Warren County Lady Pioneers

14pioneers

After years of reading the Warren County posts in every sport and a parent of athletes in the programs, I decided to shed some light on the current situation as a PARENT who knows what's going on and not as a spectator looking from the outside. I've never posted on any website of any kind and decided to join here and hopefully as a group we can make WC a contender in all sports and not be the laughing stock of the region.

It seems the biggest concern continues to be the girls basketball program which has continued to deteriorate under the current system. Are coaches to blame? I don't know, as my daughter has played in this system for some time and we have never left it to the coaches to teach her. As a coach myself, you only have so much time and if the only work you get is in practice, you're only fooling yourself. I agree the won loss record is not very good, as a matter of fact, it is bad. The player potential has been average at best with a few above average players either quitting outright or going to other programs in an effort not to play for Coach Eades. I personally have had no problem with the coach but I know there is a numerous amount of parents and players that despise her coaching methods, in particular the way she treats the players. If in the future I have a problem with any coach, I will address it face to face with that coach and will post it here for all to see so there will be no question as to what was said.

As far as players, as someone said in an earlier post, "one will make you forget about another"-- that is ridiculous to say and think and could have only come from someone who has a grudge against another player. There is no place for this garbage and I would rather not see it in this setting. Sounds like someone from the middle school trying to promote one of their players. There are more players on the current roster from the county than the middle school, but who cares where they're from. I'm interested in results. It seems the thing to do in Warren County is to find a good athlete and see how fast we can tear them down. It's sad to see this and it used to not be this way.

Now to the players: I've watched and have been a part of this program for a long time and it is my opinion as well as every other parent and fan I've spoken with that this current group and the players coming up give Warren County the best opportunity in years to be a very good team. The three Freshman on the Varsity team are excellent players and can compliment each other's game. They all have excellent ball handling abilities, a good shot from inside and outside and one has enormous size and speed which is an uncommon trait. There also is a few good players on the Freshman team that will contribute also. Combine these with the players coming back next year and some leadership from the Juniors and Seniors to be and things should get exciting. My question is will the coaching staff make the right moves and decisions and let the girls play? What they are doing now is not gonna fly much longer. Too complicated, too much confusion and no rebounding! You can't win if you can't rebound, period. You also have to hit free throws and make the 'gimme" layups. That is coaching and it has to get better.

Someone made the comment earlier that the coaching would never change. I wouldn't be so fast to say that as I know of a lot of influential people in the community who are making moves right now for change if this current group of players start heading down the wrong path. There are also some parents who played for Warren County in the past and had lots of success and they want to see their child have the same experience. They have made sure that eveyone involved in the decision making is paying attention. They have also gone so far as to involve the media in the event they need to have more visible support, and I'm not talking about the Standard.

As for the college thing, there are only 3 coaches in the current system who have helped, or should I say have made an effort to aggressively promote their athletes with college coaches and they are Todd Willmore, David Upton and Franklin Fisher. The rest of them are lost when it comes to this. I went through it in football and have heard horror stories from college coaches on how they feel about Warren County girls basketball. As for the ones you listed that have played in college, for most of them it was done by the parents. If you have trouble believing this call the head coaches at MTSU, TN Tech, Motlow, Vanderbilt and the recruiting coordinator for UT. They don't even bother making a call anymore and that is sad. In my opinion, if a coach doesn't pursue the best college options for their players, or even worse blocks college recruiters from having access to the player; that is the same as stealing.

Unfortunately we are living in a win at all cost society and I don't think winning is the end all for Warren County. I do think our coaches should be held accountable for how well their teams perform in their respective sport. They should be evaluated at the end of every season and goals should be put in place for the upcoming season. (I've yet to hear any of my kids come home with a goal of any kind for the upcoming game, much less the season.) If the athletic director, or principal or whoever's in charge doesn't see the progress made acceptable, changes should be made. That's the way it is at every other school and that's the way it is in life. I know someone's gonna come back with the same old, " but you don't understand, we're all related here and the Principal is tight with the superintendent and the athletic director is the basketball coaches brother"--- so what. Maybe then it's time to come together and overthrow the entire administration. There is never a reason to put your personal interest ahead of what's best for the school and more importantly the student athlete.

I look forward to the seasons ahead and am cheering hard for WC.

WOW !!!!! Welcome to the T "pioneerparent" On a side note, the game is on tonight between Warren and White County.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brooke bowman is a good shooter at times, but they don't have any outstanding players

coach eades has been there long enough with nothin to show from it.

I agree she is an excellent shooter and player and a better person. A very good kid!

Something to think about, are any of the players in the program better going out as they were when they got there?

I agree she is an excellent shooter and player and a better person. A very good kid!

Something to think about, are any of the players in the program better going out as they were when they got there?

Parent, WC is a great place to bring up a family. MANY people from all over the state are from WC and interested in where they were born, there. They look in to this site and laugh with the wins and are concerned when the County is not on top. Such is athletics. Stay in there, keep the efforts up and glad to see you on CoachT. There are some great people in that County.

"pioneerparent" , I appreciate your previous post concerning the Lady Pioneer Basketball team, but I will say this, If you do have a conversation with the coach, I DON'T want to read about it here on the T. Don't get me wrong , I do not think the Lady Pioneer program is in good hands, but what is said between a parent and coach should not be aired out for the piblic to read. And, if you know anything about Coach Eades, you really don't want to confront her on how she needs to run her program, she will take it out on your daughter. As far as our defense goes, the biggest problem I see in them is they don't get back on defense. She has too many players trying to rebound. Whoever is left at the top of the key must stay back for run-outs. Watch tonight's game and see how many easy baskets White County will get because we have no one back. I look forward to more of your posts.

"pioneerparent" , I appreciate your previous post concerning the Lady Pioneer Basketball team, but I will say this, If you do have a conversation with the coach, I DON'T want to read about it here on the T. Don't get me wrong , I do not think the Lady Pioneer program is in good hands, but what is said between a parent and coach should not be aired out for the piblic to read. And, if you know anything about Coach Eades, you really don't want to confront her on how she needs to run her program, she will take it out on your daughter. As far as our defense goes, the biggest problem I see in them is they don't get back on defense. She has too many players trying to rebound. Whoever is left at the top of the key must stay back for run-outs. Watch tonight's game and see how many easy baskets White County will get because we have no one back. I look forward to more of your posts.

It is not my intention to tell anything on Coach T about any coach unless I see it on a post that something has been said that is incorrect. I am talking about any situation with a coach from any sport, not just girls basketball. A lot of rumors have flown around over the years about conversations that simply aren't true.

As for tonights game-- I'm sick to my stomach. We had a girl get hurt which is terrible enough and I hope she makes it back soon. Coaching-- what coaching-- I for once heard more talk around me and in the lobby than I've ever heard about what in the world is going on? What is she trying to do? In my opinion she threw in the towel in the 3rd period and we were only behind by 7 at the time. This is becoming a joke.

After years of reading the Warren County posts in every sport and a parent of athletes in the programs, I decided to shed some light on the current situation as a PARENT who knows what's going on and not as a spectator looking from the outside. I've never posted on any website of any kind and decided to join here and hopefully as a group we can make WC a contender in all sports and not be the laughing stock of the region.

It seems the biggest concern continues to be the girls basketball program which has continued to deteriorate under the current system. Are coaches to blame? I don't know, as my daughter has played in this system for some time and we have never left it to the coaches to teach her. As a coach myself, you only have so much time and if the only work you get is in practice, you're only fooling yourself. I agree the won loss record is not very good, as a matter of fact, it is bad. The player potential has been average at best with a few above average players either quitting outright or going to other programs in an effort not to play for Coach Eades. I personally have had no problem with the coach but I know there is a numerous amount of parents and players that despise her coaching methods, in particular the way she treats the players. If in the future I have a problem with any coach, I will address it face to face with that coach and will post it here for all to see so there will be no question as to what was said.

As far as players, as someone said in an earlier post, "one will make you forget about another"-- that is ridiculous to say and think and could have only come from someone who has a grudge against another player. There is no place for this garbage and I would rather not see it in this setting. Sounds like someone from the middle school trying to promote one of their players. There are more players on the current roster from the county than the middle school, but who cares where they're from. I'm interested in results. It seems the thing to do in Warren County is to find a good athlete and see how fast we can tear them down. It's sad to see this and it used to not be this way.

Now to the players: I've watched and have been a part of this program for a long time and it is my opinion as well as every other parent and fan I've spoken with that this current group and the players coming up give Warren County the best opportunity in years to be a very good team. The three Freshman on the Varsity team are excellent players and can compliment each other's game. They all have excellent ball handling abilities, a good shot from inside and outside and one has enormous size and speed which is an uncommon trait. There also is a few good players on the Freshman team that will contribute also. Combine these with the players coming back next year and some leadership from the Juniors and Seniors to be and things should get exciting. My question is will the coaching staff make the right moves and decisions and let the girls play? What they are doing now is not gonna fly much longer. Too complicated, too much confusion and no rebounding! You can't win if you can't rebound, period. You also have to hit free throws and make the 'gimme" layups. That is coaching and it has to get better.

Someone made the comment earlier that the coaching would never change. I wouldn't be so fast to say that as I know of a lot of influential people in the community who are making moves right now for change if this current group of players start heading down the wrong path. There are also some parents who played for Warren County in the past and had lots of success and they want to see their child have the same experience. They have made sure that eveyone involved in the decision making is paying attention. They have also gone so far as to involve the media in the event they need to have more visible support, and I'm not talking about the Standard.

As for the college thing, there are only 3 coaches in the current system who have helped, or should I say have made an effort to aggressively promote their athletes with college coaches and they are Todd Willmore, David Upton and Franklin Fisher. The rest of them are lost when it comes to this. I went through it in football and have heard horror stories from college coaches on how they feel about Warren County girls basketball. As for the ones you listed that have played in college, for most of them it was done by the parents. If you have trouble believing this call the head coaches at MTSU, TN Tech, Motlow, Vanderbilt and the recruiting coordinator for UT. They don't even bother making a call anymore and that is sad. In my opinion, if a coach doesn't pursue the best college options for their players, or even worse blocks college recruiters from having access to the player; that is the same as stealing.

Unfortunately we are living in a win at all cost society and I don't think winning is the end all for Warren County. I do think our coaches should be held accountable for how well their teams perform in their respective sport. They should be evaluated at the end of every season and goals should be put in place for the upcoming season. (I've yet to hear any of my kids come home with a goal of any kind for the upcoming game, much less the season.) If the athletic director, or principal or whoever's in charge doesn't see the progress made acceptable, changes should be made. That's the way it is at every other school and that's the way it is in life. I know someone's gonna come back with the same old, " but you don't understand, we're all related here and the Principal is tight with the superintendent and the athletic director is the basketball coaches brother"--- so what. Maybe then it's time to come together and overthrow the entire administration. There is never a reason to put your personal interest ahead of what's best for the school and more importantly the student athlete.

I look forward to the seasons ahead and am cheering hard for WC.

I am sorry you feel that way about my comments maybe i used the wrong word. I was replying to the other comments and felt like there was to much talk about one player in a team sport. I do agree that the wilkinson girl is going to be a great player but not there yet, just like some of her teammates thats all. I agree that the coaching situation has to get better but some of the players need to work hard on their games this summer. I hope everything works out good luck go WC

I am sorry you feel that way about my comments maybe i used the wrong word. I was replying to the other comments and felt like there was to much talk about one player in a team sport. I do agree that the wilkinson girl is going to be a great player but not there yet, just like some of her teammates thats all. I agree that the coaching situation has to get better but some of the players need to work hard on their games this summer. I hope everything works out good luck go WC

While the Wilkinson girl is indeed a talent, she has a lot of catching up to do, mainly because of the level of competition she played at during her grade school years. Had she been at the middle school since the 5th or 6th grade she would have been exposed more to a true basketball environment concerning her level of competion. Knowledge of moving without the basketball and being exposed to trapping defenses can only be learned by playing against them. I am sure she will be a fast learner and will be a much more polished player by next year.

I hope the Bowman girl is recovering fast and I hope all her tests come back positive. We will not resemble a team without her, she is absolutely invaluable breaking the press and scoring the basket.

While the Wilkinson girl is indeed a talent, she has a lot of catching up to do, mainly because of the level of competition she played at during her grade school years. Had she been at the middle school since the 5th or 6th grade she would have been exposed more to a true basketball environment concerning her level of competion. Knowledge of moving without the basketball and being exposed to trapping defenses can only be learned by playing against them. I am sure she will be a fast learner and will be a much more polished player by next year.

I hope the Bowman girl is recovering fast and I hope all her tests come back positive. We will not resemble a team without her, she is absolutely invaluable breaking the press and scoring the basket.

That is the problem for sure. the high school system is not taught at the elementary school level, the HS coaches are not involved in the elementary system at all. They can hardly find coaches to take the jobs at that level, or so they say. Every program I've ever known that had consistent success had a strong elementary system that was used as a feeder system to prepare kids for the next level.