9AA Starts

Popcorn901

I would love some details about the FRA - Hume Fogg game. All the paper said was that Hume Fogg had a run in the 4th quarter. Was FRA in foul trouble by that point?

Pearl Cohn - DL game was great. You kept thinking DL would run away with it, but then PC would answer with a 3 ptr. Very good game. PC is much better than I had expected this early in the season.

FRA literally threw this game away. For 3 quarters they outplayed HF and built an 11 point lead. The whole "feel" of the start of the 4th quarter was that FRA was going to have a fairly easy time securing another win. HF had showed no sign of being able to mount any sort of sustained run. I think FRA still had the 11 point lead with 7 minutes left. FRA missed a couple of shots, turned the ball over, had trouble getting it inbounds and had no success rebounding in those last seven minutes. Meanwhile HF was scoring-rebounding and was transformed into a sky high team. Bagwell was simply phenomenal at the end-seemed like there was 6 or 7 of her on the court making steals. Complete turnround by HF.

The officials played their part also IMO...even though the pressure defense was applied by HF not FRA;FRA had TWICE the number of fouls called against FRA as did HF. They allowed several "no-calls" with contact in HF's run that contributed to the final outcome.

FRA was in foul trouble but all their ball handlers were in as the game was decided.

Make no mistake however, the officials did not cost FRA the game-FRA had this game won and let it get away with bad decisions and lack of rebounding. 11 point leads in the fourth quarter are huge leads in girls HS basketball. Hopefully they will learn from it and be better for it. This was FRA's 3rd close game and the first they had lost.

Hats off to HF...they simply refused to lose.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love some details about the FRA - Hume Fogg game. All the paper said was that Hume Fogg had a run in the 4th quarter. Was FRA in foul trouble by that point?

Pearl Cohn - DL game was great. You kept thinking DL would run away with it, but then PC would answer with a 3 ptr. Very good game. PC is much better than I had expected this early in the season.

FRA was in a bit of foul trouble at that point, but they typically foul a little more than usual anyways so it wasn't anything big. Hume Fogg didn't get back in the game through free throws, they just got some steals and some easy buckets to make their run. FRA probably outplayed them for 3 quarters, but of course it takes 4 quarters to win a game.

FRA was in a bit of foul trouble at that point, but they typically foul a little more than usual anyways so it wasn't anything big. Hume Fogg didn't get back in the game through free throws, they just got some steals and some easy buckets to make their run. FRA probably outplayed them for 3 quarters, but of course it takes 4 quarters to win a game.

Thanks for the info. This is definitely telling of what happened (and we've all been there). I have to tell you that the refs in the DL vs. PC game pretty much never put the whistle in their mouth. I think six fouls were called the entire game. Mind you, the game went by fast, and the free throw line was not a factor. If there had been the normal hand-check, over-the-back, ticky-tacky calls... this game would have lasted a year. I am thankful they just let the girls play, but it was definitely different from most games. It certainly was to DL's advantage, as they normally have starters sitting on the bench for the first half with two or three fouls. It did not get out hand, so it was not one of those games where you thought.. 'someone is going to get hurt.' It was called more like a college game vs. AAU (where refs think they are educating players). It was refreshing. Fast pased game, without the silly calls. Mind you.. they missed some flagrant ones. PC was trying to foul DL at the end of the game to get the ball back, and refs didn't call it until they pretty much hacked someone. In all my years of watching basketball, it was the strangest called game I have seen. I recognized all the refs, and know that each have the potential to call every wrong move. I'm figuring they decided before the game to let the girls play. It really ended up being an outside shooting game vs. driving into the paint. That probably had a lot to do with it. Curious to know if any others that saw this game felt the same way??

After seeing most of the teams play at least once this season, I'll give my best 'guess' at how things look (in my opinion):

Hume Fogg - Bagwell is the bomb. They remind me of Lipscomb last year. Great defense and a go-to player that can play any position on the floor. She can score from anywhere, and has a well-balanced supporting cast. These players are also in shape. You can tell they either play other sports in the fall or had a good conditioning program.

East Lit - Physical team that has great outside shooting. Every team in the district is going to have a tough time containing them. Zone will stop their drives, but will open outside shooting. They have a multi-faceted attack (if shots are falling). Their aggressive defense could be their strength or achilles (foul trouble) depending on the game. They are still my pick for best team in the district so far.

FRA - If Smith gets hot... watch out. Like Bagwell, she is a great athlete who can shoot. Look at their box scores, and you know who to guard. I keep hearing they are 'young.' They have some freshman playing, but so does every other team in the district. No one should think they don't have experience on the floor.

Ezell Harding - Ezell has something to prove. They have a very good new coach. Ezell always has the best press and trap in the district (UT Knoxville style). They also have girls that can shoot three's with five hands in their face. This is probably the most under-rated team in the district. Eakes was a force last year, but was overshadowed by McAllister. It is now her turn under the spotlight, and she is playing every second of every game. Great player.

David Lipscomb - Reliable, defense, and depth. If a player gets in foul trouble, there is another one to fill the spot. Looking at box scores, you can tell that there are 9 to 10 players on the court every game. Starters rarely play together for all the subbing, which leads to lack of rhythym and low-scoring games, but DL will slowly kill you with free-throw shooting. You do not want to be in the bonus against them. Like East Lit.. aggressive defense can be an achilles at times, but Dl has a deeper bench. If you are a run and gun team, DL will frustrate the living daylights out of you. They are great at controlling the pace of a game.

CPA - They have a 'go to' player, but can get you from elsewhere. They, too, have a strong defense that makes adjustments very quick to exploit other teams weaknesses. If a team has a big inside player, they will force outside shots. If the outside shots start falling, they quickly adjust to double teams and traps. It doesn't require a half-time to adjust. That impressed me. That is what you call good coaching!! Surprise team of the year for me. I did not think they would be as good as they are... and they are good.

MLK - Much improved, but still not quite where they need to be. They have some size and a good inside game. If outside shooting was more consistent, they could be a force. Give them a couple of years, and they are going to improve. They have a JV this year, which is a HUGE step for MLK. Getting those younger players in more games early will only help their varsity in years to come.

Pearl-Cohn - Wild Card? I just don't know what to think about them yet. Good athletes and great coach. I think they are still getting their sea-legs this year. They always come on at the end of the season and district tournament. I don't know why this year will be any different. Never count out PC's athleticism. They are a driving team, and you have to be able to stand and take some charges (or fouls if called the other way), and see how it goes.

This is my unprofessional observances VERY EARLY in the season. I'd love to hear other's thoughts that are closer to all of the programs.

Again - good luck to all!!

Since I posted this originally, I will tell you I was wrong on some fronts, but right on some others...

Hume-Fogg - Still stand by my original post... They still remind me of David Lipscomb last year. Bagwell is their Ross (from DL last year). With her, when she is healthy, they are going to be tough to beat. Right now... my pick for best in the district (if Bagwell is playing and healthy).

East Lit - Not what I expected. They do not have the passion they had last year, and are not near as physical and intimidating. If you shut down their inside game, they don't have much on the outside to change-up your defense. I understand their point guard is out with an injury, and this definitely can impact a team. Still surprised they are not dominating. I'll say it again.. just seem to have lost their passion. I expected every player on their team to be in foul trouble every game. Not the same team they were last year (yet).

FRA - Very disciplined and typical for FRA. It is going to be a dog-fight with Ezell, CPA and DL. They are rivals, and have similar styles. Can they muster up that challenge every game? Smith is their go-to girl, and hard to contain. Excellent athlete. FRA against the publics in the district will be interesting. They are going to have to adjust to a much more physical game. Can they? I think so, but if they have a slightly off night, it could mean a loss to PC, HF or EL.

Ezell-Harding - New coach... new attitude, and EAKES.... I still stand by the fact that they are the best oustide shooters in the district, but can drive the paint if you go man-to-man. Like DL, they are going to be hard to coach against with such a multi-faceted game.

David Lipscomb - They seem to finally have realized they have five starters. Their best performance to date was against Pearl Cohn when the starters were able to stay on the court long enough to get warmed-up (ten 3's), which opened up the inside to Ellenburgh and Bridges (probably the best inside game in the district). DL's strength is their patience and defense. Keene is probably the best defender I have seen this year. She can cover a center or a guard. Best over-all defense in the district, but if they are getting beat, tend to get desperate for points and make desperate subbing and shooting decisions.

CPA - Second best defense in the district. They play with a lot of emotion and passion which goes a long way. Still not a high scoring team, but are number one until someone knocks them off. Probably the best coaching. They stick with their starters and don't sub a lot. They adjust their defense to exploit other teams weaknesses, and they keep teams off balance. Like DL, they are patient and tend to control tempo. Not a run and gun team. Mitchell is a true leader (just watch her coaching her teammates). She is probably the best all-around leader of all players I have seen this year. This is evident with the close wins. I bet you can attribute the majority of those wins to her leadership and on-the-court support.

MLK - Getting better every game. Their defense has surprised me the most. They also have size!! More size than anyone in the district. Conditioning would go a long way with this team. This is no longer the 'easy win.' Every team needs to worry about MLK (especially on their home court).

Pearl-Cohn - My new dark horse. They always turn it on at the end of the season, but they have much better shooting and guards than in the past. They make getting across half court a true task for any point guard. Great outside shooting, so taking out the inside game is not a game plan anymore. They are no longer the drive and jump shot team. They have athletism and SHOOTERS! Battle reminds me of many college players, but if double teamed or seriously guarded, she cannot win the game alone. She is needed to win. They also have a truly good press (almost as good as Ezell's). It is always risky when you press (opens up the big inside player), and I think it cost them the DL game, but nothing ventured.. nothing gained.

I think that DL, CPA, FRA and Ezell will be dog-fighting against each other because they are very similar. I think that Hume-Fogg (with Bagwell) is probably the toughest team to beat consistenly right now. MLK, PC and EL are still great teams, but are not as well balanced as the rest of the district.

On The Ball Magazine picked David Lipscomb to win the district which most people chuckled about with only one returning starter. I thnk DL or Hume Fogg probably has the weapons to do it. DL has the defense and Hume-Fogg has the best player. I guess we'll see... at this point CPA, FRA or Ezell also have the toolkit. East Lit, PC, and EL have the athleticsm. Ought to be fun folks...

Again - I welcome thoughts from those who are close to the programs to counter my observations thus far...

Since I posted this originally, I will tell you I was wrong on some fronts, but right on some others...

Hume-Fogg - Still stand by my original post... They still remind me of David Lipscomb last year. Bagwell is their Ross (from DL last year). With her, when she is healthy, they are going to be tough to beat. Right now... my pick for best in the district (if Bagwell is playing and healthy).

David Lipscomb - They seem to finally have realized they have five starters. Their best performance to date was against Pearl Cohn when the starters were able to stay on the court long enough to get warmed-up (ten 3's), which opened up the inside to Ellenburgh and Bridges (probably the best inside game in the district). DL's strength is their patience and defense. Keene is probably the best defender I have seen this year. She can cover a center or a guard. Best over-all defense in the district, but if they are getting beat, tend to get desperate for points and make desperate subbing and shooting decisions.

Again - I welcome thoughts from those who are close to the programs to counter my observations thus far...

OK, nut, here are my thoughts. Please don't make any more comments like this (especially the bold underlined kind). You are some kind of doomsday prohpet. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> DL held Bagwell to 8 pts but couldn't climb out of a 5 point hole. Disappointing loss, but another chance to learn and get better. Bagwell is the real deal. Deceptively quick, especially her hands - great steal ability. The HF half court trap with #42 (tall, lanky) at the top creates problems and gets folks out of sinc. HF is a good, well rounded team. Definitely a strong contender for top spot in the district. Lots more fun to come....

FRA beat MLK 51 to 46. Once again MLK game FRA an extremely tough game. #40 for MLK could be a very very good player. She scored 20 tonight.

Derica Wyatt, an 8th grader scored 21 for FRA. She hit her first three 3s. Kaitlyn Smith had 11 points. She hit 11 for 12 from the free throw line.

FRA is 5-2 in district and 16-3 over all.

CPA is 6-1 in district, FRA and Hume Fogg are 5-2, Dl and Ezell are both 3-3. They will be having a make up game before too long. Unless there is a real charge from MLK, EL or PC these five should be battling for top seeds in the district tournament.

On any given night any of the teams can win. But the surprise teams so far are CPA and definately FRA.

With the first half of the season in the bag it appears CPA has the edge going into the last half of the season with HF right on their heels. The four best teams are CPA, HF, FRA, and DL. I??™m not sure what??™s going on at EL ??“they may come on at the end but right now they are having trouble. EH seems to one dimensional to be there at the end.

CPA has 1 loss, FRA has 2, HF has 2, and DL 3

What CPA has is 3 big wins over the other teams in this group-2 over DL and 1 over FRA. HF has 3 also FRA,CPA, DL.

FRA has NONE??¦..DL has NONE. This makes for an uphill climb for these schools with 7 games to go.

In the last 7 games CPA only faces 2 of the top teams, HF and FRA while HF faces 3, FRA DL and CPA

Meanwhile FRA faces 4 and DL 3. FRA letting the HF game get away may really bite them in the end.

A record with 2 losses might take it outright.

To add to the interest PC , EH, and EL may knock off some at the top at any time.

Lots of fun-luck to all over the last 7 games. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />