2009 District 12AA

hsfbfan07

Is it the total size of the school or the number/% of the student population that plays?

While I agree that the larger schools have a chance of having larger numbers out for football, that is not the case at all schools.

Do we need a roster limit to equalize the teams?

I agree with you. Lewis County seems to be really upset about this new distict and I understand that when you look at the enrollment numbers it looks like a David and Goliath type of match up. But they really don't understand what football is like at Spring Hill, Page, Marshall County, and Giles County.

All of these teams from the old Region 5 have coaches that have been there three years or less. They are not established programs with a long history of winning. They don't have a great football tradition that keeps a ton of guys coming out for football. Marshall County has not had more than 10 seniors each of the two years Coach Thomas has been there. They still have good athletes that would rather play basketball which is less demanding on them. Giles County has had the same problem under their new coach. I think Page had less than forty players on their team and virtually no lineman. That had offensive tackles that weighed barely 200lbs. Spring Hill has just now got moving in the right direction... don't know if enough excitment has been created to get their numbers up.

I think Lewis County will dress as many players or more than all of these teams. Why? Because they have a more established coaching staff with a longer tradition of winning. Lewis County is still in real good shape no matter how much they try to pull the ole "Lou Holtz: we are so overmatched routine"!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. Lewis County seems to be really upset about this new distict and I understand that when you look at the enrollment numbers it looks like a David and Goliath type of match up. But they really don't understand what football is like at Spring Hill, Page, Marshall County, and Giles County.

All of these teams from the old Region 5 have coaches that have been there three years or less. They are not established programs with a long history of winning. They don't have a great football tradition that keeps a ton of guys coming out for football. Marshall County has not had more than 10 seniors each of the two years Coach Thomas has been there. They still have good athletes that would rather play basketball which is less demanding on them. Giles County has had the same problem under their new coach. I think Page had less than forty players on their team and virtually no lineman. That had offensive tackles that weighed barely 200lbs. Spring Hill has just now got moving in the right direction... don't know if enough excitment has been created to get their numbers up.

I think Lewis County will dress as many players or more than all of these teams. Why? Because they have a more established coaching staff with a longer tradition of winning. Lewis County is still in real good shape no matter how much they try to pull the ole "Lou Holtz: we are so overmatched routine"!

Lewis will dress out quite a few players. But the point isn't David vs. Goliath. They lost so many starters.....all district, players that played in the East vs. West all stars etc. They lack experience just about everywhere. Bad timing for the change. As stated in an earlier post, the past few years they had the experience to play with Giles etc. This year is an unknown. The have some players.......but they lack experience big time.

Have to agree with you though........the coaching is there which is a big plus. Tradition also. No won is saying they are overmatched by numbers. Experience is the key for them. Have to wait and see how they do in the spring and the first part of the season. Giles is just plain loaded this year. Don't know about the others, as told on the board, Marshall lost some key players, springhill returning so many seniors and Page.....hard to say. No one is crying about the schedule, least not the kids,they are motivatied and working hard. They know its a step up from previous years schedule. Lewis will represent itself well......regardless of wins and loses.....they will give all they have. The kids are excited about the new schedule and challenge it offers over the previous years. No "Lou Holtz" lines........just facts.

like you said springhill is returning 20 seniors and alot of them have game experience. they should be better than they have in recent years.

Marshall county lost their qb and all-region reciever/db and quite a bit more talent to graduation. They always have alot of talent so dont expect them to be a pushover or anything but i think they will be down.

Page on the other hand is going to be really down. they lost tons of 4 year starters including Neel and Lankford. they will have a tough road next year.

From what I hear, the backups for those players are doing very well and some saw some action last year and looked good. The biggest question mark will be the play of the new QB who, in my opinion, looks to be more accurate than Neel. The downside is he doesnt look like hes going to make many plays with his legs. From what I gather, the team is very optimistic and doesnt see these players graduating as much of a problem. I also hear that their players should come back in better shape as well.

From what I hear, the backups for those players are doing very well and some saw some action last year and looked good. The biggest question mark will be the play of the new QB who, in my opinion, looks to be more accurate than Neel. The downside is he doesnt look like hes going to make many plays with his legs. From what I gather, the team is very optimistic and doesnt see these players graduating as much of a problem. I also hear that their players should come back in better shape as well.

Appears what people are saying is true, that Springhill is on the upswing. Sounds like you have the core in place for a good season. The attitude good?

The players have to be getting excited with all the new teams they will play this year.

like you said springhill is returning 20 seniors and alot of them have game experience. they should be better than they have in recent years.

Marshall county lost their qb and all-region reciever/db and quite a bit more talent to graduation. They always have alot of talent so dont expect them to be a pushover or anything but i think they will be down.

Page on the other hand is going to be really down. they lost tons of 4 year starters including Neel and Lankford. they will have a tough road next year.

Small correction: Lankford was a 3 year starter. Josh McMurray started at RB Lankford's freshman yr.

Small correction: Lankford was a 3 year starter. Josh McMurray started at RB Lankford's freshman yr. And come to think of it, Neel was the only 4 yr starter this past season.

Oops! Should read closer. How many seniors you going to be starting with this coming year? I assume this is considered a rebuilding year for you now.

honestly id say "re-tooling" i dont think the fans will be disappointed but i do think the teams they play will be suprised. as for returning seniors i dont know an exact number. i can tell u the new QB will be ok. The backup for lankford(RB) looked good this year. The main loss was the Kicker/Punter J.Rion. Their defense will be stout and I know for a fact the returning starters will be much more conditioned than last year. They had a taste of the playoffs last year and I dont think theyre quite willing to give that up because they lose a few players...

honestly id say "re-tooling" i dont think the fans will be disappointed but i do think the teams they play will be suprised. as for returning seniors i dont know an exact number. i can tell u the new QB will be ok. The backup for lankford(RB) looked good this year. The main loss was the Kicker/Punter J.Rion. Their defense will be stout and I know for a fact the returning starters will be much more conditioned than last year. They had a taste of the playoffs last year and I dont think theyre quite willing to give that up because they lose a few players...

Good to hear, I know earlier there was some question on page with so many gone in graduation. It sounds like things are going to be okay. The playoffs can get kind of habit forming. The only ones in this new District that seems to have it in place now.......Giles, Marshall (number of atheletes) and Fairview (assuming they can get the coaching situation settled down). The rest are in a rebuilding mode such as Hickman and Lewis. Springhill should be in good shape just based on sheer numbers of seniors returning. Last year this district would have to have been considered one of the toughess from top to bottom. So many in the playoffs...Giles, Marshall, Page, Hickman, Lewis and Fairview. Not to bad of a District I would say. Glad things aren't looking so down for Page. New District should have some surprises in it this season. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Good luck on the "re-tooling". Keep em' working hard!

I would have to agree, last year Page had 15 senior of which only 10 or 11 of them I would consider true players, this year Page has a total of 10 seniors that are all true players, and a bunch of athletic hard nosed juniors that will make huge contributions to this years season. I too think some teams will be suprized

I would have to agree, last year Page had 15 senior of which only 10 or 11 of them I would consider true players, this year Page has a total of 10 seniors that are all true players, and a bunch of athletic hard nosed juniors that will make huge contributions to this years season. I too think some teams will be suprized

I think Fairview will be very good this year. I am not happy with the coaching hire but they have enough athletes that were coached up by the previous coach that they should be good. I will always support the players as for the Admin not so much. As for Page I have heard that they will be down and way down at that. I think that it is like the first game of the season and everyone start believing that there team really has a shot. I believe it is like that for Page. You can believe all you want but the talent and size is simply not there. You can't lose a Neel, Robbins, Lankford, etc. and expect to compete the next year. I hope they will since I am a big fan of Daniels but they will be rebuilding.

It is the same for Lewis County "25 guys benching 300" well I am calling BS. If they are that strong then why aren't they going to the weightlifting competition at Sprng Hill. By way Spring Hill may be the team to watch for other than Giles that is.

I think Fairview will be very good this year. I am not happy with the coaching hire but they have enough athletes that were coached up by the previous coach that they should be good. I will always support the players as for the Admin not so much. As for Page I have heard that they will be down and way down at that. I think that it is like the first game of the season and everyone start believing that there team really has a shot. I believe it is like that for Page. You can believe all you want but the talent and size is simply not there. You can't lose a Neel, Robbins, Lankford, etc. and expect to compete the next year. I hope they will since I am a big fan of Daniels but they will be rebuilding.

It is the same for Lewis County "25 guys benching 300" well I am calling BS. If they are that strong then why aren't they going to the weightlifting competition at Sprng Hill. By way Spring Hill may be the team to watch for other than Giles that is.

I think you need to go back and read alittle closer. No one said Lewis had 25 benching 300. They had one earlier in the spring.....now they have 4. They have quite a few at or above the 250 mark. So for the B.S..........total of 4.....fact. Read before you attack. Lewis as well as Hickman are rebuilding for sure this year. Hard to say what they will have when the season rolls around. They both lack so much experience. Coaching is going to be the one thing Lewis has that might help them have a deceit season. Fairview does have the horses in place, hope the coaching mess didn't have an effect on this season. EHHS has its mess still going on.....but hopefully they will make a hire soon and get the things rolling. This bunch is battle tested playing with the so many freshmen and sophmore the past few years. That experience might make a differance some. Springhill could be a surprise. Don't believe anyone should dismiss Marshall........a lot of talent still there.