volunteer girls basketball

easttnboy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of team will they have this year? BE realistic! Also, what is the future like in a few years? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

We have very few schedules entered from your area. I have been unable to find 08/09 schedules for Volunteer and others. If you have one or more and can enter them it would be a big help. thanks.

What kind of team will they have this year? BE realistic! Also, what is the future like in a few years? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Saw them at jamboree last night. They will struggle, to many turnovers from a team with 5 - 6 returning varsity players from last year. Hopefully new coacht will fix turnover problem have them handling pressure defense. They we be more competitive by mid season if they work hard.

DB looks like team to beat this year!

It is going to be another long hard season. Myers is a good coach and has quickly earned the girls respect. Except for McFarland he is playing basically same girls that have only won eight games in two years. If I was a new coach I would also go with last year's starters to begin with. But if I'm going to turn program around I would not expect different results with same girls. I've watched and or coached a lot of these girls all the way up from rec league and know their abilities quite well. Myers has something Anderson never had, a little depth, the ability to substitute without diminishing level of play and girls that are not starting yet that are as good as anyone in big nine at their position. It wil take a few games to sort things out and Myers has my full confidence. By mid season I'm sure he wiil have best combination on floor. Be patient it will happen. It is time to turn our girls program around and win more tha 2 games a year!!

It is going to be another long hard season. Myers is a good coach and has quickly earned the girls respect. Except for McFarland he is playing basically same girls that have only won eight games in two years. If I was a new coach I would also go with last year's starters to begin with. But if I'm going to turn program around I would not expect different results with same girls. I've watched and or coached a lot of these girls all the way up from rec league and know their abilities quite well. Myers has something Anderson never had, a little depth, the ability to substitute without diminishing level of play and girls that are not starting yet that are as good as anyone in big nine at their position. It wil take a few games to sort things out and Myers has my full confidence. By mid season I'm sure he wiil have best combination on floor. Be patient it will happen. It is time to turn our girls program around and win more tha 2 games a year!!

it don't have to be another long hard season. Myers is a great coach, his record in Va. proves that, from what i understand. He has a new team of girls that have to adapt to his way of coaching. Your right he is playing with Coach Anderson last years starting 3(Price,Porter,and Gilliam). Bledsoe graduates and Drane is out with medical issues.WHo deserves to go on the floor with these veterans? McFarland or Huddle that can weave through traffic at point and can actually use the other hand, you know the left-hand dribble. Linholm with a big heart for the game and big lungs that can carry herself the extra mile when everyone else is tired and bent over. Odell still young and still can be coached or the new girl where is she from? Great vision in the paint can work on defense more but can't we all. Anderson ,free her up and let her shoot the long ball. O.k. i'm tired, you guessed it none of them, veterans included.

New coach,new season, and new set of 5 starters. YOu can have some of the same but show me how much you want it. Don't expect it cause you played varsity last year or the year before that. show me something you did in the off season to make you better than the next girl wanting to play your spot. IF YOU ASK NOTHING OF ME, YOU GET NOTHING FROM ME!

Coach Myers gets some of what Coach Anderson had last year. Coach Anderson has gotten what the rec league and middle schools have gave him. Could that be the problem? Not to offend, but the feeder programs need to get more involved with these high schools in Hawkins Co. to groom the upcoming players for the next level. I don't think that is happening. Why couldn't you ask the high school varsity coach what they need to learn before getting to his level? Other schools do it. It's not lack of interest ,cause the stands at Volunteer are full, but don't let it be for the wrong reasons like to see D.B. to play our LADY VOLUNTEER FALCONS.

Saw them at jamboree last night. They will struggle, to many turnovers from a team with 5 - 6 returning varsity players from last year. Hopefully new coacht will fix turnover problem have them handling pressure defense. They we be more competitive by mid season if they work hard.

DB looks like team to beat this year!

What 5-6 varsity players do you speak of? I only seen 3.

D.B. always looks like the team to beat in there conference then goes outside of conference and gets beat, boys and girls. Great athletes though were ever they are from.

What 5-6 varsity players do you speak of? I only seen 3.

D.B. always looks like the team to beat in there conference then goes outside of conference and gets beat, boys and girls. Great athletes though were ever they are from.

Porter, Drain, Price, Gilliam and McFarland (limited) are 5 that had varsity playing time last year. Maybe a couple more. Only real lose was Bledsoe.

it don't have to be another long hard season. Myers is a great coach, his record in Va. proves that, from what i understand. He has a new team of girls that have to adapt to his way of coaching. Your right he is playing with Coach Anderson last years starting 3(Price,Porter,and Gilliam). Bledsoe graduates and Drane is out with medical issues.WHo deserves to go on the floor with these veterans? McFarland or Huddle that can weave through traffic at point and can actually use the other hand, you know the left-hand dribble. Linholm with a big heart for the game and big lungs that can carry herself the extra mile when everyone else is tired and bent over. Odell still young and still can be coached or the new girl where is she from? Great vision in the paint can work on defense more but can't we all. Anderson ,free her up and let her shoot the long ball. O.k. i'm tired, you guessed it none of them, veterans included.

New coach,new season, and new set of 5 starters. YOu can have some of the same but show me how much you want it. Don't expect it cause you played varsity last year or the year before that. show me something you did in the off season to make you better than the next girl wanting to play your spot. IF YOU ASK NOTHING OF ME, YOU GET NOTHING FROM ME!

Coach Myers gets some of what Coach Anderson had last year. Coach Anderson has gotten what the rec league and middle schools have gave him. Could that be the problem? Not to offend, but the feeder programs need to get more involved with these high schools in Hawkins Co. to groom the upcoming players for the next level. I don't think that is happening. Why couldn't you ask the high school varsity coach what they need to learn before getting to his level? Other schools do it. It's not lack of interest ,cause the stands at Volunteer are full, but don't let it be for the wrong reasons like to see D.B. to play our LADY VOLUNTEER FALCONS.

Evidently you have been around the girl's basketball program for a while also.

I agree with everything you said, but am confused on a couple of things. At first you question who should be on floor with veterans and later you ask why veterans should expect to play just because they played last year. I agree that each season is new and each position should be earned again. I think the reason is that for years we have barely been able to put a team on the floor and anybody that tried out made the team. So when next season rolled around those that did not graduate or quit automatically became starters. That is what girls and parents are used to and expect. So Meyers has a touchy situation to handle. He has the veterans and their parents expecting girls to play without earning a spot and younger players that can out perform them. I also noticed none of the girls you complimented were veterans. I agree with you on McFarland, Huddle, Lindholm and O'Dell. I think the new girl is Walker (a Senior). McFarland is a good ball handler, knows basketball, does not panick, has great shooting range and is developing quickly, Huddle is a great ball handler, knows basketball, does not panick, can shoot with both hands, and has great shooting range, Lindholm can handle the ball, has great shooting range and by mid season will develop into a great player. All three of them have a passion for basketball that is rarely found in girls and will do whatever it takes to win. I can remember watching Lindholm and Huddle practically having to be carried off court at Church Hill Middle because they were exhausted after gmaes. All three have worked hard in off season to improve and all play good defense. There is not a team in the big 9 that can put a better out front 3 combination on the floor. O'Dell is greatly improved, she actually boxes out and is an agressive rebounder. Walker can can play post and step out as wing and shoot. Both O'Dell and Walker have been getting a lot of playing time in scrimmages and would shore up post position. I believe if you put O'Dell, Walker, Huddle, Lindholm and Mc Farland as a team and the four veterans, including Drain if she was healthy and another player as a team the younger girls would easily beat the veterans 9 out of 10 times. I would not have these girls competing with each other for limited playing time with veterans. I would have them on the floor gaining experience and working together so we would be competive by mid season and building for next couple of years. The worst they could do is lose 2 more games than we did last year. Like someone said in earlier post new coach, new season, new starters. I do not want to sit through another season like the last 2 or 3 how about anyone else? Let's get this program going!

GO LADY FALCONS!!

Coach Anderson was a fine coach... Coach Myers is a good coach... In order for any program to be built up, it has to start with the feeder programs and the players have to work on their games year round: AAU, travel league, or work on their own! Feeder programs and rec leagues have to teach kids how to play defense: too many kids come to high school not knowing how to play man to man, or blocking out. The fundamentals aren't there any more in a lot of high school players...Good luck to Coach Myers and the falcons in the rebuilding process.

Evidently you have been around the girl's basketball program for a while also.

I agree with everything you said, but am confused on a couple of things. At first you question who should be on floor with veterans and later you ask why veterans should expect to play just because they played last year. I agree that each season is new and each position should be earned again. I think the reason is that for years we have barely been able to put a team on the floor and anybody that tried out made the team. So when next season rolled around those that did not graduate or quit automatically became starters. That is what girls and parents are used to and expect. So Meyers has a touchy situation to handle. He has the veterans and their parents expecting girls to play without earning a spot and younger players that can out perform them. I also noticed none of the girls you complimented were veterans. I agree with you on McFarland, Huddle, Lindholm and O'Dell. I think the new girl is Walker (a Senior). McFarland is a good ball handler, knows basketball, does not panick, has great shooting range and is developing quickly, Huddle is a great ball handler, knows basketball, does not panick, can shoot with both hands, and has great shooting range, Lindholm can handle the ball, has great shooting range and by mid season will develop into a great player. All three of them have a passion for basketball that is rarely found in girls and will do whatever it takes to win. I can remember watching Lindholm and Huddle practically having to be carried off court at Church Hill Middle because they were exhausted after gmaes. All three have worked hard in off season to improve and all play good defense. There is not a team in the big 9 that can put a better out front 3 combination on the floor. O'Dell is greatly improved, she actually boxes out and is an agressive rebounder. Walker can can play post and step out as wing and shoot. Both O'Dell and Walker have been getting a lot of playing time in scrimmages and would shore up post position. I believe if you put O'Dell, Walker, Huddle, Lindholm and Mc Farland as a team and the four veterans, including Drain if she was healthy and another player as a team the younger girls would easily beat the veterans 9 out of 10 times. I would not have these girls competing with each other for limited playing time with veterans. I would have them on the floor gaining experience and working together so we would be competive by mid season and building for next couple of years. The worst they could do is lose 2 more games than we did last year. Like someone said in earlier post new coach, new season, new starters. I do not want to sit through another season like the last 2 or 3 how about anyone else? Let's get this program going!

GO LADY FALCONS!!

No,just a new comer. Read the local papers alot,catch a game when i can and love to watch and play basketball.

On the outside looking in (OUTKAST). I always favor the underdogs for some reason, strange.

I see what you mean now because you mentioned that is what parents expect. They have to stay out of the coaches ear and be more supportive of the player (there kid) and the playerS (everyone else that is apart of that team). It seems like more than a touchy situation. Coach Myers doesn't look easily influenced, especially with that record of his in Va. So lets everyone leave him alone and let him do his job. Doesn't He have to be chosen by a panel? Maybe he is the right man for the job, Hawkins Co. give him a chance.

So you think the younger kids would give the veterans a run for their money? It's possible and has happened. I hope they find the right combination quickly. Never take the love of basketball out of a good players heart by letting them ride the pine. Mix it up a little ,see what works It couldn't hurt, but don't force it then it hurts you.

Coach Anderson was a fine coach... Coach Myers is a good coach... In order for any program to be built up, it has to start with the feeder programs and the players have to work on their games year round: AAU, travel league, or work on their own! Feeder programs and rec leagues have to teach kids how to play defense: too many kids come to high school not knowing how to play man to man, or blocking out. The fundamentals aren't there any more in a lot of high school players...Good luck to Coach Myers and the falcons in the rebuilding process.

You are right it has to start at the bottom and each player has to work on their own to improve. Myers now has some palyers that Anderson did not have that have good fundementals both offense and defense and work hard to improve. From what I hear they are a strong addition to Falcons and should see a lot of playing time. Myers should be able to put several combinations on floor that can produce. Falcons will be better this year! Anyone know how they did at scrimmages this weekend?