Farragut in 2009

AdmiralMan

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the o-line coach is Dustin Lyles. a great young coach who graduated from maryville college a couple years ago and knows alot about the game. he has been with coach sweetland for a few weeks now learning the offensive scheme. coach pate is STILL coaching the d-line and coach cox is back and will work with both the backers and d-line. coach courtney is coaching the linebackers where he has coached for 30 years. coach harris has the defensive backs and geoff courtney is working with both the secondary and bandits. i see it being a productive spring.

WoooHooo! I am so excited for this spring. I am excited to see what the tandem of Courtney and Courntey working with the LBs and OLBS. It will be refreshing for the kids to have a coach who teaches proper fundamentals and scheme as opposed to someone who makes them run full speed at each other for thirty mintues.

I am going to ask this are any at Farragut or are they all away as always.

from what i heard mcminn is supposed to be at farragut next friday unless soccer plays at home. they're trying to go to carson newman again the following week for mo. west

the o-line coach is Dustin Lyles. a great young coach who graduated from maryville college a couple years ago and knows alot about the game. he has been with coach sweetland for a few weeks now learning the offensive scheme. coach pate is STILL coaching the d-line and coach cox is back and will work with both the backers and d-line. coach courtney is coaching the linebackers where he has coached for 30 years. coach harris has the defensive backs and geoff courtney is working with both the secondary and bandits. i see it being a productive spring.

That Geoff Courtney kid is Coach Courtney's son, what a guy. He's very intelligent when it comes to football, I heard he was still playing over at UT as well, good for him. I was out at spring practice yesterday and was watching the new o-line coach, and wow they're gonna miss Partin more than they would have ever guessed. Sweetland better get his butt up there or that line may be in trouble. Good to see Cox back out there yesterday, I know he took last season off, but he is a good coach and will definitely help with the brief absence of Doucette.

Observations from the practice I saw:

QB: Browning is where he should be. Tillman(?) struggled, but had a few nice throws, 2 freshman looked out of sync but might be because they just got released from baseball.

RB: LOADED, Hudson pulled hamstring during early week running, what I heard, not dressed yet. Purty is a man-child, running all over everyone. Bass looked qucker and more physical. 2 Freshman show good signs, they're still learning to play with the big boys.

WR: LOADED, many contributors, Allen still in baseball and wasn't dressed. Van Dyne looks bigger and faster. Jetton was impressive as well. Gibson showed good hands. Freshman #34, short kid, quickest on the team, heard someone call him Braden, don't know if first or last name but the kid can play.

TE: Freshman #49 got most of the reps, looks good, tall, fair hands, athletic.

OL: struggled across the board, no real size, look lost alot but they have very limited experience so they can't help but improve. From what I saw they haven't mixed the freshman linemen in yet so it's hard to tell if any will be able to help yet, but they did look good at least.

DL: Flipped the starters around a lot getting them used to all 3 spots. They dominated OL in one on ones.

LBS: still seem up in the air about whose in the mix, Harper was the only one that stood out, the rest seem pretty much on the same level. Should be a good competition to see who fills the other 4 spots.

DB: Hard to gauge since most of the good ones are playing WR so I'm not sure who will be the final 3, but they got a lot of guys to chose from.

Coaches: Everyone from last year is back out, except Partin (gone to HC Cumberland Co.) and Doucette. Plus Cox is back working with DL.

Anyway that's a casual observers view of 1 practice, take it for what you will. Overall was impressed that they were able to run the ball some, so there may be hope for the OL yet. Didn't throw the ball particularly well, but may have just been an off day. They have a bunch of kids competing for spots, some of the Freshman may get in the mix by the time they're Sophmores in the Fall. Pace of practice was good, Courtney always does a good job with that.

QB: Browning is where he should be. Tillman(?) struggled, but had a few nice throws, 2 freshman looked out of sync but might be because they just got released from baseball.

RB: LOADED, Hudson pulled hamstring during early week running, what I heard, not dressed yet. Purty is a man-child, running all over everyone. Bass looked qucker and more physical. 2 Freshman show good signs, they're still learning to play with the big boys.

WR: LOADED, many contributors, Allen still in baseball and wasn't dressed. Van Dyne looks bigger and faster. Jetton was impressive as well. Gibson showed good hands. Freshman #34, short kid, quickest on the team, heard someone call him Braden, don't know if first or last name but the kid can play.

OL: struggled across the board, no real size, look lost alot but they have very limited experience so they can't help but improve. From what I saw they haven't mixed the freshman linemen in yet so it's hard to tell if any will be able to help yet, but they did look good at least.

DL: Flipped the starters around a lot getting them used to all 3 spots. They dominated OL in one on ones.

LBS: still seem up in the air about whose in the mix, Harper was the only one that stood out, the rest seem pretty much on the same level. Should be a good competition to see who fills the other 4 spots.

DB: Hard to gauge since most of the good ones are playing WR so I'm not sure who will be the final 3, but they got a lot of guys to chose from.

Coaches: Everyone from last year is back out, except Partin (gone to HC Cumberland Co.) and Doucette. Plus Cox is back working with DL.

Anyway that's a casual observers view of 1 practice, take it for what you will. Overall was impressed that they were able to run the ball some, so there may be hope for the OL yet. Didn't throw the ball particularly well, but may have just been an off day. They have a bunch of kids competing for spots, some of the Freshman may get in the mix by the time they're Sophmores in the Fall. Pace of practice was good, Courtney always does a good job with that.

Great post! Keep us informed.

van dyne's got too much talent to be wasted at WR all year

It will be interesting to see now that they're into the second week, if they don't start moving some players around to give them a look at different positions.

Between Purty, Hudson, and Bass the RB position will be plenty deep. The 2 Freshman RB's (Johnson and Hannay)may find a spot on defense to get some work in. Johnson has already seen some work at FS. Although with Purty and Hudson injury record, it may turn out not to be as deep as expected.

I really like Freshman #34 Urevic (sp?) at WR. He's small but really quick, and has good hands. I know that position is loaded, but this kid can flat out play. #49 Brown may turn into something at TE. He has a good frame, and is very athletic. I'm very optimistic about the Freshman OL. They're struggling right now, as to be expected, but I think there's probably at least 5 that will stick it out, and could really be a special group. How they do in the weightroom over the Summer may determine if they can help this coming year.

The Blue and gray game was so-so. Ran the ball well, passing game was not very sharp, weather could have been a factor.