DB v. MBA in week 0

Guest kingsportindian

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by grizzly55:

i'll predict mba winning handedly

No team will dominate. I say that MBA will be out of there element in upper East Tennessee. More fans, more noise, larger stadium, a 300 member band blasting the War Hoop over and over, much rowdier and louder fans will give DB the advantage by 7. I have seen MBA play in state chamionships and those games don't even have as much noise or as many people. Expect 12,000 to 14,000. Some people think that these things don't effect the best teams, but they (MBA) just have not seen a place like this. And yes I have been to the Father Ryan/MBA games and Brentwood Academy/MBA games DB is out for blood, trust me.

Posted by bud:
Posted by grizzly55:

i'll predict mba winning handedly

No team will dominate. I say that MBA will be out of there element in upper East Tennessee. More fans, more noise, larger stadium, a 300 member band blasting the War Hoop over and over, much rowdier and louder fans will give DB the advantage by 7. I have seen MBA play in state chamionships and those games don't even have as much noise or as many people. Expect 12,000 to 14,000. Some people think that these things don't effect the best teams, but they (MBA) just have not seen a place like this. And yes I have been to the Father Ryan/MBA games and Brentwood Academy/MBA games DB is out for blood, trust me.

I would agree with bud. This is not your everyday road trip for MBA. As far as 12K to 14K in attendance - really? Is that the norm, or is that figure more than usual? I would also think this is a special game for coach Clark after his interviews with MBA in the spring.

MBA had a decent preseason from what I hear and saw, but, they only played one preseason opponent (Riverdale) that I would think is comparable to DB.

How did DB do in its preseason? We all know about the Maryville scrimmage (how many posts did we see on that one?!), but how did it do in its others? Sight unseen, my guess is that DB will be its usual stingy self on defense. Offensively, I'm guessing the question is, how well will a new QB fill in the shoes for the departed Scott Butler?

Hopefully MBA is up to this big challenge.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-21-02 9:19P]

Are dim bulbs!

#19--Has anyone not beaten you deep? If a punt is blocked and it's 7 on one, don't trip over the one!

#14--Try lacrosse.

#32--On 4th and short at a yard stripe extend the ball over the line to prohibit a "homer" spot.

#87--Play pass defense if you aren't going to catch the ball and the defender has a chance to intercept--especially in their end zone.

L.Def.--#@*^*+

Totally unimaginative play calling, a bunch of zombies, poor tacklers, incredible lack of speed.

Posted by 64TNChamp:

Are dim bulbs!

#19--Has anyone not beaten you deep? If a punt is blocked and it's 7 on one, don't trip over the one!

#14--Try lacrosse.

#32--On 4th and short at a yard stripe extend the ball over the line to prohibit a "homer" spot.

#87--Play pass defense if you aren't going to catch the ball and the defender has a chance to intercept--especially in their end zone.

L.Def.--#@*^*+

Totally unimaginative play calling, a bunch of zombies, poor tacklers, incredible lack of speed.

64TNChamp, are you referring to DB or MBA? I assume DB since that's where you went to school. Those comments don't sound characteristic of DB players. Are you sure you're not sandbagging?

ScottyP24, you wouldn't happen to be an MBA player, would you? With that name, I am guessing "yes". As for me, if you are a student, then you wouldn't know me; I was in school at MBA before you were born. As I told Dom before, I'm just another MBA alum out there.

Dom, I saw your picks today for II-AAA. I had the same picks, except I had MBA and MUS reversed (MBA #3, MUS #4). MUS teams are hard to figure out: they are the only team in Super 7 play that has a non-losing (3-3) record versus MBA, yet it is the only school other than Baylor not to have a Super 7 championship game appearance. Also, unless I overlooked it, I didn't see Scott Pettus as a name to watch for MBA. Unless he's hurt, I think he will be a good WR for the Big Red.

Anyway, once again, great coverage of prep sports, Dom.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-22-02 1:40P]

Sandbagging - giving the impression that there are serious issues and gaps with the team when in reality those issues and gaps are not as bad as one makes them out to be. Lou Holtz is probably one of the more famous sandbaggers. I found this definition online for sandbagging as it relates to poker: "to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round".

My guess is that DB will still be a very tough opponent for MBA.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-22-02 3:16P]