Oneida in 09

remade28

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you probably think I'm a know-it-all, but I happen to have some general knowledge of Bill Webb. He played along side my pops when they were in school. My dad speaks fondly of his friendship through the years they played together, as well as after they finished school. Back in the day those linemen were a bit "undersized" by todays standards, and Bill was no exception. (dad said he weighed about 160 if he was soppin' wet) Despite his size, he more than made up for it with grit and determination. They ran a version of the Wing T, which required a lot of misdirection and often pulling guards to lead out on a play. Bill was one of the guards and dad said he couldn't ever remember him missing a block. He said his effectiveness on offense was because he was so intelligent about the game, but he was good on defense for just the opposite! It seems he made a career of showing up at the right time to make a play. Running to the football apparently had a whole new meaning to this kid. Despite playing both ways and special teams, they said his motor was amazing. Must have been nice to have him as a teammate! He and his wife Gayle now live in Maryville I believe! He had a bunch of daughters, so I'm not too sure what his contribution to the great Maryville Football Team has been. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Kaz

Thanks Kazam , When you here of these names in the locker room about the worriors of the past it is nice to know what they are doing know . A couple of years ago someone pointed him out to me in a phillips drive in , did not get a chance to talk to him wish I had .

Here's some little doozies:

Best Player You've never heard of: Ray Booher - fast.....fast......fast

Greatest Improvement over four years: Willie Boyatt - went from bottom feeder to the top of the food chain.

Strong Armed QB's (these boys could wing it!) - S. Jacobs, M. McBroom, K, Byrd, J. King, ????!

Coaches of note: Daniels, Jacobs, Gaylor, May Sr., Burchfield, Lambert, Wright.....all of these coaches know how to assemble their players to make them most effective.

Kaz

On this next one......I have no clue.......what are the all time best nicknames given to players up here? This seem to be a fashionable trend with the kids through the ages, what are some of the best? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kazzy