Knoxville Area

HOOPSGURU

If I was coaching a high school basketball team in the East Tennessee area this year, my first pick would be Jay Reynolds of Maryville. The guy is 6-10 and could end up averaging in the neighborhood of 20 points, 10 boards and 5 blocks per game on a very good AAA team. He is devastating at the high school level on both ends of the court. He also is totally unselfish and a great student to boot.

When Norman Dale is giving props to player, you can put a lot of stock in it. He knows his high school talent. From the time I first saw big Jay in action--as a bitty league player who was already a foot taller than anyone else, through the huge impact he had on a AAA state championship team as a sophomore, through a far larger role last season, the improvement in this young man has just been phenomenal. I agree ND, he will be one of the huge impact players in the area this year.

As Skippy is absolutely right about Titlow. Even the best of players have off nights. I coached a team against him this summer in AAU. Thought we had the game under control at the half. He came out the second-half and pretty much took over the contest and led his team back to a victory. I was impressed. WB has Greenback on their schedule early this season and our young team will definitely have to figure out a way to account for Mykal--as well as the rest of this fine, experienced group of teammates he has and their savy, veteran coach, if we expect to compete with them.

One really good player I saw this summer--and I'm sure he's been mentioned but I don't recall his name--was the point guard for Anderson County. Incredibly quick, great penetrator, great shot creator. I believe he's a senior and a four year starter???

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sir, you are right about tonights game, i even went to talk to jerry about mykal because he just didnt look himself,undoubtly their was an accident monday night after practice on his way home,he didnt get hurt but he almost totalled his vehicle and they he was pretty upset over the ordeal,but to say this kid does not belong on the list of some of the best players in knoxville area you are wrong one game doesnt change that.I've seen this kid play aau and fall league he is a really good player.Greenback doesnt get region runner up,district runner up, substate birth without this kid,plays great defense and can score any where on the court,just ask gov-man and some of the area coaches that have coached or played against,this is just the third game,but after the way they played last night,not knowing his back ground i would have agreed with you,also when we needed the win who took over on defense and offense,i believe it was titlow who got us the lead with numerous blocks and steals in tne last five minutes,after that just let sabo hold the ball and get fouled.and these guys are going to be just fine got to get in sinc, only one practice with some of the football players back a little premature to bash yet,let them play some ball first.

Sorry to hear about the accident I'm glad no one got hurt. After reading your post I thought about what I had posted earlier. I would like to publicly apologize to Michael. You never know what these kids are going through whether it be an accident, death, home life issues, you just never know. And at the end of the day they are just kids. Greenback has a big game coming up next week againt Wartburg I hope Michael is back to him old self. Again, I apoligize. As you can tell by my screen name and past posts I am a Greenback fan and wish them only the best. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

sir, you are right about tonights game, i even went to talk to jerry about mykal because he just didnt look himself,undoubtly their was an accident monday night after practice on his way home,he didnt get hurt but he almost totalled his vehicle and they he was pretty upset over the ordeal,but to say this kid does not belong on the list of some of the best players in knoxville area you are wrong one game doesnt change that.I've seen this kid play aau and fall league he is a really good player.Greenback doesnt get region runner up,district runner up, substate birth without this kid,plays great defense and can score any where on the court,just ask gov-man and some of the area coaches that have coached or played against,this is just the third game,but after the way they played last night,not knowing his back ground i would have agreed with you,also when we needed the win who took over on defense and offense,i believe it was titlow who got us the lead with numerous blocks and steals in tne last five minutes,after that just let sabo hold the ball and get fouled.and these guys are going to be just fine got to get in sinc, only one practice with some of the football players back a little premature to bash yet,let them play some ball first.

Hey coachinhoops you coached this kid in the past... what's your opinion? I've seen him play a couple of times and I've always said LC lost a good one.

One really good player I saw this summer--and I'm sure he's been mentioned but I don't recall his name--was the point guard for Anderson County. Incredibly quick, great penetrator, great shot creator. I believe he's a senior and a four year starter???

Jordan Rorex is a four year starter at the point for AC. 4AA MVP last season and he his trying to get back from injury right now. He just signed a scholarship to play baseball at MTSU(SS or CF). I think he could play at a high level in basketball too. Great kid....

Titlow is a super kid...I haven't seen him play in over a year, but he had a tremendous upside. He was already strong, big, and athletic as a freshmen. His basketball skills hadn't quite caught up with his body when I last saw him play...If they have then he should be very dominant by now. I hope he is doing well. As for him being a top player in East Tennessee, I could not comment, because I have only seen a few of them.

dont forget about the titlow kid from greenback maybe a small school,but this kid is one of the best juniors around good size 6"4, 200lbs can jump out of the gym,turned greenback into a contender first year there as a sophmore.lead them to substate first time in 23 years.

One of the best juniors around is stretching it, not a bad player though and prob will make all district team.

I gave my top tier, then my next level, and here's the best of the rest:

Tyler Smith-- Union County

Caleb Bunch-- Wartburg

Tyler Clark, Tucker Trent-- Oak Ridge

Galen Campbell--Bearden

Tyler Cross--Anderson County

CJ Alred--Clinton

Cameron Langley--Maryville

Landry Hunley -- Farragut

Landry Stanton -- Carter

Andrew Hanson--Powell

Wesley Rather--Oliver Springs

Micah Ballard--William Blount

Dylan Powers-- Lenoir City

Reggie Garrett --Fulton

Mykhal Titlow--Greenback

Tyler Stepp--Jefferson County

Carlton Loque --Seymour

Ben Mixer--Farragut

Jake Sexton--Scott

I tend to agree with the majority of these (the ones i've heard of anyway) but Ben Mixer belongs in another thread on this forum. It would be titled "Overrated." If you've seen this behemoth play you'll wonder why he's not better. All the kid has to do is raise his arms and he can touch rim, yet he deems it necessary to put the ball on the floor every time (when he catches it, that is). He is in serious need of some coaching and some coordination because at his size there's no excuse for his sloppy play. Size does matter, but a shred of talent must accompany it.

I gave my top tier, then my next level, and here's the best of the rest:

Tyler Smith-- Union County

Caleb Bunch-- Wartburg

Tyler Clark, Tucker Trent-- Oak Ridge

Galen Campbell--Bearden

Tyler Cross--Anderson County

CJ Alred--Clinton

Cameron Langley--Maryville

Landry Hunley -- Farragut

Landry Stanton -- Carter

Andrew Hanson--Powell

Wesley Rather--Oliver Springs

Micah Ballard--William Blount

Dylan Powers-- Lenoir City

Reggie Garrett --Fulton

Mykhal Titlow--Greenback

Tyler Stepp--Jefferson County

I think you got to add Darien Stone from clinton and Rapheal Coffey from Oak ridge as well as Charjuan Hayes from Carter when he wants to play and Andrew Hansen might the most slept on player in his region

One of the best juniors around is stretching it, not a bad player though and prob will make all district team.

ram fan are all these guys idiots or do you just like to try to put kids down,these people have seen him play,aau and regular season he wouldnt be on their lists if he wasnt a very good ball player,last year as a sophomore he had a lot of great accomplishment,all district,alldistrict tournament team,led his team to twenty wins, first time in twenty three years this isnt grace recruiting academy this is greenback all that as a sophomore, even tied for leading scorer,also leading rebounder,plays really good defense(same stats against L.c. and w.b. AAA schools).

ram fan are all these guys idiots or do you just like to try to put kids down,these people have seen him play,aau and regular season he wouldnt be on their lists if he wasnt a very good ball player,last year as a sophomore he had a lot of great accomplishment,all district,alldistrict tournament team,led his team to twenty wins, first time in twenty three years this isnt grace recruiting academy this is greenback all that as a sophomore, even tied for leading scorer,also leading rebounder,plays really good defense(same stats against L.c. and w.b. AAA schools).

Man settle down, just my opinion and I dont think I am putting kids down because I dont agree with you. If you have any proof of recruiting please state it or please stop making false statements. I have asked for proof of so called recruiting before and have still yet to hear any.

Chill out on him Skippy. Being honest isn't putting a kid down. I've seen Titlow play for several years and to say he was one of the best juniors in the area is a stretch. He should dominate he is at Greenback playing single A ball (this isn't meant as an attack on single A). If you put Titlow up against better AA and AAA talent from area teams such as L.C., Maryville, AE, Stone, Farragut, and others he would have a decent showing but would not come close to dominating you say same stats against LC and WB, WB wasn't that good last year especially after Ballard went down, what were his stats against LC? Was most of his scoring and rebounding after the starters left the game? just curious.