White Co. Football

cavsfootball

Well after all that has been many moons ago and my memory is not what it used to be. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I was trying to remember who all coached on that staff. I knew Jimmy did. Forgot about Dale and coach Short. I guess Burt Oakley came after you left ? Also trying to remember some of the players. Tim Richardson played QB on that team or was he a little later ? Glad to hear from you coach, I hope everything works out for Matthan.

It was a long time ago RC. How are things at LA? I have been busy with Jackson County and I know Matthan has been busy at Cookeville. Both staffs went to the Glazier Clinic in Atlanta this past weekend. Good stuff , thought I might see you there.

As for the '80 White County team, Aaron Williams was the QB, Richardson was in the 8th grade at the time. Scott Anderson, who played at Vanderbilt (as did Richardson later on), was a tough defensive lineman on that team. Willis Price was a star running back, the late Troy Young was a top receiver, Mack Wilhite led the offensive line, Marlon Cullum was a defensive end, Sam Dibrell and Donald Haston were linebackers, Johnny Gribble and Clay Leftwich were stars in the secondary. Gribble had a big night on the wingback trap play in the 28-24 win over Livingston Academy. Others included Greg Wyant, John Cheek, Steve Harris, Gerald Guth, Steve Howard, wow I hate naming names cause it was a true 'team' that played together and won together. (I apologize for the names I've left out).

It's funny how as you get older it's the losses that stick with you, especially the 13-7 loss at home to Cookeville with a packed house in a game that was every bit as close as the final score. We also lost to York that year 21-14. We were stopped on the one yard line twice in the closing seconds although most from Sparta felt we scored. York had a great team with Joey Vaughn at QB and Patton in the backfield.

The other loss was to Rockwood on the road in the only game we lost where we were obviously the better team.

The '80 Warriors were so fired up and hungry for the bowl game. Goodpasture was 9-1 but honestly they never had a chance on that night. The Warriors simply came to play. Coach Farley was in his first year back home as a Head Coach after 8 years at Livingston Academy. He was a happy man as we all were. Coach Maynord showed all the signs that he would have a successful career which of course he has. Coach Fair, a former University of Tennessee player went back home Elizabethton after the season for a banking career and Coach Short eventually left Sparta to coach girls basketball at Murfreesboro Riverdale. Burt Oakley actually took either mine or Coach Fair's place as he came the following year which was the year we left.

I have been fortunate to work with a lot of great players and coaches through the years of which you, Rocking Chair, was one of them. I'm really glad we had that one year coaching together at LA and I still have many great memories of our playing days back in the 1870's, oh wait it was the 1970's.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always good to hear from you and especially about the good old days. I remember that Sparta team very well. I also watched the game against LA. I believe they called an illegal fair catch on Mark Eldridge (head coach Maryville basketball) and that gave the ball back to the Warriors late in the 4th. Sparta eventually scored and won the game. A heartbreaking loss for the Cats.

Sparta has always had outstanding football teams as long as I can remember. Early 70's when David Culley, Leftwich etc. played for the Warriors. And on up until Maynord left, Sparta has had some good teams. From that time until today I can't remember any team or year that stands out. But I could have missed some. Sparta has always had some of the best talent around. I just don't see why that program can't be at the top year in and out. I know when Jimmy coached their that Sparta could have won a 2A title with some of those teams he had but was in 3A playing against Riverdale - Oakland and the like. And maybe that's why they haven't done so well over the years is that they are playing schools that are much bigger and have better athletes. It's hard to compete every year with that. But it can be done with hard work and dedication. It will take more than just showing up on game nights which I know your well aware of that and what it would take to get that program back up on it's feet. Hopefully if things work out I'll see you donning the Maroon and Gray.

Always good to hear from you and especially about the good old days. I remember that Sparta team very well. I also watched the game against LA. I believe they called an illegal fair catch on Mark Eldridge (head coach Maryville basketball) and that gave the ball back to the Warriors late in the 4th. Sparta eventually scored and won the game. A heartbreaking loss for the Cats.

Sparta has always had outstanding football teams as long as I can remember. Early 70's when David Culley, Leftwich etc. played for the Warriors. And on up until Maynord left, Sparta has had some good teams. From that time until today I can't remember any team or year that stands out. But I could have missed some. Sparta has always had some of the best talent around. I just don't see why that program can't be at the top year in and out. I know when Jimmy coached their that Sparta could have won a 2A title with some of those teams he had but was in 3A playing against Riverdale - Oakland and the like. And maybe that's why they haven't done so well over the years is that they are playing schools that are much bigger and have better athletes. It's hard to compete every year with that. But it can be done with hard work and dedication. It will take more than just showing up on game nights which I know your well aware of that and what it would take to get that program back up on it's feet. Hopefully if things work out I'll see you donning the Maroon and Gray.

Well let's just see what happens. I am certain there are a lot of quality applicants for the position and the administration there will hire whomever best fits their program. In the meantime there is plenty of work to do in the situation I am in now. Whatever happens at White County I hope to see them in the mix in the near future as with all the teams of the Upper Cumberland. I am one of those who pull for the local teams, it's good for football in the entire area.

Is Coach Pullam the only current coach that applied? What will Coach Kerr coach at Anderson County? Just wondering cause I'm bored.

I am a little surprised that coach Pullum applied. Last year when we played the White Co. JV at LA, he told me that this might be his last year teaching and coaching. I have known Rick since the mid 70's while we were at Tech. So I know he has been in the business for at least 30 some odd years.

Maybe you are right. Seems i'm the only person interested in White County football.

You're not the only person interested in White County football you're just the only person that seems to be talking about it on this site. This is my first post and I'm not really sure who all reads this site but it has been interesting to read over the last few weeks. I'm a former Warrior player who played under Coach Matt Eldridge during my Junior and Senior year and I still like to follow what's going on with the program. I'm not really sure who all is interviewing but from the previous posts I'm guessing maybe 4 or 5. We've not been able to win much over the last few years but I think with the right person this program could get turned around.

I'm hoping that we can hire someone from the area this time instead of going with an outsider. Does the coach from AL have ties to this area? Have the other coaches who are not from White Co. been coaching in this area for the last few years? What are others hearing about these coaches? I'm sure they are all fine coaches and hopefully we can get the best person to lead our program. Somebody keep us posted.

Of the ones I know 2 are from Sparta, Pullam, is a long time assistant, and Lowery is the former middle school coach, and then Houser is at Cookeville and i think he right played for Eldridge at Livingston. I don't know the coach for AL at all. May be others I don't know with close ties. anyway thanks for saying something i felt like i was only one here lately.