Springfield Jackets

B52Bomber

BUT........it looks like we are going to settle again. The counties best athletes and worst record. Its ashamed.

We could and should contend for region titles and advance into the playoffs. Instead we cant score, cant stop anyone, cant kick and cant do anything that even resembles winning.

Oh for the 80's again. People used to fear Springfield, now they schedule us for homecoming.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may know what he is doing, but I feel what we need is a proven commodity. Someone who has been there, done that on the high school level. If we dont fix whatever it is that is broke now, we may never. My take would be a complete new staff, up pay or whatever it takes to get them, improve facilities like Portland has. I dont see any reason why we should not be one of the elite programs in the state. THATS what we need, a proven program builder, with a plan, with experience, with the proven know how.

You obviously care about Springfield football as much as I do and as an aspiring coach myself I would love to coach there but really want the program back on track more than any personal endevers. I personally know Dustin Wilson as I stated earlier and I would feel very good about the future of the program if he did indeed get the job. As far as what is broke, I can tell you that, "DISCIPLINE", which is 1 more reason why I would like Coach Wilson to get the job b/c he is a stickler when it comes to that. The 2nd reason that comes to mind is that I know he cares about the Springfield football program. I do get what you are saying and believe that it is 1 path towards what we both dearly want but I just do not feel that it would be the only way. Having said all that, I ultimately just want the program to recover and reach its potentual regardless of how it gets there.....

BUT........it looks like we are going to settle again. The counties best athletes and worst record. Its ashamed.

We could and should contend for region titles and advance into the playoffs. Instead we cant score, cant stop anyone, cant kick and cant do anything that even resembles winning.

Oh for the 80's again. People used to fear Springfield, now they schedule us for homecoming.

I couldnt have said it better myself; it really makes me sick at my stomach. I cant even go to a game and watch them play b/c I hate to see those kids have to go through that when everybody knows that they are better then that. I have even been going to watch JBS play the last few years b/c hey have been winning in the play-offs.....

I couldnt have said it better myself; it really makes me sick at my stomach. I cant even go to a game and watch thm play b/c I hate to see those kids have to go through that when everybody knows that they are better then that. I have even been going to watch JBS play the last few years b/c hey have been winning in the play-offs.....

I tell you something else we desperately need.........the big wigs to put thier money where thier mouth is!. Our facilities are below average as well as the number of assistant coaches we have. I go to White House or even Greenbriar and they have at least 6-9 guys really coaching. I go to our games and we have 3, maybe 4, and then a couple of guys standing there doing nothing. It we are going to get this thing going again.........we will have to invest in quality EVERYTHING! Times have changed but we have not changed with them. We have over 1000 kids and then put 45-50 on the field. WE NEED A MOTIVATOR!!

I agree. I like Holman and he does well with the middle school but I doubt he could ever keep a high school program in control at Springfield. (I've heard from some of the coaches that this is one of the big problems that they face.

Coach Holman was my HS coach,and I respect him a lot,but HS players would be OUT OF CONTROL under him.

Coach Holman was my HS coach,and I respect him a lot,but HS players would be OUT OF CONTROL under him.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That's kind of how I've always seen him. He "coaches" and the players just do their thing and "out athlete" the opponent.

I think most everyone agrees with you guys on that one. I don??™t think this needs to turn into a witch hunt, but I do think that WHOEVER is hired needs to have input if not control over both of the Middle school feeder programs. That is a wasted commodity that Springfield has had for years. No carry over from the Jr. High to the High School program. Also, if discipline is lax until the kids get into high school........it will certainly be much harder to change after the kids have never been reigned in. Also, this points back to my answer on hiring Jr. High coaches at this critical time in our schools history. On the Jr. High level, you CAN just out athlete people. On the high school level that is not always true. Case in point.......Greenbrier just down the road routinely wins with lesser what most would call "athletes" but because they are well disciplined, managed to succeed. The reverse is also true here in Springfield. We routinely, not always, but mostly, have better athletes than many we play.........but we are never in the right place, constantly quitting the team or never playing to start with due to not having to be accountable to the high school level, poor grades.....etc..........and we routinely get beat!

A good coach, a good program, cooperation with the feeder schools, more support from the people who can support.........all those things are necessary to provide the turnaround we all want and EXPECT!

Everyone on here is quick to point fingers, when in 2006 just 2 years ago Springfield won that region posting a 9-1 record and went to the playoffs.. Coach Offutt is trying to the best with what he has. In 2006 he had a lot of talent and they won, in 2008 he didn't and they lost. Coaches are only as good as the players they coaching period. So you could bring Vince Lombardi back from the dead and coach Springfield and if they don't have the players to win they won't. I also agree with the ones that say that the coach needs more assistant coaches the more eyes you can have on the field the better.(as long as they are loyal to the head coach) I dont think Offut is doing anything different that he did in 2006 then he is doing now. So Springfield "FANS" better watch out before you lose a good coach.

I dont think anyone is down on coach Offutt. My understanding is he is about to go into administration and if he does the job will be open. Everyone including myself really respects and loves Coach O. That is not the issue. If you were offended I am sorry........that was not intended. I think this thread is more about the entire Springfield athletic situation in general. We are WAY behind the times and now would be a good time to catch up......if that opportunity presents itself.

Yea I agree Sumner Co is way ahead of Roberson Co. Sumner Co provides fields, stadiums, indoor facilities, and weight rooms for there teams. Roberson co does not care about athletics they do not do anything for any of there schools and it shows. I think it is time for the county to step up and help do there part in getting athletics up par in the county. That goes along in attracting new coaches to the area. Hope they figure this out before it gets to bad.