I think there should be something beyond state championship.

whatnow

I wish there was a Regional playoffs. the two best teams from every state in the southeast play until there is a regional champion. The every region has a national playoffs until there is a declared national champion. that will make high football last about as long as the NFL.

If you agree reply

This isn't because Franklin wants another shot at Oakland is it? Just wondering...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish there was a Regional playoffs. the two best teams from every state in the southeast play until there is a regional champion. The every region has a national playoffs until there is a declared national champion. that will make high football last about as long as the NFL.

If you agree reply

It would be cool, but that would make the season like 30+ games and extend into Feb. The NFL, if you consider preseason and the entire postseason, has 24 games. Then you've got classification differences from state to state, travel costs, too much pressure on the players and families, etc. Ain't gonna happen. High School sports suppliment academics. They should never get in their way.

I do like the idea of setting up some sort of post-postseason, though, where teams get to face off against each other in bowl games after the playoffs are done. Nothing but bragging rights and a trophy on the line, and a chance to send more hardworking kids off with a win than a loss. I can see it being a huge money maker too, and much better than the current "bowl" system in TN.

Arkansas used to have the State Champions play off for an overall State Championship. I don't think they still do it.

this wouldn't be a bad idea , but with 6 classes not counting D2 next year , this would still create 3 more games for the champs and runner up , an 18 game season for highschool kids and coaches who get paid diddly is asking a little much.

It would be cool, but that would make the season like 30+ games and extend into Feb. The NFL, if you consider preseason and the entire postseason, has 24 games. Then you've got classification differences from state to state, travel costs, too much pressure on the players and families, etc. Ain't gonna happen. High School sports suppliment academics. They should never get in their way.

I do like the idea of setting up some sort of post-postseason, though, where teams get to face off against each other in bowl games after the playoffs are done. Nothing but bragging rights and a trophy on the line, and a chance to send more hardworking kids off with a win than a loss. I can see it being a huge money maker too, and much better than the current "bowl" system in TN.

That's the closest thing to a good idea that high school football could get away with. Playing one or two more games won't hurt the kids academically. A "bowl game" against the Kentucky state champ, or the Alabama champ, would be an excellent idea. BTW, the Kirk Herbstreit Challenge in Ohio already pits some of the top teams from all over the country against Ohio's top teams. I love the fact that a lot of top teams are now playing eachother around the country. A good 'what if' scenario could've been Oakland vs. Bentonville(Arkansas champs) or Maryville vs. South Panola(before both streaks were snapped.)

Maybe one more game for the top few teams (this year MUS, Maryville despite the loss, etc), or the state title winners, against similar size level teams from a nearby state. I think you'd have to take basketball players out and let them begin their seasons, any from the state championship teams are just now getting to begin.

If you agree reply

Since we all know that isn't feasible, I have a better idea that is. We should have an invitational challenge like Ohio, Texas, and Florida do. The games could be played at Vanderbilt or Neyland Stadium. It could be kept to just the southeast region. I could envision an excellent line-up of about 8 games:

Oakland vs Bentonville,AR (Big school champs)

Franklin vs Meridian,MS (Big school champs)

Maryville vs South Panola (Post-streak game)

MUS vs Louisville,KY Trinity (Powerhouse match-up)

MBA vs Prattville,AL (Revenge game for Tennessee...hopefully)

Alcoa vs Buford,GA (Small school clash)

Ensworth vs Tampa,FL Plant (Probable FL 4A champs)

BA vs Duncan,SC Byrnes (Another revenge game for Tennessee fans)

Those would be some titanic matches and if the right group of real high school football fans (and money, of course) got together it could be done. After all, Ohio is doing it...why can't we?

Maybe one more game for the top few teams (this year MUS, Maryville despite the loss, etc), or the state title winners, against similar size level teams from a nearby state. I think you'd have to take basketball players out and let them begin their seasons, any from the state championship teams are just now getting to begin.

You mean MUS, Hillsboro, don't you. You said the top few teams. Talk about a National Champion high school and already there are disagreements. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

You mean MUS, Hillsboro, don't you. You said the top few teams. Talk about a National Champion high school and already there are disagreements. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I meant the state champions plus possibly the top few teams who didn't win the state. That's why MUS and Maryville were mentioned. It's all just speculation and wishing anyway.