what happened GCA?

wiltthestilt

did you all not have enough pull in Nashville,to get the kids from KCS to play with you all this year,News sentinel reported you all were denied a basketball co-op with KCS, its a shame amos will not get to finish his career at KCS,good kid and good baller.good luck amos,tough luck GCA. always looking for a way to get better without hard work.dream teams are just that dreams.......

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you all not have enough pull in Nashville,to get the kids from KCS to play with you all this year,News sentinel reported you all were denied a basketball co-op with KCS, its a shame amos will not get to finish his career at KCS,good kid and good baller.good luck amos,tough luck GCA. always looking for a way to get better without hard work.dream teams are just that dreams.......

Hey 'skippy', it isn't about GCA, it's about 4 kids and one in particular that does not get to play basketball. Amos is a great kid and it is a shame that he cannot finish his senoir season and career on the court. He has played at KCS since grade school and he (they) would love to finish out at KCS but a drastic enrollment drop has hampered that. None of that is their fault. He has played football at Grace all 4 years through the co-op program. Yes it would be nice to have him on the basketball team as well as this would have been the most logical move but like I said you need to look at the big picture instead of bashing Grace. I wished that he could simply play somewhere EVEN IF IT IS NOT GCA.......understand, that's the big picture so quit being so close minded and think of these kids instead of being a member of the GCA bashing band. GROW UP!!

Hey 'skippy', it isn't about GCA, it's about 4 kids and one in particular that does not get to play basketball. Amos is a great kid and it is a shame that he cannot finish his senoir season and career on the court. He has played at KCS since grade school and he (they) would love to finish out at KCS but a drastic enrollment drop has hampered that. None of that is their fault. He has played football at Grace all 4 years through the co-op program. Yes it would be nice to have him on the basketball team as well as this would have been the most logical move but like I said you need to look at the big picture instead of bashing Grace. I wished that he could simply play somewhere EVEN IF IT IS NOT GCA.......understand, that's the big picture so quit being so close minded and think of these kids instead of being a member of the GCA bashing band. GROW UP!!

Amos is a very good basketball player and football player. You're right it is a shame that he want be able to play his senior year. Wish him all the luck..

Here's the thing.... if the kid wants to play then he should be attending GCA. Co-oping should NOT be allowed. It's not every other school in your districts fault that KCS had an enrollment drop. You're the one that needs to look at the big picture... skippy's right it would be a dream team for you and a nightmare for the rest of us. Also doesn't Amos' dad work for KCS? Didn't he see this coming? I don't think it's GCA bashing just stating the facts if anyone needs to grow up it's you. Why can't GCA see that they bring this stuff on themselves?

Grow up, well that is if you are an adult, GCA had nothing to do with it except agreeing to allow these boys to play if TSSAA approved it. The KCS came to Grace and asked about it, because these kids wanted to play their last year. I am sure if they had come to your school you would have said NO is that right SKIPPY?????

Grow up, well that is if you are an adult, GCA had nothing to do with it except agreeing to allow these boys to play if TSSAA approved it. The KCS came to Grace and asked about it, because these kids wanted to play their last year. I am sure if they had come to your school you would have said NO is that right SKIPPY?????

first off let me state i am a coach and have no affiliations with anything near east tn. I think something is wrong if a school doesnt have a team in a sport and kids can not play at another school. I mean recruiting is one thing but if a school doesnt have a sport then ISNT IT ONLY FAIR THAT A KID BE ALLOWED TO PLAY SOMEWHERE. I know Madison Academic kids play football at JCM in jackson. But the kids at Bradford (who does not have a football team) arent allowed to play at Gibson Co. or one of the other area schools. Just seems like the TSSAA is not anywhere near fair about what they allow some schools to do and others to not. EX: why is it players in Memphis can transfer schools anytime and be eligable to play w/o sitting out a year???? Every year you hear of kids moving to diff schools in basketball w/o moving into the schools zoned area.

Basically I feel its a shame that the TSSAA is denying kids a chance to finish playing over something the kids themselves have no control over!

Now if there is some info being left out as to specifics of the situation please enlighten us all and maybe my opinion on this particular case will change. Was there evidence of recruiting violations or other infractions? Why did the KCA school not have a team anymore... if the school is still open and they still have enough boys why would they not have a team even if enrollment in down a lot?

Skippy,

You obviously have a bone to pick with GCA. As you can tell from my screen name I also support a local private school. I was one of the first to post that I didn't see how legally they could co-op and bring in basketball players. Not fair I agree 100%. It is unfortunate for those young men but they chose to attend KCS when it was on shakey ground. They brought in several players over the last few years just for basketball purposes. They couldn't sustain the program which is not a fault of the players. Going private to private is tough but would they be eligible if they immediately transferred to the public where they are zoned?

My problem with your statement that they don't work hard is where I have an issue. I'm coaching the Knoxville Thunderbolts an ABA professional basketball team that is practicing and playing at Grace in our inaugural season. These kids work VERY HARD (and I'm not a fan of GCA for several reasons that are immaterial). We wrapped up practice last night about 10:00 and Cameron Pridemore was there to do a shooting workout when we finished. I've seen how hard they were working in an open gym session prior to our practice. Maybe they recruit but so do alot of other schools but don't say they haven't worked hard to get where they are. Several of these guys are busting their tail to get better and I applaud them for that. To say they aren't/don't work hard is FAR from the truth. How many of your kids were in the gym last night for the second time 3-4 hours aftet their school practice ended? My bet is 0.

first off let me state i am a coach and have no affiliations with anything near east tn. I think something is wrong if a school doesnt have a team in a sport and kids can not play at another school. I mean recruiting is one thing but if a school doesnt have a sport then ISNT IT ONLY FAIR THAT A KID BE ALLOWED TO PLAY SOMEWHERE. I know Madison Academic kids play football at JCM in jackson. But the kids at Bradford (who does not have a football team) arent allowed to play at Gibson Co. or one of the other area schools. Just seems like the TSSAA is not anywhere near fair about what they allow some schools to do and others to not. EX: why is it players in Memphis can transfer schools anytime and be eligable to play w/o sitting out a year???? Every year you hear of kids moving to diff schools in basketball w/o moving into the schools zoned area.

Basically I feel its a shame that the TSSAA is denying kids a chance to finish playing over something the kids themselves have no control over!

Now if there is some info being left out as to specifics of the situation please enlighten us all and maybe my opinion on this particular case will change. Was there evidence of recruiting violations or other infractions? Why did the KCA school not have a team anymore... if the school is still open and they still have enough boys why would they not have a team even if enrollment in down a lot?

I think the problem is made worse by the fact these kids are already playing football for Grace in a co-op deal since KCS has never had a football team. According to the paper, there were only 6 boys in the school. They have had several boys transfer to the school over the past few years specifically to play basketball. I would like to think that if they had tried to go the co-op route earlier it may have worked. I think from a local standpoint, Grace has angered a lot of people with football "recruiting" transfers and running up the score in big wins and the fact that they are already returning the nucleus of a team that went to the state tourney in bball last year. People were complaining that it was a case of the rich getting richer so to speak.

listen: amos is a great kid he should have the opportunity to play his final year, would not ever push a post at a kid he has done what he is supposed to every season ,suit up and bring it,and he does that, all those kids do so dont turn it on them,i am just tired of hearing about all the kids that just magically appear at grace every year,if he wants to play bad enough he can, he just has to move like every other kid. the circumstances are terrible but what do you do ,this was no way aimed at the kids.

Skippy,

You obviously have a bone to pick with GCA. As you can tell from my screen name I also support a local private school. I was one of the first to post that I didn't see how legally they could co-op and bring in basketball players. Not fair I agree 100%. It is unfortunate for those young men but they chose to attend KCS when it was on shakey ground. They brought in several players over the last few years just for basketball purposes. They couldn't sustain the program which is not a fault of the players. Going private to private is tough but would they be eligible if they immediately transferred to the public where they are zoned?

My problem with your statement that they don't work hard is where I have an issue. I'm coaching the Knoxville Thunderbolts an ABA professional basketball team that is practicing and playing at Grace in our inaugural season. These kids work VERY HARD (and I'm not a fan of GCA for several reasons that are immaterial). We wrapped up practice last night about 10:00 and Cameron Pridemore was there to do a shooting workout when we finished. I've seen how hard they were working in an open gym session prior to our practice. Maybe they recruit but so do alot of other schools but don't say they haven't worked hard to get where they are. Several of these guys are busting their tail to get better and I applaud them for that. To say they aren't/don't work hard is FAR from the truth. How many of your kids were in the gym last night for the second time 3-4 hours aftet their school practice ended? My bet is 0.

Ibb, you are right my statement was a little lop sided, you can tell those boys work very hard,they accomplished what alot of us would like to accomplish,it was meant different than posted my apologies to the gca athletes.

• 3 weeks later...

Grace does work hard and oh ya dreams do sometimes come true if you know what I mean.