MBA @ MUS

3yardsandacloudofdust

I wish MBA could have played MUS with the healthy starting defensive and offensive players that MBA had against Moeller plus starting center Owen Lipscomb who did not play against Moeller. But that's football, BA stayed pretty healthy all year and got there in the end and will play a very good MUS team. It should be a good match up very physical on the line however MUS's quarterback will open things up a bit. Should be a good game.

Sorry, BA did not stay healthy all year.... Glen Searcy, Jackson Boyd, Phillip Henninger, DJ Luna, Cody Nelson were some of the key that were injured this year and out games. The majority of those are back now, but Boyd still remains off the list and Searcy and Henninger are seeing limited play.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, BA did not stay healthy all year.... Glen Searcy, Jackson Boyd, Phillip Henninger, DJ Luna, Cody Nelson were some of the key that were injured this year and out games. The majority of those are back now, but Boyd still remains off the list and Searcy and Henninger are seeing limited play.

let's not forget Justin Cash who missed several games due to should surgery in the offseason, he's back too and making a difference.

No big deal. Every team has those types of fans here and there; no one is perfect. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to filter those who have something to contribute and those who are blowhards.

Winning games and titles are the best way to earn respect; everything else (fan polls, message board fodder, etc.) is just noise. I think MUS will earn the requisite "respect" in nine days.

My only post since last year was placed well before the game and can be read in this same thread. While I will not defend a blowhard (somebody apparently fired bigred up), I will defend MUS. Moreover, we should have earned your "respect" on November 14, 2008 in a football game that was scrimmaged at Hull Dobbs field in Memphis, Tennessee. Importantly, however, we have already earned the "respect" of the entire state over the last three decades....No martyrs at MUS, just a heck of a lot of winners.

Anyway, congrats to MBA on a heck of a year. Now Brentwood is next for MUS - the team that has been the measuring stick for Tennessee state titles and our success over those same three decades. Pass the popcorn and go owls.

My only post since last year was placed well before the game and can be read in this same thread. While I will not defend a blowhard (somebody apparently fired bigred up), I will defend MUS. Moreover, we should have earned your "respect" on November 14, 2008 in a football game that was scrimmaged at Hull Dobbs field in Memphis, Tennessee. Importantly, however, we have already earned the "respect" of the entire state over the last three decades....No martyrs at MUS, just a heck of a lot of winners.

Anyway, congrats to MBA on a heck of a year. Now Brentwood is next for MUS - the team that has been the measuring stick for Tennessee state titles and our success over those same three decades. Pass the popcorn and go owls.

Reread the whole thread and get perspective. You're barking up the wrong tree by calling me out. "My respect" for MUS has never been in question - before or after last week's game; it is the respect from others - and the occasional martyrdom (yes, MUS did play a "no respect" card on this thread - is it not obvious?) - that was the issue at hand.

Being a "winner" (MBA knows a little about that concept as well) goes beyond Ws and Ls on the field. If you think owlbooster's humility is representative of a "winner", then this argument is futile. By the way, he has not been back to comment on this thread since his potshot (I rest my case on fair-weathered fans like that one).

The MUS alums (old school) I know would be ashamed of some of the sportsmanship shown by some of their fellow fans on here.

Another classy post! MBA tried to play their game...they prefer the run, but throw fairly often. They played a team that was simply better than they were. Go back and read the previous posts from MBA people (or have your mom read them to you) and you'll see there was nobody from MBA who came in expecting a cake-walk. The MBA contingent felt that at best this would be a very difficult game, and at worst...well, it might end up like it did. Further, if you'll look at rollredroll's post before the game, we're well aware that our record against MUS is not good.

So, could we put a rest to the martyrdom and "We're not getting the respect we deserve from those uppity Nashvillians"? Try to be as classy as your team.

OK....change the word "steamroll" to "beat" and you have NO reason for your hyperbolic overreaction. Sorry for the wrong word choice. I am well aware that "MBA people" knew they were in a for a tough game. But the MBA COACH did not think the MUS defense could stop consistently MBA's running (OR passing) game. If you don't believe that, give him a call and ask him.

Reread the whole thread and get perspective. You're barking up the wrong tree by calling me out. "My respect" for MUS has never been in question - before or after last week's game; it is the respect from others - and the occasional martyrdom (yes, MUS did play a "no respect" card on this thread - is it not obvious?) - that was the issue at hand.

Being a "winner" (MBA knows a little about that concept as well) goes beyond Ws and Ls on the field. If you think owlbooster's humility is representative of a "winner", then this argument is futile. By the way, he has not been back to comment on this thread since his potshot (I rest my case on fair-weathered fans like that one).

The MUS alums (old school) I know would be ashamed of some of the sportsmanship shown by some of their fellow fans on here.

I posted my comment on Sunday, when I first "discovered" this blog site. If I had had an "attitude" towards provoking ill-willed responses by my lack of "humility" I would have been watching for them. Truth is I have a demanding time-consuming job during the week. Tonight is the first time I have had to "catch up." Thus, were I so inclined, I could consider YOUR comment about my so-called one-time "fair-weathered fan" "potshot" a "potshot" from YOU. Not so. This is my 2nd posted response tonight. If I have the time, I might make more. I certainly have no lack of respect for MBA and BA. They are the "yardsticks" by which everybody else is judged. For better or worse, MUS does not play any schools from Nashville during the regular season any more. And the only time any of the better public schools in Shelby County will play MUS is in the Bridges Kickoff Classic - NOT by choice. Thus, they end up playing meaningless games (except for PR) against "inner-city" schools like Northside and Carver and do, indeed, have less challenging schedules then most Nashville schools. What amazed me though was the apparent lack of notice when MUS beat Olive Branch, preseason #2 in Mississippi behind the almost legendary South Panola. Then there was the pasting of Cookeville, at the time a "top ten" midstate team. Yet, before their beating of MBA, MUS usually was rated behind Ensworth, MBA and/or BA. That simply was a little hard to comprehend, especially since BA had lost four games, admittedly against tough competition, and Ensworth's schedule could hardly be considered any better than MUS'. Try to put yourself in the position of Memphis fans and you might understand why a "Rodney Dangerfield" attitude might result. But don't ever think that a perceived lack of respect for MUS was ever a mean-spirited jab at Nashville schools or fans. Sorry so many have taken it to be that. Never was my intent. And frankly, I'm a little amazed at that interpretation. (See my other posting and my use of the word "steamroll" instead of "beat.") I had watched several MBA, BA and EHS games on TV or the internet; was and still am confident that this year MUS is better. I could still be proven wrong and have to eat my words. After all, it's still a game played on the field, not on the internet or in polls, and when two quality teams meet, either can win.

If you go to musowls.org there is a link to a replay of the MBA/MUS game. After watching the game I will say that the teams obviously were a lot closer in talent than the score. However, MBA just made way too many mistakes that good teams can't make. MUS had some big plays that make it hard to blame it all on turnovers though. Brunetti and McBride will both be back next year which is a lot of speed in the backfield.

Again, I want to apologize to all the MBA fans who don't think some MUS fans are being classy. As I have said, I think of it has a lot to do with the fact that the best team in Memphis and maybe TN can't get any respect until they spank MBA, BA, or Ensworth.

Almond will be back also... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

About as expected from a poster who joins the site only after the big game. Those types have all the stones in the world when things are in their favor but are nowhere to be found when it's time to go out on a limb before the game or when things turn south. Flash in the pan.

I was going to make a post earlier about "Win with class, lose with class". Frankly, I don't think he has to worry about losing with class this year. The main question is whether he can learn the former.

Excellent point on the "martyrdom". It's getting pretty inane. MUS was given all the credit in the world from people in the know prior to the game. I'm waiting for a new Memphis poster to show up with the screen name "identitycrisis".

To clear the air, please read my other posts tonight and notice that I "joined" the day I first discovered the site, which happened because I was looking for feedback/opinions in Nashville about the game after not finding a word about it on the Tennessean's website.

I posted my comment on Sunday, when I first "discovered" this blog site. If I had had an "attitude" towards provoking ill-willed responses by my lack of "humility" I would have been watching for them. Truth is I have a demanding time-consuming job during the week....

Fair enough.

Not all people failed to notice MUS's win over Olive Branch. I even noted it here.

Some of us spend way too much time on this site (despite our own time-consuming jobs, families, etc.), myself included. Nevertheless, as the saying goes, "it is what it is", and as such, it gets a little tiring to see fans come out of the woodwork after big wins. Granted, some of them do just happen upon the site (like yourself); many others lurk for awhile until they have a chance to toot. Perhaps I should have given you the benefit of the doubt. Still, the fans that come out of the woodwork can be annoying. Granted, high school football is not marriage, but it is refreshing to see fans on here for better, for worse (or, in football sense, during wins and losses).

Yes, I can understand the "Rodney Dangerfield" mentality, but MUS's history (and, as I noted well before the game, its record versus MBA) and all-time winning percentage should stand on its own merit, regardless of fan polls, computer ratings, media rankings, message board material. As such, it was hard to embrace the "woe is us" comments prior to the game.

Anyway, let's move on. Personally, I think MUS wins the BA game going away - the MUS team I saw was better than the BA team I saw at the time - but either way, the DII-AA title game is always a matchup of TN powerhouses. It's a shame the TSSAA doesn't see it worthy of broadcast.

OK....change the word "steamroll" to "beat" and you have NO reason for your hyperbolic overreaction. Sorry for the wrong word choice. I am well aware that "MBA people" knew they were in a for a tough game. But the MBA COACH did not think the MUS defense could stop consistently MBA's running (OR passing) game. If you don't believe that, give him a call and ask him.

If I'm taking your point correctly here, MBA's Coach is dissing MUS because he called running and passing plays, because he didn't believe that MUS could stop either one consistently....Those are pretty much the only two options; you have to do one or the other with the ball. I guess out of deference, we could have just not shown up, but that somehow doesn't feel quite right either. What should we have done that wouldn't have been insulting? Punt on first down every time we had the ball?

A lot of folks would be real happy with a 35-7 win over a program like MBA's (ask Ryan supporters). Maybe you should be too, and stop looking for things to complain about.