Oneida in 09

remade28

whoooooooooooooooo my vote at qb goes to jimmy may he was the late richard maygars top pick for his all 80's team so he gets my vote I need to look at that article again it might help me on this one whoooooooooooooo. champ you're still the man though. they say time stops for no man but i bet it walks slowly past you brother whooooooooooo /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCW86, I remember our discussion.....Smith will enter the stage a little later I'm sure! Right now we are covering offensive linemen. Only rule in this little game; can't use a player twice. So you have to be selective about which player to use and where. We'll find 22 of the best I'm sure. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kaz

Gee, I guess I should have paid better attention to the topic at hand! Well, I guess I got a jump on the second part of the discussion. You'd probably have to include some of the current Oneida O-linemen, as big as they are these days. Then again teenagers in general are bigger these days-kinda scary if you think about it!

Ricky F.....I'm gonna have to ride Stan "The Man" Pennington as my QB. As you should know, it's all about the gold, brother! And Pennington definitely got that part for us. Jimmy was faster in his day, but Stan could deliver the ball better on the fly. Plus, he was so big.....he was a chore to tackle, too!

My backfield behind him is proving difficult because there is a boatload of solid backs to choose from. The teams in the 50's were undefeated (several times), they must have had some real "rock toters". Can anyone help me with information on that decade or before?

I think my backfield will surprise a few people! We'll see! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kazz

whoooooooooooooooo my vote at qb goes to jimmy may he was the late richard maygars top pick for his all 80's team so he gets my vote I need to look at that article again it might help me on this one whoooooooooooooo. champ you're still the man though. they say time stops for no man but i bet it walks slowly past you brother whooooooooooo /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Nature Boy! So how's retirement treating you? So has Vinnie Mac offered you a job working with the young talent yet? Or are you just sittin pool side thinking about those late 80s cage matches with Lex Luger or the Starcade battles with Sting? Hey I saw you wrestle Luger at the Norfolk Scope back in 91 in my military days-seems like only yesterday... Anyway I just wanted to send you a shout out-you always treat your old fans on CoachT so good! So how are the Indians looking in 09? I hear you all play my alma mater Wartburg this year -hey I'll be looking for your limo in the parking lot!! Talk to you later champ!

Ricky F.....I'm gonna have to ride Stan "The Man" Pennington as my QB. As you should know, it's all about the gold, brother! And Pennington definitely got that part for us. Jimmy was faster in his day, but Stan could deliver the ball better on the fly. Plus, he was so big.....he was a chore to tackle, too!

My backfield behind him is proving difficult because there is a boatload of solid backs to choose from. The teams in the 50's were undefeated (several times), they must have had some real "rock toters". Can anyone help me with information on that decade or before?

I think my backfield will surprise a few people! We'll see! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kazz

I agree Stan was good and he did deliver with the "Gold" however, in my eyes one of the best Qb's that I have SEEN and probably the most versatile and athletic was hands down Jason Pike.

And to fix your statement again Kaz...Chitwood played tackle not guard.(Gosh old age is kicking in for ya it looks)

In the backfield, again just from what I have seen with my own eyes I would think at FB you would have to consider Doug Pike or Culley"the orange machine" Phillips. Your TB would include the choices of Phil Meredith and Derek Lawswon.I would suppose that the name of Steve Phillips would pop up here somewhere but that was before my time.

Listen Champ......I know my x's and o's better than you think. IMO, Chitwood would be a formitable guard on my line because of his mobility and power in the lead. If you want to get "picky" about it Freak was a tackle, too! And Johnny Mac was just a deep snapper on punts....I believe he regularly played guard. However, I'm trying to make my team solid with exceptional players! Also, Chitwood did play some guard for us in his formative years! See.......my statement doesn't need fixin'!!

I'm gonna stick with Stan....I, too, think J. Pike is an exceptional player.....he will probably make my defense! I'm also noting you are sticking with backs that you are entirely in your era.....what's wrong Champ....are you a little afraid to research a little deeper. Wouldn't you agree those undefeated teams in the fifties must have had a few bell wearers! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Let me give you a name you are probably unfamiliar with.......Ronnie Jeffers.....this kid once accounted for 40 points in a single game against a 5-A school. Look it up. Some of the backs you mentioned are very good and I might steal one or two (we'll see).

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazzy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Nature Boy! So how's retirement treating you? So has Vinnie Mac offered you a job working with the young talent yet? Or are you just sittin pool side thinking about those late 80s cage matches with Lex Luger or the Starcade battles with Sting? Hey I saw you wrestle Luger at the Norfolk Scope back in 91 in my military days-seems like only yesterday... Anyway I just wanted to send you a shout out-you always treat your old fans on CoachT so good! So how are the Indians looking in 09? I hear you all play my alma mater Wartburg this year -hey I'll be looking for your limo in the parking lot!! Talk to you later champ!

whoooooooooooooo scw86 my brother always good to hear from a longtime fan whooooooo. I'll be stylin and profilin my way to wartburg in 09 whooooooo look for the limo to be parked outside of hardees. cleatless ,champ oh no even kaz????!? have y'all forgot about sparky woods? someone mentioned steve phillips,what about vince jeffers, phillip kazaee,mike slaven, avery huff, marlon byrd whoooooooooooooo the ol' nature boy knows brother whooooooooo

After much insight and deliberation my backfield has turned out like this (I'm also going to give a honorable mention to a second backfield who not many of us know about, but by all accounts, they were exceptional players too!):

QB - Stan Pennington: Led Oneida to school's only State Championship!

FB - Avery Huff: Bruising runner and blocker. Tremendous size and very good speed give him the edge.

RB - Micheal Smith: Very gifted player. Best asset was yards after initial contact. Very powerful for tailback!

RB - Phil Meredith: Speed guy. Lightning in a bottle! Tough kid. Miss him (which was often)....he gets six!

RB - Sparky Woods: I'm going totally on legend with this one. I've heard he was exceptional?!?!

Honorable mention:

QB - Mike Swain: Heard he knew how to sling it. Very good leadership skills.

FB - Mark Summers: Tough guy. Hard runner and gave it up for his running backs. LB's nightmare.

RB - Ray Porter: Elusive and tough. Played in next level. Did I mention tough.....still is!

RB - Ray Booher: My source says this cat was fast! Ran track in College. Think D. Lawson fast and you have R.B.

Notables: Warren "Fuji" Huff, Doug Pike, Mike Slaven, Jason Pike, Sam Woodard, Randy Stephens, Dale Martin, Mark Posey, Marlon Byrd, Toby Mays, Jonathon Lewallen, and Jake Lowe.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

After much insight and deliberation my backfield has turned out like this (I'm also going to give a honorable mention to a second backfield who not many of us know about, but by all accounts, they were exceptional players too!):

QB - Stan Pennington: Led Oneida to school's only State Championship!

FB - Avery Huff: Bruising runner and blocker. Tremendous size and very good speed give him the edge.

RB - Micheal Smith: Very gifted player. Best asset was yards after initial contact. Very powerful for tailback!

RB - Phil Meredith: Speed guy. Lightning in a bottle! Tough kid. Miss him (which was often)....he gets six!

RB - Sparky Woods: I'm going totally on legend with this one. I've heard he was exceptional?!?!

Honorable mention:

QB - Mike Swain: Heard he knew how to sling it. Very good leadership skills.

FB - Mark Summers: Tough guy. Hard runner and gave it up for his running backs. LB's nightmare.

RB - Ray Porter: Elusive and tough. Played in next level. Did I mention tough.....still is!

RB - Ray Booher: My source says this cat was fast! Ran track in College. Think D. Lawson fast and you have R.B.

Notables: Warren "Fuji" Huff, Doug Pike, Mike Slaven, Jason Pike, Sam Woodard, Randy Stephens, Dale Martin, Mark Posey, Marlon Byrd, Toby Mays, Jonathon Lewallen, and Jake Lowe.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Kaz, everything you say about Smith here is true-he was such a tough runner he actually BENT my face mask in a collision one time and I was trying to tackle HIM! Also I remember Marlon Byrd also as a freight train with a football in his hands! Wasn't he also a really good baseball player?

I would Go with Stan at QB and Toss up between Huff and Pike at fullback, No disrespect champ, Lawson and Meideth at Tailback, and Loop I think you might mean Shane Phillips? I think these youger kids need to age a little more in my memory, just like a fine wine, get better with time.

Injun (or anyone else who might know), what about Steve Phillips (University of Kentucky) and Sparky Woods (Carson Newman). I think I got the names and colleges correct. Pretty good backs seems like. Of course, Sparky will probably make the coaches all time list.