LA's New District

LA_Wildcats

I'm far from trying to hang a season on imcoming freshman but they'll bring the winning attitude that has been lost over the last three seasons. I'm sure they'll be pushing the upperclassmen to get better everyday in the weight room and practice.

I totally agree. And there is nothing in the rule books about freshman playing in their first season. In my opinion, if the freshman is better then he should be on the field. Granted if you are playing a bunch of freshman there isn't a good chance of winning but the experience is very valueable. I believe that some of the seniors on the state championship team were playing a lot as freshman.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where in the world have you been 66wildcat? This 8th grade class is gonna be a good one no doubt. I heard Jolley wasn't going to play...Was going to concentrate on golf. He is good at that too. Any truth to it?

Hey, Big Daddy. I just saw where Wilson Cates was named as one of the team captians at Princeton this year. How big is that? That might overshadow your and my accomplishments combined /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Hey, Big Daddy. I just saw where Wilson Cates was named as one of the team captians at Princeton this year. How big is that? That might overshadow your and my accomplishments combined /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Might being the key word! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I read that last night...I thought that was awesome for that young man. Just goes to show what kind of leader that he is! Congratulations to Captain Cates! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 1 month later...

Might being the key word! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I read that last night...I thought that was awesome for that young man. Just goes to show what kind of leader that he is! Congratulations to Captain Cates! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Talking about freshmen contributing, Cates stepped in for LA as a freshman and never missed a beat. I know that after we, Smith County, first saw him play, we knew we had our hands full for the next three years. Add the material you folks had while he was in school, you were a load to beat. When you guys played for the "Gold Ball" he had a tremendous game. I'm just glad he has moved on and doing great and we don't have to prepare for him again.

Talking about freshmen contributing, Cates stepped in for LA as a freshman and never missed a beat. I know that after we, Smith County, first saw him play, we knew we had our hands full for the next three years. Add the material you folks had while he was in school, you were a load to beat. When you guys played for the "Gold Ball" he had a tremendous game. I'm just glad he has moved on and doing great and we don't have to prepare for him again.

A Wilson Cates doesn't come along everyday in these parts. He is missed and I think the community is proud of his achievements he has accomplised at Princeton. He contributed there pretty much from the get go as well. Definately a special talent. HEART of a lion (or rather Wildcat) lol.

There is a good freshman class IMO coming in this year who can help LA this fall. I hope our seniors and other returning players are getting ready for the upcoming season. That first game will be here before you know it. I just pulled this thread back up to see whats going on.

Exactly how many seniors does LA have this year.... I can remember a few years ago when everyone was saying this upcoming senior class would be the next to do anything at LA.... I just hope this group of kids can put a dent in turning the Livingston program around.....

Not exactly sure. I think they are committed in turning it around. That is the key in what it will take for this program. Committment. If every player is committed to the program, and believes no matter what, they will make something happen.

Have the teams not been committed the last three years??

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good question Termite but I would venture to say it's been the talent. As far as the coaching, I can't speak for that. I would like to believe that the coaching has been better than 3-27. I think any of the three coaches that we have had since Eldridge are capable of doing the job. It's just hard to turn it around in a year and so far that's the longest anyone has stayed until now. Lack of leadership has obviously been a problem too. In 2005 we had a special player in Cates. He was a great football player but his leadership was what got us the State title. In my opinion that has been what was lacking the most the last couple of years. I'm not expecting a big difference this year IF someone doesn't step up and take on the leadership role. If someone does step up then I think you could see flashes of the great LA teams of the past. I liked what you said earlier about LA LOOKING like a football team in warm ups because my experience of being around some of the players was that was the only thing they were worried about(Some not all), looking like a football player. Looking like a football player and being a real football player are 2 very different things. I real football player could care less about what their uniform or cleats or helmets or wrist bands(i could go on and on) look like. My hopes are that the real football players are still there and the posers have moved on or quit. I am very anxious to see what the 09 season will bring. I want to see the big blue back on top.

And to answer the last part of your question. Average talent and great coaching. Prime example Tennessee Titans.

Much more prime example--Smith County Owls!