Speaking of working hard

I know there has been much discussion on here about how hard the 1A (public and private) schools work. Some say that a lot of these schools that are successful work harder and practice more than the others. Others say that their teams work just as hard. I was just wondering for those of you who have said that your school works just as hard as the more succesful ones (and you know who you are)...if your quarterbacks are getting up and coming to school early each morning to workout before school starts each day. What say ye?

The silence of this thread speaks volumes. At present, there have been over 40 views of this post and yet not one single whiner can step up and say our QB`s show up before school to work out. It`s so easy to say..."Hey our kids work hard too". But I don`t see anyone responding to the post. Could it be that the 5 or 6 good programs in private schools from 1A really do work harder? C`mon...I`m giving you guys another chance to speak up. Do the QB`s from your school workout before school starts each morning? That`s a simple yes or no question. Either they do or don`t.

I`ll be back later. Right now I`m going to meet my JCM Cougars!! CYA :rolleyes::o

This just shows how little you understand about the public school scene! I'm not going to try to explain it to you because I don't think you will understand! My son, who is now at West Point, ran 5-6 miles a day, worked 14-21 hours a week, and maintained straight A's while attending a

public school, but there was only two other boys on a team of about 75 that worked that hard. In a public school you can either "RUN THEM OFF" or "LET THEM PLAY." I try to find a balance in the middle. You push and push to the point of breaking them, then you ease back on the reigns just a little. Let me put it this way... IF I HAD THREE THAT WORKED AS HARD AS MY OLDEST SON DID ON THE TEAM I HAVE NOW, we would win two or three times as many games. Most kids simply aren't willing to put in those hours! PRIVATE SCHOOLS HAVE MORE KIDS AND PARENTS WHO ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD TO ACHIEVE GOALS! Many public school kids have to be dragged kicking and screaming through the difficult times... that is why I say there is a huge difference between the two types of schools.

I dare say you will not see that type of dedication from even the DIVISION I Blue Chip athletes (most of them don't have to work that hard)! It doesn't matter what type of school you have... if you athletes who dedicate themselves like that to their sport, you can win... most of these small

schools don't have that type of athletes. Most of these boys just don't have that type of aptitude. I sure wish they did! It would make my job much easier. I have always said, "I would rather have heart than talent," but I could win a lot more games with talent! :rolleyes:

[Edited by ELA on 8-20-02 7:46P]

Ela,

Congratulations on your son being at West Point!!!!!!! He sounds like he is the type of individual the service academies are looking for. Does he plan on participating in varsity athletics?

You are right when you say that there is a big difference between public school athletes and private school athletes. The main difference is not the kids but the parents. Most parents of private school students want excellence in everything from the education to athletics. This attitude translates into a group of disciplined and self motivated kids that overcheive both in the classroom and on the athletic fields. I really think that you will find more great athletes in the public schools, but many of them just lack discipline, parental guidance, and self motivation. It must be quite frustrating for you to see the raw talent and not be able to get the kids to work hard to acheive team and individual goals.

Posted by cbg:

Ela,

Congratulations on your son being at West Point!!!!!!! He sounds like he is the type of individual the service academies are looking for. Does he plan on participating in varsity athletics?

You are right when you say that there is a big difference between public school athletes and private school athletes. The main difference is not the kids but the parents. Most parents of private school students want excellence in everything from the education to athletics. This attitude translates into a group of disciplined and self motivated kids that overcheive both in the classroom and on the athletic fields. I really think that you will find more great athletes in the public schools, but many of them just lack discipline, parental guidance, and self motivation. It must be quite frustrating for you to see the raw talent and not be able to get the kids to work hard to acheive team and individual goals.

CBG... my son is the starting QB on the SPRINT FOOTBALL TEAM at ARMY.

You have a great grasp of the problem! Everything you said is correct! Most schools have a core of really good parents, but most private schools have greater support and more control over their kids! A prime example is on parent/teacher conference day at a public school. The only parents you see in the course of four hours are the parents of the kids who are on the honor roll! If more parents would get involved in their children's education, our jobs as coaches and teachers would be much easier! In public education, we wear a lot of other hats, including social worker! ;)

ELA why do you think the kids and parents do not take an active involvement in terms of athletics. We all agree that those that work the hardest succeed in football, perhaps that delves into other aspects. I don't have an statistics but I am willing to say that the divorce rate for kids at public schools are much higher then those of kids at private schools. You admit that private kids and parents work harder, if they are private we can assume they make enough money to send their kids to nice schools...does anyone else think this is just luck, or possibly a direct correlation.

Posted by ELA:

PRIVATE SCHOOLS HAVE MORE KIDS AND PARENTS WHO ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD TO ACHIEVE GOALS! Many public school kids have to be dragged kicking and screaming through the difficult times... that is why I say there is a huge difference between the two types of schools.

I dare say you will not see that type of dedication from even the DIVISION I Blue Chip athletes (most of them don't have to work that hard)! It doesn't matter what type of school you have... if you athletes who dedicate themselves like that to their sport, you can win... most of these small

schools don't have that type of athletes. Most of these boys just don't have that type of aptitude. I sure wish they did! It would make my job much easier. I have always said, "I would rather have heart than talent," but I could win a lot more games with talent! ;)

[Edited by ELA on 8-20-02 7:46P]

Ela...thanks for making my point. When it comes to debate on here as to why some (and please note that I said "some")of the private schools do well, many times I`ve seen people suggest that they work just work harder. Every time someone says that though, one of the whiners will come right back and say that their school works every bit as hard. And I`d say that there are some 1A public schools that do work just as hard. But in the end it is hard work that proves to be the success of a team whether they are public or private. Just because a school is a private school, doesn`t mean it translates into a good football team. There are much more mediocre to weak private schools than there are good ones. But because there are a few who really work hard at everyone wants to whine about it. If you can get a decently athletic QB to really put his time in during the offseason to fine tuning his game, then you can make him into a pretty productive QB. However, if the kid happened to go to a private school and did all the extra work and became a productive QB, then everyone justs wants to sit back and say..."Oh look! They just get all the athletes" In reality no one wants to say..."Wow you should have seen all the time this kid put into working, and throwing and lifting during the offseason."

You admitted yourself that you could win two to three times more games if you had 3 kids that worked as hard as your son. If they did, then we`d call them overachievers or hardworkers. However, when a private school gets the same type of effort from a few or more kids and do well, then everyone wants to label them as "athletes" and talk about how unfair it is for these private schools to have all these "athletes". LIke I`ve said before some schools just work harder at it. ELA...I`m not talking about your school in particular, but when one school`s QB`s are eating Captain Crunch and another school`s QB`s are already at their school working out, who would you expect to do better when it comes time to play???

I have always stated that private schools have more dual parent homes who take a more active role in their kids lives and as a result of this they have hard working athletes who excel both in the classroom and on the field. The difference is you DON'T have to work around kids who hold down jobs, come from poverty, special education students, students who can't afford to buy anything, or go to specialized summer camps! Areas that simply don't have access to talent pools where there are many great athletes. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW HARD A KID WORKS, IF HE DOESN'T HAVE SOME ABILITIES, HE WILL NOT BE A BIG FACTOR IN THE GAME. My argument has always been and will always be that the ABC schools near Nashville have access to more talented players than any rural schools that they compete against. That is what makes the difference. There are more people living in a single square mile of almost any Metro community than there are in my county! EVERY PRO, COLLEGE, and HIGH SCHOOL COACH IN AMERICA will tell you, "It is impossible to win without talent." If you have some good, hard working kids with a good NEW ENGLAND work ethic, you can fill in the holes or gaps on your team, but you still need two or three guys who are the REAL DEAL!

There is no doubt that enterprising young men who go way beyond the call of duty become impact players on their teams, but in most schools, public or private, these kids are one in a million. You can't coach that ethic, a kid either develops it over time or it just doesn't exist. I have known of only a handful of those type players in my lifetime. The problem with your argument is reverse logic. If you can find two or three state champion teams that were loaded with the typical REAL athletic type that doesn't even do the minimum work out and still wins because of his abilities, your argument is mute. I spent two years in college doing LOGIC statements in philosophy classes and it fits in this debate.

Give me a team with three or four athletes and I'll beat your team full of average players who work 75 hours a week! If a team has to practice more than 9-10 hours a week during season, something is wrong. Studies suggest that players don't retain much beyond a two hour practice, and a good coach can crunch enough drills within that time frame to get the job done.