Probation for Memphis Private

Dragonmaster

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of hard to define what recruiting is, isn't it? Especially when someone from a private school, which often provide better educations than public school, says to a parent--hey, have you ever thought your daughter might want to come to ____________ school to get a quality education and play ball? Is that recruiting? The kid still has to get into the school, since most have some entrance requirements. I think now there is more financial aid for those who can't afford to pay the large tuition bill, so it makes it more feasible. Even in public school districts, parents move their kids around for different reasons--sometimes it's sports, sometimes it's academics, sometimes it's safety. Shoot, some parents pick up their whole household and move to very different places just to have their kid go to a particular school (can anybody say "Shelbyville"), and then move back to where they came from when their kid graduates. Is that recruiting? Or is it just choice? Or is it "if you build it they will come" like Shelbyville. Is this wrong? Aren't parents just doing what they think is best for their kid? I will admit I think it's stupid for parents to do this with their kid just for athletics, but probably some parents think some of the things I do are stupid, so I can't say my way is always right. By the way, I don't have any kids in private schools, so I'm not trying to defend them. I can't afford the tuition bill anyway, and even if I could get financial aid for my kids there are lots of things I think are valuable in a public school education. But that's beside the point. So I just wonder, what is defined as "recruiting" and what are the parts that are illegal about it that would make a school get put on probation?