Probation for Memphis Private

Dragonmaster

In practical terms, what does "probation" mean for a program? Are they barred from participating in any season activities?

You might look up the terms in the TSSAA handbook. I would think that the main thing would be the embarassment of it happening. Many times it might be oversights but the following are things mentioned.

1) probation of Individual Sport in a program is a fine of $500 annually

2) Probation of a total Athletic program is $1000 annually

3) Restrictive Probation of Indivual Sport is removal of Tournament fine and $1000 annually

4) Restrictive probation of Total Athletic program is Removal of Tournament STATus and $2000 fine

5) Suspension of an Individual Sport participation or Total Athletic program.

It's in the book and looks as if it depends on severity.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kind of hard to define what recruiting is, isn't it? Especially when someone from a private school, which often provide better educations than public school, says to a parent--hey, have you ever thought your daughter might want to come to ____________ school to get a quality education and play ball? Is that recruiting? The kid still has to get into the school, since most have some entrance requirements. I think now there is more financial aid for those who can't afford to pay the large tuition bill, so it makes it more feasible. Even in public school districts, parents move their kids around for different reasons--sometimes it's sports, sometimes it's academics, sometimes it's safety. Shoot, some parents pick up their whole household and move to very different places just to have their kid go to a particular school (can anybody say "Shelbyville"), and then move back to where they came from when their kid graduates. Is that recruiting? Or is it just choice? Or is it "if you build it they will come" like Shelbyville. Is this wrong? Aren't parents just doing what they think is best for their kid? I will admit I think it's stupid for parents to do this with their kid just for athletics, but probably some parents think some of the things I do are stupid, so I can't say my way is always right. By the way, I don't have any kids in private schools, so I'm not trying to defend them. I can't afford the tuition bill anyway, and even if I could get financial aid for my kids there are lots of things I think are valuable in a public school education. But that's beside the point. So I just wonder, what is defined as "recruiting" and what are the parts that are illegal about it that would make a school get put on probation?

A couple of stats reported recently on the networks. A full 33% of public school teachers send their own children to private schools. This is higher than the average of non teacher parents children that attend private schools. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

A couple of stats reported recently on the networks. A full 33% of public school teachers send their own children to private schools. This is higher than the average of non teacher parents children that attend private schools. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Does that mean this school didn't violate a rule?

Being a public school educator and having been a private school educator, but more importantly a tax payer, I think that if a school is not good enough for your child to attend and you teach there, then that means you yourself are a not quality teacher and shouldn't be in education. I understand that sometimes religious aspects come into play for student's families, but if a district allows teachers to bring their child to the school where they teach then they should be there instead of at a private school...The important thing is to remember that Public schools and Private schools do not serve the same clientele. This is simple fact and would be an argument for a voucher system.

Being a public school educator and having been a private school educator, but more importantly a tax payer, I think that if a school is not good enough for your child to attend and you teach there, then that means you yourself are a not quality teacher and shouldn't be in education. I understand that sometimes religious aspects come into play for student's families, but if a district allows teachers to bring their child to the school where they teach then they should be there instead of at a private school...The important thing is to remember that Public schools and Private schools do not serve the same clientele. This is simple fact and would be an argument for a voucher system.

By your response and stating that if you are a teacher and your child does not attend the school you teach at means you are not a good teacher, is about the most simplistic explanation I have ever heard or read on Coach T. You just left a dozen or more valid reasons for that not being true. If you are an example of public school teachers, then enough said. But since I know you aren't, your statement is silly. You stated that you understand religious aspects come into play, but if a district allows a student to attend where their parents teach, then they should be there. It is obvious you do not understand what you say you do or you would not have made some of the statements you made. It is obvious in the state of Tennessee that the public school system is in dire need of reform. It ranks approximately 46 out of fifty, inexcusable. I also am a taxpayer and sent all my children to private schools and would not even consider anything else, but not just for the superior education, etc, there are other more personal reasons that I don't believe you gave enough credit for. As to whether I am a teacher or not, that would have absolutely nothing to do with my choice of public or private. You could be the greatest teacher in the world and still be powerless in the public school system. I believe that is why 33% of them send their children to private schools. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Ps I personally am glad that you are a former private school educator.

Does that mean this school didn't violate a rule?

That would depend on what you consider violating a rule. If they gave financial aid to a particular student or students that is out of the norm or the need of that student because of athletics, then in my mind that is inappropriate. Div II gives financial aid, so nothing unusual about that. If alumni bought the family a house, gave a job, etc, unethical in my opinion, but what can you do. My response implies nothing toward any school as this thread was started on rumor. If someone starts a thread on a public school recruiting by bending zoning rules or just flat lying to get a player eligible, you hardly create any interest. But whenever a private school even has a rumor started about it or it is proven, man the posts start flying. Why is that? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Im not aware of Knox Webb ever being cited for cheating or put on probation. Would you care to elaborate?

Knox Webb may be as clean of cheating as Spic and Span, but just because you don't get caught does not mean you are not guilty as we all know. I believe they probably do run a good and correct program. Their school is certainly impressive. Father Ryan can make the same claim to the best of my knowledge. We have not been as fortunate as Webb to have an athlete such as Glory Johnson attend Ryan in a number of years if ever which further indicates we are not a recruiting factory. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I believe that I heard yesterday that a Memphis Private power has recieved probation for a year for recruiting.

Has anyone else got info.

Briarcrest is a power in what sport during the last five or six years. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Where do your stats come from?

BD, you didn't answer the question but I don't think you would know because you don't keep up with things like those and not expected to. But it is a valid question and leads to motivation which you would be interested in. The situation at KC is another recent situation on this site which was strange but caused KC to wind up with a record less than they earned. While this is a public school, this was a situation that was openly discussed and started as a rumor that was not true however the results were true. Comparisons between Private and Public violations are hard to compare but the main question is were they violations and the answer was obvious and people make mistakes and they likely will again and be in violation. Don't know what the answer above was to. My confidence, though, in the networks is pretty low if it is Television.

On probation: Briarcrest??™s girls basketball team has been placed on probation for violation of the recruiting rule, Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association assistant director Mathew Gillespie confirmed.

The probation lasts the entire school year but does not affect Briarcrest??™s postseason eligibility, but the school was fined $500.

On probation: Briarcrest??™s girls basketball team has been placed on probation for violation of the recruiting rule, Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association assistant director Mathew Gillespie confirmed.

The probation lasts the entire school year but does not affect Briarcrest??™s postseason eligibility, but the school was fined $500.

That's not good but likely something minor with a wakeup call. Even could be an oversight. Really don't like rumors leaking but if they are leaked, it does deserve some explanation. There is even not any loss of games with ineligible player. Hope this stops posts on this matter.