CAK drops Webb from schedule

PowerSweep

Webb wanted to continue the series for two more years. CAK opted not to sign the deal. Too bad because it was a spirited rivalry. Instead, Webb has 7 region games and filled the non-region games with Catholic, Halls and Central.

I still wish CAK had decided to go DII A and played Webb in region games over the next 4 years in all sports and at the same time compete for State Championships in multiple sports.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a CAK fan, I really wish CAK kept the series going too. It was a fun series and I know the players at CAK always marked this game as one of the two biggest games of the year if not the biggest for some of them. But I think the reason they dropped Webb was probably due to their already tough region schedule next year. They have Alcoa, Loudon, and Kingston in their region next year. And only the top two are guaranteed a ticket to the playoffs. So if there is tie in region records then it would go to overall record. And CAK can't afford a lot of losses in non-region games. And the way Webb has dominated CAK the last two years I don't think Coach Bradley wanted to keep it going. Plus from the way Webb looked when we played them it looked like they had a lot of young talent. And CAK has some good talent next year especially on defense, but their offense will be young. But the reason I think CAK dropped Webb was they just can't afford any non-region losses.

All the more reason I had hoped they would have moved to DII A to maintain the rivalry and pit them against teams there own size.

As a CAK fan it seems pretty simple to me. Tell Webb to not play their scholarship kids and make it an even playing field and then we will play. Webb didn't dominate them this year. Webb has some athletes that CAK just doesn't have.

As a CAK fan it seems pretty simple to me. Tell Webb to not play their scholarship kids and make it an even playing field and then we will play. Webb didn't dominate them this year. Webb has some athletes that CAK just doesn't have.

Whatever, Webb is in DII because they offer need based financial aid to not only kids who play sports, but also academic, drama, art, music etc. Over the past few years, CAK has played with at least 5 kids that used to go to Webb. Last year arguably your best player was from Webb. I don't remember anyone from Webb complaining about those kids playing.

My point is, I believe CAK's AD has put them in a position to fail by not opting to go DII A where they could compete for championships in multiple sports. I'm going to miss the Webb vs CAK football games and I thought it was a natural rivalry given the schools are a quarter mile apart.

Whatever, Webb is in DII because they offer need based financial aid to not only kids who play sports, but also academic, drama, art, music etc. Over the past few years, CAK has played with at least 5 kids that used to go to Webb. Last year arguably your best player was from Webb. I don't remember anyone from Webb complaining about those kids playing.

My point is, I believe CAK's AD has put them in a position to fail by not opting to go DII A where they could compete for championships in multiple sports. I'm going to miss the Webb vs CAK football games and I thought it was a natural rivalry given the schools are a quarter mile apart.

Saying that Bennett was "from Webb" is dumb. The kids you are thinking about attended Webb as middle school students. Thats honestly like saying "Arguably your best player was from West Valley...". Sure, CAK may be "more competitive" in DII-A, but what is your idea of "competing for championships in multiple sports"? In the last 5 years, CAK has been to the state tournament in every sport except for baseball and girl's basketball. Last season in football, it was argued that if Alcoa wasnt around (and i understand thats a 900 pound gorilla if), CAK wouldve had a good shot at a state title. That's competitive if you ask me. Just like the Vols are showing us, every team goes through high points and goes through low points. Some of the athletic teams have been going through rough times lately but what teams dont?

I've got no problem with Webb or any other school for that matter giving financial aid to families that need it. Not all those students are athletes. Going DII would have been good for CAK athetically no doubt. I wouldn't even mind the traveling. I wish CAK could offer financial aid, but to do so would most likely require a tuition hike comparable to Webb. CAK is about $6000 a year less expensive than Webb and that is significant, especially if you have multiple kids in school. I for one can't afford a school as expensive as Webb, but CAK is affordable. Thus, I believe CAK has made an overall wise decision to remain D1. We probably won't become a 3A football powerhouse anytime soon, but I still believe CAK will be competitive with the larger schools. As far as dropping Webb, nice rivalry, but with the non-region games counting towards playoffs and with the region we are in, I don't believe CAK would be wise to keep Webb on the schedule. It would be a very tough win at best and an unneccessary loss at the least. No real gate money to speak of, just bragging rights for Dutchtown Rd. CAK needs to continue to build our young football program before we try to beat our chest and take on all comers. Webb made their decision in their best interest, I believe CAK has done the same.

Saying that Bennett was "from Webb" is dumb. The kids you are thinking about attended Webb as middle school students. Thats honestly like saying "Arguably your best player was from West Valley..."

You make some valid points and I except them but your analogy about West Valley doesn't hold water. Last time I checked West Valley kids have to change schools after 8th grade as they don't have a high school. The kids I'm talking about were at Webb in Middle School yes... but for any number of reasons they decided to leave Webb after Middle School and attend CAK.

I did hear that CAK lost a Middle School athlete to Webb this year so it does go both ways.

You make some valid points and I except them but your analogy about West Valley doesn't hold water. Last time I checked West Valley kids have to change schools after 8th grade as they don't have a high school. The kids I'm talking about were at Webb in Middle School yes... but for any number of reasons they decided to leave Webb after Middle School and attend CAK.

I did hear that CAK lost a Middle School athlete to Webb this year so it does go both ways.

I understand that but a middle school is a completely different environment than a high school and its not fair to say a kid is from somewhere when it was as a middle school student. My roommate, for example, was an all state receiver for CAK who just happened to attend Webb for 6th grade. I wouldnt say that he is "from Webb", you know what I mean?