How can Inner-City Schools develop kicking games?

TraderB

Developing a kicking program should take priority immediately after instituting a functioning scoreclock.

I hear what you are saying ... but I'm only going to say this once. All things aren't equal and developing a kicking game is in most cases with the City schools in Memphis a luxury. Just simply saying that isn't going to make it happen. They do what they can with what they have ... and in most cases ... it's not much ... if it is anything at all. All things aren't equal.

The scoreboard isssue is a Park Commision item with the City Schools in Memphis ... not the school itself. It will get addressed when it gets addressed. No sooner no later. Things happen then they get addressed. The scoreboard at Whitehaven malfunctioned in the 1st round game against Craigmont ... it is what it is.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said this earlier and I will say it again. It is not a simple thing to fix. I don't care how simple you may THINK it is ... it is more complicated then that. These coaches aren't idiots and there are not lazy and they know thow the value of having a good kicker.

Case in point:

Whitehaven has two kickers. The starter is of a Mexican decent. Soccer is his families passion. He isn't very consistent on extra points and can't kick long field goals. The second string kicker is of African decent ... his father was the scoring leader in college in soccer at one point. His father is a competative soccer coach. He's an ok kicker ... but he can't kick XP and field goals consistently either. Kicking a soccer ball is not like kicking a football. It helps ... but it isn't the same. I think Whitehaven has a soccer program as well ... I don't know if they have a boys team but I think they have a girls team. I'm not sure about that. Those kickers I mentioned ... all they do is kick. If you think for one moment that these coaches DON'T THINK ABOUT THE KICKING GAME then you don't have a clue. They do.

Like I said before ... it is not as simple as you think. It just isn't. You may think it is ... but it isn't or it would have been done by now. These schools face serious uphill challeneges when it comes to this part of the game. SERIOUS CHALLENGES. For anyone to sit there and say ... it's no big deal ... just commit time to it in practice ... or just go to a clinic ... or this or that. You are SERIOUSLY doing those coaches a diservice ... and I am being kind. I don't know details ... but guys ... it's way more complicated then what you think ... it just is.

I don't know the answer ... but I do know ... it's not a simple thing to fix as a lot of people assume ... it just isn't. I know some folks will have problems grasping that concept ... but that's just the simple truth. It isn't as simple as people want to make it out to be.

I don't think it's that complicated. I do know there is a great deal of consistency that needs to be developed. Keep in mind, I'm not referring to field goals. I'm keeping htis to extra points. The long snapper has to snap it with a certain degree of accuracy. The holder (probably the key guy here) has to catch the ball and place it consistently in the spot that was designated, and at the correct angle. The kicker is supposed to hit a spot, and start his approach at a specific time. If he waits for the holder to spot the ball, it's too late. If the hold is one angle one time, another angle the next, you lose reliability. If the holder puts it down in a place that is off the established mark, the kicker won't hit the ball properly, resulting in a pop up, or getting it blocked, or going off to one side.

The key is to get the practice in and having someone that has experience in the proper techniques is a huge help. It's work and time involved in getting it to be a consistent score. But you don't need size or speed or any special abilities, other than the discipline required to get it done the same way every time.

I guess my point is that the answer isn't that hard. But it does take work to get it done right.

RW:

I think that it is going to take a head coach going over and beyond the call of duty in this matter. I don't have a clue as to what it is ... but it is going to take something out of the ordinary to accomplish the goal because what is being done now isn't getting the job done.

RW ... for conversations sake ... let's assume that everything is equal ... what would you do?

I would make an announcement at school for kicking tryouts. I would take 2-3 of the best candidates, plus the two best athletes I had on the team, to a couple of kicking camps over the summer. I would also let my team know that it was the TOP PRIORITY on the team. That would be a good start. I would also START and END practice with placekicking ALL SPRING and ALL FALL!!

I hear what you are saying ... but I'm only going to say this once. All things aren't equal and developing a kicking game is in most cases with the City schools in Memphis a luxury. Just simply saying that isn't going to make it happen. They do what they can with what they have ... and in most cases ... it's not much ... if it is anything at all. All things aren't equal.

The scoreboard isssue is a Park Commision item with the City Schools in Memphis ... not the school itself. It will get addressed when it gets addressed. No sooner no later. Things happen then they get addressed. The scoreboard at Whitehaven malfunctioned in the 1st round game against Craigmont ... it is what it is.

Regarding scoreboard issue you're exactly right. Nothing the schools can do, they're almost hostage to MIAA/Park Commission on these things. They charge the schools to use the field then won't have staff collecting money at the gate till a lot of people are already inside.

Regarding kicking game, my $0.02:

Lack of soccer programs

Number of coaches - I've seen some schools with 8,10,12 etc, most inner city schools are lucky to have 3. At that point you're coaching the areas you need to so you can score a TD, let alone an XP.

Simple math - If you can get 40% of your 2 pt attempts, over the course of the season that's equal to 80% of PAT's. A lot of it has to do with bang for your buck in terms of time you spend.

Most schools have no home field, which means some of the schools have practice fields w/o goal posts.

I have no doubt that they could have a reliable kicking game in place for next season if they'd get it started this coming summer during workouts. It simply isn't that hard for the kicker due to the short distance of the kick. The hardest part would be to develop the timing and consistency with the holder. They have to train and work as a team. Feild goals are a different story due to increased distance requiring stronger and more accurate kicks. I just can't imagine a coach that's good enough to get his team to the playoffs can't see the importance of establishing this phase of the game. And with the following Melrose has (and Fairley too) I can't understand why the parents haven't held the coaches accountable.

I have posted on the failure of inner city Memphis schools to develop kicking games (EXPs, FGs, and punting) for several years. It has cost them many games, including playoff games. As for how these schools can do it, seems the answer is simple but time consuming: they develop a kicking game the way the other schools do--by practicing it-=-durng practice and in pre-season summer workouts. If there is time to run and to throw, clearly there must be time to kick. Some have said that the coaches want to have a kicking game; what does this prove? You can WANT a kicking game until the cows come home, but that won't cut it. I suspect that the coaches don't want to work with kickers and holders in the summer. I don't know what Memphis coaches do in the off-season, but there may be a hint in the fact that when Murphy Fair and other high school publications send out summer questionnaires, most schools reply but some do not--and about half of all those coaching staffs who never send in previews of their teams--previews that will give their players needed attention--are in Memphis.

I would make an announcement at school for kicking tryouts. I would take 2-3 of the best candidates, plus the two best athletes I had on the team, to a couple of kicking camps over the summer. I would also let my team know that it was the TOP PRIORITY on the team. That would be a good start. I would also START and END practice with placekicking ALL SPRING and ALL FALL!!

RW, your advice sounds very reasonable to me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Frankly, I don't know what these Inner-City School Coaches may have tried (unsuccessfully) in the past; I just think that they absolutely need to do another "gut-check" and commit to doing even more....whatever it takes!

I don't care how "valid" or "real," all EXCUSES should be thrown out! Failure should not be an option. Ever.

So far [regardless of the reason(s)], "failure" has reigned supreme over most Inner-City Schools kicking games, for far, far too long!!

I say, Stop the insanity! Please.

------------------------------------------------

There is a solution.

I have posted on the failure of inner city Memphis schools to develop kicking games (EXPs, FGs, and punting) for several years. It has cost them many games, including playoff games. As for how these schools can do it, seems the answer is simple but time consuming: they develop a kicking game the way the other schools do--by practicing it-=-durng practice and in pre-season summer workouts. If there is time to run and to throw, clearly there must be time to kick. Some have said that the coaches want to have a kicking game; what does this prove? You can WANT a kicking game until the cows come home, but that won't cut it. I suspect that the coaches don't want to work with kickers and holders in the summer. I don't know what Memphis coaches do in the off-season, but there may be a hint in the fact that when Murphy Fair and other high school publications send out summer questionnaires, most schools reply but some do not--and about half of all those coaching staffs who never send in previews of their teams--previews that will give their players needed attention--are in Memphis.

Excellent points.

--------------------------------

It's very hard to argue against the value of practice, practice, practice....unless you're Allen Iverson /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Special teams in general have hurt the three Chattanooga schools mentioned-Tyner, Howard and Brainerd. That includes extra points, lack of field goals so having to go for it in the red zone no matter the distance, short/shanked punts, blocked punts allowed, punt and kick returns allowed. The only in-house solution is finding the time even if it takes away from something else due to lack of assistants. Remember Reggie Roby? There's no reason a black player can't be out there punting it to the moon.

Tyner had a good extra point kicker this year but he was a co-op student from Chattanooga Arts and Sciences. I think he did well in the regular season but missed a crucial extra point kick in their first round playoff loss.

RW:

I think that it is going to take a head coach going over and beyond the call of duty in this matter. I don't have a clue as to what it is ... but it is going to take something out of the ordinary to accomplish the goal because what is being done now isn't getting the job done.

RW ... for conversations sake ... let's assume that everything is equal ... what would you do?

You're dead-on, KWC.

-------------------------------------------------------

That then is precisely what these Inner-City Coaches MUST commit to doing!

Desperate times require desperate measures, I say. Likewise, extraordinary results rarely accompanies ordinary efforts.

You're dead-on, KWC.

-------------------------------------------------------

That then is precisely what these Inner-City Coaches MUST commit to doing!

Desperate times require desperate measures, I say. Likewise, extraordinary results rarely accompanies ordinary efforts.

Your inner city coaches do not share your (kwc & TraderB) unfortunately. I just dont understand it. How many championships and playoff games do they have to lose to realize this. Those coaches do not seem to care as much as the two of you. That is sad.

kwc & TraderB,

I want to wish you guys and your families a safe and happy thanksgiving! I have enjoyed reading your posts this season and our exchanges. I know this is off topic but wanted to make sure and get it posted!

Thank you, SEC1rules.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family, as well.