BA vs MUS

singlewing

BA is physical, very large, athletic, strong, and fast...they have not played to their potential in at least 2 games this year (Ravenwood and Ryan), but again, I believe the team is starting to come together and buy in to Coach Potter's philosophy and system...that just takes time. I am excited to see the game...the last team we played was supported by several fans that were extremely confident in the outcome of the game, but that's why they play the game!

MUS has faced physical, very large, athletic, strong & fast teams before, this season. Therefore, I do not think that BA is going to present MUS with anything that MUS hasn't already dealt with.....SUCCESSFULLY!

--------------------------------------------------------------

There have been several comments concerning BA hitting its stride, finally gelling, etc. Well, the same could be said of MUS: A team simply does not run the table in as convincing a manner as did MUS, without great coaching, confidence, excellent execution and great teamwork.

Bottom Line: Brentwood Academy is going to have its hands full, Tuesday. It's gonna take a super effort on their part, to deafeat this MUS team:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MUS must be butter, cause they're definetly on a roll!

...sorry, I just couldn't resist! Ok, Ok, Ok -- I know....I'll definitely keep my day job!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget about comparing the score with BGA and MBA. In my opinion the variables are too great for that to matter. The reason I will have to pick against my beloved Eagles is the QB disparity. MUS has the type of QB that will be tough for BA to handle (I watched the video). I do not think we will stop MUS. It is just a matter of MUS stopping us. Which, mainly, involves stopping the run and forcing us out of our comfort zone.

No argument here, but using the 2 muffed punts example, it just stands to reason that 5-6 turnovers played a factor in the MBA/MUS game. Any team that turns the ball over 5-6 times is going to get "whooped". I think had the shoe been on the other foot MBA would have beaten MUS had MUS coughed the ball up 5-6 times.

I think BA is the underdog...BA has overcome a lot of things off the field that are a factor in their record...most any person familar with with Md Tn HS FB would have bet the farm in preseason that BA would be in the state title game.

Unfortunately, they didn't get it done...however, the talent that led to the preseason hype is still there, and they are finally gelling as a team...MUS should be confident, they have earned it...but I would hold off on calling the game over before it's played...it's going to be close, and very physical.

BA is physical, very large, athletic, strong, and fast...they have not played to their potential in at least 2 games this year (Ravenwood and Ryan), but again, I believe the team is starting to come together and buy in to Coach Potter's philosophy and system...that just takes time. I am excited to see the game...the last team we played was supported by several fans that were extremely confident in the outcome of the game, but that's why they play the game!

I went to the BA/Ensworth game and I really expected the BA defensive line to slow down the Ensworth running game, and that didn't happen. Darkwa had over 100 yards on only 14 carries, that is over 7 yds/carry. Jefferson ran all over them, and he was running on a bum ankle. When MBA played BA they couldn't run the ball but they passed effectively. The passing game got MBA first downs inside the 5 twice, and they settled for field goals both times. My point is that a good running team was able to run on BA, and a good passing team was able to throw it. I think MUS is both, and I am guessing that BA will be in for a long night, in what could be a high scoring affair.

Forget about comparing the score with BGA and MBA. In my opinion the variables are too great for that to matter. The reason I will have to pick against my beloved Eagles is the QB disparity. MUS has the type of QB that will be tough for BA to handle (I watched the video). I do not think we will stop MUS. It is just a matter of MUS stopping us. Which, mainly, involves stopping the run and forcing us out of our comfort zone.

MUS has excelled at stopping the run, all season long. They have been vulnerable to the pass, however.

I went to the BA/Ensworth game and I really expected the BA defensive line to slow down the Ensworth running game, and that didn't happen. Darkwa had over 100 yards on only 14 carries, that is over 7 yds/carry. Jefferson ran all over them, and he was running on a bum ankle. When MBA played BA they couldn't run the ball but they passed effectively. The passing game got MBA first downs inside the 5 twice, and they settled for field goals both times. My point is that a good running team was able to run on BA, and a good passing team was able to throw it. I think MUS is both, and I am guessing that BA will be in for a long night, in what could be a high scoring affair.

Excellent points, BigRedDad.

You're talking matchups. Matchups. Matchups. Matchups!

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's funny how, at the end of the day, something as simple and subtle as matchups... how this often heavily dictates the outcome of a football game.

It would appear that BA's team simply does not matchup as well vs this MUS team. Therefore, this game has all the makings of being somewhat one-sided. I'm not saying "blowout;" I'm just suggesting that MUS' team would appear to have an inherent & rather distinct advantage over BA's team.

.....that's why they play the game, though.

Excellent points, BigRedDad.

You're talking matchups. Matchups. Matchups. Matchups!

-------------------------------------------------------------

It's funny how, at the end of the day, something as simple and subtle as matchups... how this often heavily dictates the outcome of a football game.

It would appear that BA's team simply does not matchup as well vs this MUS team. Therefore, this game has all the makings of being somewhat one-sided. I'm not saying "blowout;" I'm just suggesting that MUS' team would appear to have an inherent & rather distinct advantage over BA's team.

.....that's why they play the game, though.

BigRedDad and I are going to get you over heated with excitement. Don't peak too early.

Seriously, BigRedDad called it exactly as I saw it, as well. I wish I could argue. Bottom line: BA is going to need some turnovers.

As a quick aside (in part because it may get lost on another thread), have MUS or BA established schedules for 2009 yet? I see a lot of DI schedules cropping up on the site, but no DII schools yet.

I always find it interesting to see who the DII schools schedule, partly to guage DI's interest (or lack thereof) in scheduling DII schools as well as to see what regional/national powers show up on the DII schedules. MUS has scheduled well in the past (Nease and Olive Branch recently), and BA has played at least one out-of-state team for 26 straight seasons.

As a quick aside (in part because it may get lost on another thread), have MUS or BA established schedules for 2009 yet? I see a lot of DI schedules cropping up on the site, but no DII schools yet.

I always find it interesting to see who the DII schools schedule, partly to guage DI's interest (or lack thereof) in scheduling DII schools as well as to see what regional/national powers show up on the DII schedules. MUS has scheduled well in the past (Nease and Olive Branch recently), and BA has played at least one out-of-state team for 26 straight seasons.

I haven't seen any schedules yet, but there was a rumor early on that MUS was going to play S. Panola in the Bridges Classic. I would have to say that's likely nothing more than a rumor, as that would go against the whole point of the Bridges games, which is Shelby County publics vs. privates. But wouldn't it be fun?

I haven't seen any schedules yet, but there was a rumor early on that MUS was going to play S. Panola in the Bridges Classic. I would have to say that's likely nothing more than a rumor, as that would go against the whole point of the Bridges games, which is Shelby County publics vs. privates. But wouldn't it be fun?

A home-and-home would not be out of the question. South Panola has played Tennessee schools previously (CBHS, who split with them about 13-14 years ago, Germantown and Trezevant more recently, etc.), and MUS certainly has shown a willingness to play top schools.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the DII schedules for 2009. You know it's not lip service when some of those schools say they are "in talks" with other top regional/national programs.

A home-and-home would not be out of the question. South Panola has played Tennessee schools previously (CBHS, who split with them about 13-14 years ago, Germantown and Trezevant more recently, etc.), and MUS certainly has shown a willingness to play top schools.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the DII schedules for 2009. You know it's not lip service when some of those schools say they are "in talks" with other top regional/national programs.

For what it's worth - So Panola is among the top 3 on ESPN's target list for big-time televised matchups in '09. "Open date" schedules for many of the nation's more recognized programs (which would incl. BA, MUS, MBA & Maryville if they would do it) may not flesh out until sometime in the spring. So Panola's new head coach is much more open to inter-state matchups than was the former coach. I expect you will begin to see them play an impressive slate of teams over the next 2-3 seasons. Unfortunately, our economy will have a huge negative impact on these scenarios because media dollars are absolutely necessary to cover expenses.

Anyway - back on topic - MUS vs. BA will be an excellent game, especially for the fans. You can expect lots of action and plenty of big-play opportunities on both sides of the ball (for both teams). You can throw BA's not-so-hot W-L record out the window because it is now a 1 game season & BA won't go out lying down. That said, I don't think BA will be able to keep it too close in the end. I see MUS over BA 34-21-ish. Best of luck & congrats to both teams!!! You have much to be proud of!!

I don't think a South Panola-MUS matchup is going to happen in the Bridges Kickoff Classic unless they do some rule bending. The reason any Mississippi or Arkansas team (West Memphis, who are usually pretty good) isn't in there is simple. Their seasons don't start for another week and they don't have a week 0 in place as TN does. There have been attempts in the past to schedule OB or South Panola but nothing has come to fruition yet. I am sure if there was a slice of the pie going to the MHSAA instead of just the school then that might convince them to allow one of their schools to play early.