent won-loss, quality of opponent, playing smaller schools, beating up on ECS, BCS, CBHS, etc.)

Sorry, I really don't have the time, but if you really wanted all the facts, then you'd need to extrapolate your figures out a little farther...who did Melrose play and the scores, and the scores of their opponents opponents and so on. I'm sure you can see it's a useless endeavor. I'm curious though...if MUS wins on Friday, will you then admit that MBA got beaten by what you consider a "lesser" opponent with a fluff schedule? By the way, MUS has no choice but to play ECS, BCS and CBHS...they are in our region. Peace. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Sorry, I really don't have the time, but if you really wanted all the facts, then you'd need to extrapolate your figures out a little farther...who did Melrose play and the scores, and the scores of their opponents opponents and so on. I'm sure you can see it's a useless endeavor. I'm curious though...if MUS wins on Friday, will you then admit that MBA got beaten by what you consider a "lesser" opponent with a fluff schedule? By the way, MUS has no choice but to play ECS, BCS and CBHS...they are in our region. Peace. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

As I said earlier, I have picked MUS to win. I just don't think that the claims that they played a "tough" schedule are accurate. I am picking them because they have an excellent QB and home-field advantage. MBA is a little banged-up in the secondary and have not really been challenged by a dual-threat QB all year.

We would have a lot better idea how good MUS is if they played a few more 5A teams or some of the E/M Division II teams. Their relatively weak schedule is what makes them a mystery and keeps them under the radar in the national rankings.

I hope you will take my comments in the spirit they are given. I wish you and MUS good luck and we will really find out how good they are in the next week or two.

Peace.