Appropriate behavior for coaches?

gooddog

i would agree if they were coaching their players.

Did the team stink because the coach stunk? Or did the coach stink because the team stunk? Or did the coach stink at coaching but he liked to bark at referees and act like he could coach? Did the team just stink that night and the coach was po'd because his team stunk, so he started barking at the referee on every call? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can speak from experience on this one. When your team isn't very good, you keep coaching. In fact, some of the best coaching you can do is when you are down by 30 and playing against a 2nd/3rd team. You can run the same play over and over and call timeouts to discuss where they can improve and then have a really good practice. Let me tell you, it is really frustrating to be in that situation, but it is gratifying when the players get it.

I have watched several coaches in Metro do this. When Kim May started at McGavock, they were awful. They were losing games by 30-50 points. She instilled a work ethic and by the second year it was 10-30 points. The third year they were losing by 1-15 points. Now the number of wins didn't increase all that much, but when talent arrived, they were set up for success. The same could be said for Coach Coombs at Antioch or Coach Tribue at Hunters Lane (now at Cane Ridge). They have all gone through some tough times when talent was down, but have coached hard to make their teams competitive.

The coach has to stay in the game or the players will give up. At the WC - Gallatin game the other night Gallatin was down by 35 - 40 but the coach kept coaching. I thought she did a good job but she should have put in the reserves earlier. Central had gone to their Freshmen players and Gallatin kept the starter in until the last couple of minutes. I think you have to get the reserves in to keep them in the game and get experience. Gallatin just had a off night and Central was too strong. I look for a better game in January.

GO LADY WILDCATS! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I can speak from experience on this one. When your team isn't very good, you keep coaching. In fact, some of the best coaching you can do is when you are down by 30 and playing against a 2nd/3rd team. You can run the same play over and over and call timeouts to discuss where they can improve and then have a really good practice. Let me tell you, it is really frustrating to be in that situation, but it is gratifying when the players get it.

I have watched several coaches in Metro do this. When Kim May started at McGavock, they were awful. They were losing games by 30-50 points. She instilled a work ethic and by the second year it was 10-30 points. The third year they were losing by 1-15 points. Now the number of wins didn't increase all that much, but when talent arrived, they were set up for success. The same could be said for Coach Coombs at Antioch or Coach Tribue at Hunters Lane (now at Cane Ridge). They have all gone through some tough times when talent was down, but have coached hard to make their teams competitive.

Metro, it is refreshing to me to see you recognize coaches that have benn thru that and came out the back end better. These are the hero's in High School Sports. These are the people I am sure find other reasons than W/L to motivate themselves and with most of us that would be hard to do. It might be finding sometime later tht what a coach did created a Doctor, lawyer or productive citizen. It may be discovering that it may have developed a store owner or a Councilman, or a mother. Or it may mean having someone who played for you come up and say "I really enjoyed playing for you and learned a lot." Or it may be just inding out, male or female, that one of the players was just named a Coach at a major high school and called you to ask what you thought about iit. Yep, those are the real heros and you won't find them in the record books but you might find them on another roll.

i have gone to some games this year and seen some teams who are awful. you can tell the referees and the fans just want the game over with. referees seemingly let little things go on both ends or especially the end where the awful team is. yet the head coach of the awful team is screaming for everything. i'm sitting there thinking "just sit down and shut up, your team is terrible."

Why? Why do you want a team to give up simply because they aren't that good? It makes no sense to me. Maybe the coach has a second string he/she wants to get in the game, and get game experience? Maybe he/she has some good freshmen and sophmores that he'd/she'd like to get some PT so she/he can prepare them for next year.

Either way, you really need to look at things from the coaches prospective.

i have gone to some games this year and seen some teams who are awful. you can tell the referees and the fans just want the game over with. referees seemingly let little things go on both ends or especially the end where the awful team is. yet the head coach of the awful team is screaming for everything. i'm sitting there thinking "just sit down and shut up, your team is terrible."

Most coaches have a passion of some kind that drives them and to except being awful is not something that I would want my childs coach to do. Now Parents behavior when their child is awful and they cant see it, now that is a whole different animal.

I haven't seen many but I have seen some that have quit. It's a reflection on the town, the school, the administration, the rest of the coaches on the staff, the student body and while I might only be there watching, its a replection on me to let all of the above see that I am there watching and doing nothing too. If you are going to coach, stick it out HARD till you finish the job. Quitting is contageous and honestly sickening.

Perhaps some of the posts are a little too narrow in viewpoint. I have seen coaches pout for a period of time in a game where they and team are getting stomped. I would be hesitant to state that the coach is a quitter simply because on some occasions he or she may appear to be waiting for the game to be over and begin anew the next day. As to what a coach does on a sideline reflecting as you put it on the school, the administration, fans, virtually everyone in the gym, come on. What a coach does has nothing to do with 99.9% of the people in the gym, who you can bet had nothing to do with the hiring of a coach. If a coach from Siegel gets emotional, or has internal problems, I am not going to judge the people associated with that high school from the behavior of any coach, are you? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I have seen coaches act just as horrible when they are winning as when they are losing.

I am a firm believer that if you are not yelling, you are not coaching. But there is a difference between yelling and berating.

There are good coaches, and bad coaches. Bottom line, teach your kids how to handle themselves in whatever situation they are put in. And then pray for the best.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Perhaps some of the posts are a little too narrow in viewpoint. I have seen coaches pout for a period of time in a game where they and team are getting stomped. I would be hesitant to state that the coach is a quitter simply because on some occasions he or she may appear to be waiting for the game to be over and begin anew the next day. As to what a coach does on a sideline reflecting as you put it on the school, the administration, fans, virtually everyone in the gym, come on. What a coach does has nothing to do with 99.9% of the people in the gym, who you can bet had nothing to do with the hiring of a coach. If a coach from Siegel gets emotional, or has internal problems, I am not going to judge the people associated with that high school from the behavior of any coach, are you? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Dog, I didn't mention any school nor did anyone. Your opinions are yours alone, no one elses and you have enough of a problem keeping up with your school. Siegel nor Ryan has nothing to do with this subject. Go back to sleep.

i would agree if they were coaching their players.

This is a good point. If they are coaching their players until the bitter end and requiring more out of the athletes, then yes I also agree. But if a coach is constantly hounding the refs about calls and basically "fussing" at the officials, then no I don't agree. It was posted earlier that the officials were letting things go, and that is just as unacceptable. They are paid and assigned to do a game, no matter how sloppy the play, and if they have to call 50 fouls, then so be it. Back to the coaches, I believe that a good coach coaches his/her players and that shows in the play of the team. A coach that continues to "fuss" or berate officials is not coaching his team. I understand the occasional try to work an official for a call, but not for the whole game.

This is a good point. If they are coaching their players until the bitter end and requiring more out of the athletes, then yes I also agree. But if a coach is constantly hounding the refs about calls and basically "fussing" at the officials, then no I don't agree. It was posted earlier that the officials were letting things go, and that is just as unacceptable. They are paid and assigned to do a game, no matter how sloppy the play, and if they have to call 50 fouls, then so be it. Back to the coaches, I believe that a good coach coaches his/her players and that shows in the play of the team. A coach that continues to "fuss" or berate officials is not coaching his team. I understand the occasional try to work an official for a call, but not for the whole game.

FINALLY, someone with an answer to the actual question. Thanks.