Question for Football Referees!

FridayMainEvent

If a kickoff hits the returner who is standing on the 5 yard line in the chest, bounces off, then rolls in the endzone, what's the ruling? This happened Friday night. The kid ran back, retrieved the ball and ran it out only to get tackled on the 10 yard line.

After the play was over the zebras huddled together and ruled it a touch back and gave the receiving team the ball on the 20 yard line. Was the ball alive in the endzone and could the kickoff team recover it for a TD, or was the ball dead as soon as it crossed the goal line even though it was touched by a returner at the 5??

I'm puzzled by this rule even if they ruled it correctly. What is to prevent a returner from seeing he made a bad decision to return a kick and flip it back in the endzone to get it on the 20?? Seems like this rule needs to be examined if those officials made the correct call. Input would be appreciated..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a kickoff hits the returner who is standing on the 5 yard line in the chest, bounces off, then rolls in the endzone, what's the ruling? This happened Friday night. The kid ran back, retrieved the ball and ran it out only to get tackled on the 10 yard line.

After the play was over the zebras huddled together and ruled it a touch back and gave the receiving team the ball on the 20 yard line. Was the ball alive in the endzone and could the kickoff team recover it for a TD, or was the ball dead as soon as it crossed the goal line even though it was touched by a returner at the 5??

I'm puzzled by this rule even if they ruled it correctly. What is to prevent a returner from seeing he made a bad decision to return a kick and flip it back in the endzone to get it on the 20?? Seems like this rule needs to be examined if those officials made the correct call. Input would be appreciated..

In the first scenario, the momentum of the kick sent the ball into the endzone, therefore it is a deadball and a touchback.

The second scenario you describe would be a post possession lateral and would be a live ball.

In the first scenario, the momentum of the kick sent the ball into the endzone, therefore it is a deadball and a touchback.

The second scenario you describe would be a post possession lateral and would be a live ball.

Thanks, you answered my next question by stating the "momentum of the kick" in your response. I was going to ask what would prevent a return team member from knocking a ball through the endzone that had come to rest on the 1 yard line. Thanks.

Thanks, you answered my next question by stating the "momentum of the kick" in your response. I was going to ask what would prevent a return team member from knocking a ball through the endzone that had come to rest on the 1 yard line. Thanks.

I believe this would result in a half the distance penalty for illegal batting of the ball and the return team would have 1st and 10 from the half yard line.

If the "live" batted ball goes out of the endzone, then I agree.

What happens if the kicking team recovers the "live" batted ball in the endzone? Touchdown kicking team?

If I understood correctly, it becomes a "dead ball" the moment it crosses the goal line, but I also would like some verification on that. These high school rules can be tricky when you are used to watching college ball for 30 years...LOL