Oneida in 09

remade28

And the Defensive Back are........:

Corners

Scotty Owens - this guy can read a QB like a children's book, athletic enough to play bump or off the receiver, great run support, tough to beat deep because he reads the route well, great at stripping the football, and elusiveness make him dangerous on picks.

Steve Phillips - I'm basically going on legend with this pick. Another strong coverage guy, quick to the ball (in air and on ground), UK Alum in football (OK, not the stongest football school, but it is in the SEC), picks up the drag route really well (there was a story about this!)(another time, maybe), and tough as nails!

Safeties

Shane Keeton - corners can make a mistake because this guy could cover the whole field, arguably the second best athlete (behind D. Lawson) ever at Oneida, outstanding range, instant offense on picks (and probably a little more dangerous than Scotty O), open field tackling is superb, and could run down almost anyone!

Joel Cotton - wins the SS position based almost entirely on hitting ability, complete disregard for human life.....both his and the runners! Loved to hit things at a high impact! In fact, I think he lived for that perfect shot. Did I mention he is a hitter? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I think they have made several football movies out of this type of player. (mostly comedies) /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , but movies none the less!

Kazzertono

Steve Phillips returned a kick-off for a touchdown at Neyland Stadium one year for the Wildcats maybe 1974 or 75? Pretty cool side note.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just didnt know because i know lose in a good bunch of seniors and a head coach has to hurt but i wish the best of luck...

I think Oneida should be ok. They will have 5 boys either right at or over 300 lbs on the line. (one probably won't see much time since he is a freshman but this kid is gonna be great)

The Indians will also have 5 maybe 6 boys that can run a 4.6 - 40. Give or take a step. All those boys should be on the field somewhere on off. and def.

Oneida does have a new head coach but he has been the assistant HC for two years. All the assistants from last year are back with a few new ones. Starting in Middle school, Oneida plays some tough teams. The Indians are pretty much battle tested with 17-18 seniors.

So, size, speed, experience, toughness....its all there. But, anytime a team has to replace so many starters on the O-Line, there will be questions. I think we will know a little more about all the pieces falling into place after the spring scrimmage.

True......the defense did play a 5-2, but Newport played Strong Safety that Jr. year which in that defense was the equivalent of an outside linebacker. Tha fact that he began his career as a DB has no baring on his placement on the team. For instance I have often thought Jason Pike would have make a fantastic cornerback, yet he played almost his entire career at OLB. Pete Shoemaker played tight end, yet he made my team as a receiver because that was a more natural fit IMO!

What do you think? Anyone? Heres a bonus.....try to name the All-Time top five hitters, here is mine:

Joel Cotton

Jake Lowe

Daniel King

Johnny McDonald

Rusty Ellis

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazzy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Allorange, there are several kids with excellent speed on the team. The Woodard Brothers (3) are all fast, Hutson is back, Sexton, both Hoods (2)(and I think the younger one can beat the older one in a foot race), Chambers is a cat quick TE, West can beat secondaries, and Coach Brewster runs the sidelines pretty good! (come to think of it Wright moves well for an old guy, too!) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Kazanity

Smash Mouth Who are the 5 or 6 speed guys for Oneida next season ? Please tell , I am a little out of touch

Kaz got em all. The dark horse is Chambers. He is the tallest and maybe the fastest kid out there! I was surprized at that. Sam has that ellusive 5th gear. Man, he gets in space....you better watch it. Hudson weighs 170 lbs and is benching 300! Will and D West...All these boys play in the secondary and will flat out hit anyone. Should be fun to watch.

Randy Stephens and Arnie Deweese are great folks! I wish I had the chance to watch them two play! I heard tale Arnie would crack your skull! This is great stuff going back thru the years.

Kazam , all the kids you said have speed I would like to pick a sleeper Cole Stephens . Lets not forget about two years ago, huntsville was picked to come to oneida and kill the big orange . The frist year of playing football and this kid scored all 22 points and oneida walked away with a victory . Not bad when a local business man said [TS] all Oneida had was a bunch of basketball players playing middle schol football .

Kazam , all the kids you said have speed I would like to pick a sleeper Cole Stephens . Lets not forget about two years ago, huntsville was picked to come to oneida and kill the big orange . The frist year of playing football and this kid scored all 22 points and oneida walked away with a victory . Not bad when a local business man said [TS] all Oneida had was a bunch of basketball players playing middle school football .

All 24pts, OMS beat Huntsville 24-20 that night. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />