Player of the year

chasanooga

Oh Bluesky....I agree with what you said except Clair is the strongest defender I have seen or noticed, but I was trying to play along and post a positive comment.

Maybe this thread should have been who impressed you this year from a different team? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Kris, Clair, Emily....All I know is I would hate to have to pick The player of the year.

MVM - You watched Clair play most every game I would guess and that makes your belief in her understandable because you have seen her at her best and on occassions where she might have been average. Her equals on other teams, you have seen once, twice or not at all. Perhaps when you saw them, they did not have their best day due to injury, illness or whatever. I had not seen the D2 teams play this year but have heard many good things about their defenders. So I do not feel able to declare one player or another to be the best. However, I do respect your strong feelings for your team's players.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MVM - You watched Clair play most every game I would guess and that makes your belief in her understandable because you have seen her at her best and on occassions where she might have been average. Her equals on other teams, you have seen once, twice or not at all. Perhaps when you saw them, they did not have their best day due to injury, illness or whatever. I had not seen the D2 teams play this year but have heard many good things about their defenders. So I do not feel able to declare one player or another to be the best. However, I do respect your strong feelings for your team's players.

While it is true I have watched Clair all year long do a fantastic job....I have also watched Clair on her D1 club team and had the privilege of catching her on the U-17 ODP team. She has an overall soccer resume that only a few in Chattanooga can match. And while I admit I think the world of her and her abilities .....apparently with her resume I'm not alone.

And To be fair... Kris Cambron also has such a resume.

While it is true I have watched Clair all year long do a fantastic job....I have also watched Clair on her D1 club team and had the privilege of catching her on the U-17 ODP team. She has an overall soccer resume that only a few in Chattanooga can match. And while I admit I think the world of her and her abilities .....apparently with her resume I'm not alone.

And To be fair... Kris Cambron also has such a resume.

This raises an interesting question. Should the recognition be on the player's 2008 high school season or should it look at past accomplishments and resume as well?

This raises an interesting question. Should the recognition be on the player's 2008 high school season or should it look at past accomplishments and resume as well?

Yes it should, but it seems that every year when people talk about the All-State honors, one or more of the players is somebody who was out injured much of the season, and wasn't that much of a factor this past year, but is a senior. Therefore, I think some people get recognized for the body or work rather than just their current season.

Just a thought....High School Ball is a world different than Club ball. I don't think there would be any argument there. As such, and especially after reading these posts for years, most high school players don't have the ability to play club for one or more of reasons. As such, it would only seem that those who are voting have seen the available players in their high school season, not all of them in club. Furthermore, if a large percentage cannot play club, it goes without saying about ODP.

Please don't misunderstand what I am sharing is the way I wish it to be, I am just adding these thoughts. The reason I provided this is that I can name likely 5 players that decided to never play ODP as they did not wish to become tied up in the political mess that it is and several other players that didn't arrive into the club scene until late in their soccer careers and that makes them no less a soccer player or worthy of an award. If you are looking at their senior year of soccer, that will be THIS year and that season has not started. I am sure many of you have been through this with other children but this year won't be the same soccer you are accustomed to watching....trust me.

Just a thought....High School Ball is a world different than Club ball. I don't think there would be any argument there. As such, and especially after reading these posts for years, most high school players don't have the ability to play club for one or more of reasons. As such, it would only seem that those who are voting have seen the available players in their high school season, not all of them in club. Furthermore, if a large percentage cannot play club, it goes without saying about ODP.

I agree that there are a number of high school soccer players that don't play club soccer, for a variety of reasons, including:

1. $$$$

2. Distance. It's not practical or possible for some people to commute huge distances in some cases to play on a club team

3. Other sports. Some very strong high school players are two- or three- sport athletes. Their primary sport is basketball or softball or whatever, and they are just such natural athletes that they pick up and play soccer too.

4. Burn-out on club. I'm aware of several very good athletes that got burned out on the club side of soccer, but stuck with high school ball

5. Probably more reasons that I can't think of at the moment.

On the offensive side of the ball, I would give Baylor and Soddy Daisy top nods with siegel and Bearden coming close. Each showed depth of bench, good strategic understanding and great foot skills.

I would agree that Baylor was definitely an offensive powerhouse, but Soddy Daisy and Siegel both seemed to be stronger defensively. Very few goals allowed by either team all season.

With the exception of a very unique first year player, ie. leading scorer on the team, it is hard for me to think that tenure should not be part of the process. A girl starts every game and plays every minute for three or four years has earned recognition even if she's not a superstar. She has been a major contributor. But, just like club and ODP, there's politics in HS as well. Since I don't think I have ever seen second team honors in the West, even less players get recognized and much less opportunity for a tenured, quality player. In my experience, I question more why some get picked as opposed to why some don't.

I would agree that Baylor was definitely an offensive powerhouse, but Soddy Daisy and Siegel both seemed to be stronger defensively. Very few goals allowed by either team all season.

I haven't looked at Siegel's schedule, but Soddy's schedule, while good, wasn't as strong at Baylor's. Baylor allowed only 9 goals all season, 2 versus Siegel, 1 versus Ensworth, 1 versus Hutcheson, 1 versus Notre Dame, 2 versus JPII, and 2 versus Father Ryan. Siegel allowed 14 goals spread among 10 different teams (including 4 goals to Baylor). Soddy allowed 7 goals, 1 versus Riverdale (twice), 1 versus Notre Dame, 1 vs. Cleveland, 1 versus Rhea County, and 2 versus Cleveland.

As far as Baylor's Offensive powerhouse comment, Baylor never ran the score up on anybody (no pink card's), so they only scored 50 total goals over 19 games.

I would term Baylor a well balanced team, that probably would have beaten Father Ryan (and perhaps won state as well) 2 times out of 3. This is from a non Baylor parent too....