Stone Memorial Staff

brumfield

Stone Memorial's coaching staff has stepped down. Head Coach Davis and coach's Goss and Raper have decided not to coach next season. The hunt for a new staff has already started. The only question is will the school hire from with in the county or will it look for someone from the outside. We should know in a few weeks what the decision will be. The only one staying is the DC Coach Hanlon. I am not sure about our volunteer coaches.

Good Luck to Coach Davis and the other coach's.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we tend to overlook that SMHS has only played as a varsity program for two years. Also they were in the toughest 3A region state, see Knox. Catholic in 3A final, last year Fulton in final. This year they had the budget shutdown that cost them two weeks of practice. Whoever takes the job will have to change the culture of players missing practices and weightlifting to "work", parents and players not understanding that there is a game during fall break and going on vacation. Good Luck to the new staff.

Jet Pride any expected changes at Cumberland County?

Stone Memorial's coaching staff has stepped down. Head Coach Davis and coach's Goss and Raper have decided not to coach next season. The hunt for a new staff has already started. The only question is will the school hire from with in the county or will it look for someone from the outside. We should know in a few weeks what the decision will be. The only one staying is the DC Coach Hanlon. I am not sure about our volunteer coaches.

Good Luck to Coach Davis and the other coach's.

anyone know why they stepped down? does the school have a lifting/ athletic block?

bump

I have a question for the Stone Memorial faithful. Why didn't SM choose to join the district with Livingston Academy, DeKalb Co., Smith Co., York, Upperman, & Cannon Co.? It seems to me like the Panthers might be able to compete with these teams and possibly make the playoffs. Instead, they have joined Alcoa, CAK, Loudon, Kingston, Scott Co., etc. Those teams are on a different level. I have heard that the reason was based on exposure. Why would anyone want to be exposed to huge loses?

• 5 months later...

I have a question for the Stone Memorial faithful. Why didn't SM choose to join the district with Livingston Academy, DeKalb Co., Smith Co., York, Upperman, & Cannon Co.? It seems to me like the Panthers might be able to compete with these teams and possibly make the playoffs. Instead, they have joined Alcoa, CAK, Loudon, Kingston, Scott Co., etc. Those teams are on a different level. I have heard that the reason was based on exposure. Why would anyone want to be exposed to huge loses?

Coach Davis is really the reason. Our first year we finished with a JV record of 8-2 (becuz we had no senior thats all we were was a JV team) but we also played varsity on some games and still won. Coach Davis believed if we started out against harder teams it would give us an advantage on teams that we can actually compete with. Now this coming up year we are in a region we can compete with and we should have a winning season considering the fact that the freshman of the first year we were open have faced some of the tougher teams in the state are now seniors and have alot of experience against tough competition. we'll see

• 3 weeks later...

Coach Davis is really the reason. Our first year we finished with a JV record of 8-2 (becuz we had no senior thats all we were was a JV team) but we also played varsity on some games and still won. Coach Davis believed if we started out against harder teams it would give us an advantage on teams that we can actually compete with. Now this coming up year we are in a region we can compete with and we should have a winning season considering the fact that the freshman of the first year we were open have faced some of the tougher teams in the state are now seniors and have alot of experience against tough competition. we'll see

After looking at Stone Memorial's 2008 results and its 2009 schedule, I would say that its record realistically will be somewhere around 3-7 in 2009. The district they are moving into is not as tough as the region they left, but it doesn't contain any cupcakes either. The four 3A teams (Alcoa, CAK, Kingston, and Loudon) are all expected to be among the top 20 3A teams in the state. Plus, the other 4A team (Scott) beat Stone Memorial pretty soundly last year. It is entirely possible that Stone Memorial might have a much better team and still go 0-5 in the district.

It is obvious that Stone Memorial was greatly overscheduled in 2008. That schedule was a murderers row when you consider that every team in its region was an excellent 3A team. Add Division II AA semifinalist Ensworth to that schedule, and you have a schedule too ambitious for a team in its second year as a varsity program. Stone Memorial should be complimented for not being afraid to take on the big boys. Playing good teams should pay off in the long run. However, unless the 2009 team is substantially better than the 2008 team, they probably will take their lumps for at least one more season.

• 2 weeks later...
yes stone definately needs 2 be in a different region,nice facilities,but wheres the talent? is there any is cumberland county? ive honestly never heard of them ever having a good team there?

Stone new coach wattenbarger when he was at CCHS had some good teams in the late 90's & early 2000 I say you Kingston folks didnt hear much about us those days because CCHS region still to this day in middle tennessee. Plus the last 3 years has been bad but the new coachs at both school should turn things around I see Stone going 4-6 this year & CCHS going 5-5