ACL tears

lilc3

No I'm not. But take the Dr.s advice and as many has said, while you are studying do that exercise. I have seen many recoveries and none have been easy. Your friends will help you if only you ask and you are going to need a lot of them. Don't just sit around a brood, within limits get out and mingle. DO NOT LET IT GET YOU DOWN> You will be better for it.

Yeah my friends have been great. They help me alot, and i'm still trying to mingle and socialize. It's hard to forget about though. I don't plan on an easy recovery, but i hope everything goes smoothly with no re-tears.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to agree with most people. The mental part is hard to overcome. I tore my ACL my junior year of the basketball season. I had a few school looking at me for basketball but once I tore my ACL in my junior year, they all went away. I had a few small schools and juco schools looking at me but i had a better chance to go somewhere for track. I went that route and it's working out for the best for me. I still do wish i played basketball in college but track is still working out for me. I had my surgery with Dr. Burton Elrod, who is the team physician for the Titans. He did a wonderful job with my surgery and i did my rehab with his people at Baptist and everyone there was great. I had the worst experience without playing basketball for 6 months because it was my life but I think that the Lord had a plan for me tearing my ACL and for me being in the situation that I am in. I hope that everything works out for the best for you and I hope that you can come back next year and do very well with your senior bball season!

Thanks bballgurl. And yeah i'm a junior, so it's a similar story here. The expirience is gunna be hard because i live eat breathe and sleep basketball. but mabe it's not God's will for me, so i'll trust Him. Where is Dr. Elrod located?

Thanks bballgurl. And yeah i'm a junior, so it's a similar story here. The expirience is gunna be hard because i live eat breathe and sleep basketball. but mabe it's not God's will for me, so i'll trust Him. Where is Dr. Elrod located?

Just keep in mind that what God has for you, noone can take away. So if it's His will, then the injury is just a step in showing His glory in what you overcome to get there. You sound like you have a very level head. Just keep positive people around you & keep thinking positive thoughts.

God Bless

Just keep in mind that what God has for you, noone can take away. So if it's His will, then the injury is just a step in showing His glory in what you overcome to get there. You sound like you have a very level head. Just keep positive people around you & keep thinking positive thoughts.

God Bless

That's the only thing i can do these days. Thank you. God bless you=) You have very good advice.

Burton Elrod, nashville, Tennessee

Thank you. i'll look him up

thank you all so much. and i'd love to exchange emails with your daughter. I'm not looking forward to it very much, but i'm having surgery the week after Christmas i think. Hope to be playing by july. What all do they do in post-surgery rehab? And whats the best kind of replacement.... Donor tissue, or using your own to graft it back together?

I used my own tissue for my ACL tear and it has worked wonderfully for me. I haven't had any problems with it and the chances of me tearing it again are the same as me tearing the other knee. I would go with your own tissue. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

amazingly small! Usually two very small holes, They are great with the surgery these days. 90 to 95 % success, and the scars are very small. Each surgeon have their own methods, and there are ups and downs with each, but the results are amazing! First couple days are tough, after that it is all down hill.

From experience of two ACL tears in the same knee my Sophmore and Senior seasons of high school, make sure you have a good doctor and a VERY good physical therapist that will help keep you on the proper track to recovery. My first ACL tear, I had to watch my team play in the state tournament. I had a patella tendon graft surgery with no mensicus tears. I went to the local doctor and everything seemed fine until 2 years to the same day(my senior year), I tore it again along with mensius this time. My team was on its way to the state tournament again that year and I didn't want to miss out this time. I went to Dr. Andrews (when he was practicing in Birmingham, AL) and he said I could finish the season (if i worked at it) with my ACL torn. I went thru weeks of therapy and worked myself back on the floor. I played 3-4 weeks with my ACL torn, only playing limited minutes on the floor, but achieved my goal of playing in the state tournament. I had surgery after the season and went on to play college at the D-I level (and yes, they will still look at you if you have knee problems) I had a hamstring graft taken from the same leg and it feels so much better and stronger than after the first one. I tore mensicus my sophmore season in college and went to play in the NAIA for my junior and senior seasons. I reached the top of all my goals by finishing my career by winning the last game I could ever play- the national championship. Through all the struggles, discouragement, trials, tough therapy, etc. I kept myself in prayer and worked hard in the training room. I just want my experience to show that a knee surgery doesn't have to be a career-ending injury if you do not want it to be. I had a really good Dr and a really good physical therapist who helped keep me on track. BTW Dr Andrews released me in 4 months after the 2nd tear and the menscius tear my sophmore season in college was part of the repaired menscius from my second ACL surgery (I was back to it in just a few weeks). He used my same scar from the previous surgery but his was only half as small as the first which is pretty amazing if you think about it. Dr Andrews did tell me about new information of hip strength in females. He found that mine were probably the problem and I strengthened them in college and didn't have any more injuries while playing. My heart and prayers go out to you.

From experience of two ACL tears in the same knee my Sophmore and Senior seasons of high school, make sure you have a good doctor and a VERY good physical therapist that will help keep you on the proper track to recovery. My first ACL tear, I had to watch my team play in the state tournament. I had a patella tendon graft surgery with no mensicus tears. I went to the local doctor and everything seemed fine until 2 years to the same day(my senior year), I tore it again along with mensius this time. My team was on its way to the state tournament again that year and I didn't want to miss out this time. I went to Dr. Andrews (when he was practicing in Birmingham, AL) and he said I could finish the season (if i worked at it) with my ACL torn. I went thru weeks of therapy and worked myself back on the floor. I played 3-4 weeks with my ACL torn, only playing limited minutes on the floor, but achieved my goal of playing in the state tournament. I had surgery after the season and went on to play college at the D-I level (and yes, they will still look at you if you have knee problems) I had a hamstring graft taken from the same leg and it feels so much better and stronger than after the first one. I tore mensicus my sophmore season in college and went to play in the NAIA for my junior and senior seasons. I reached the top of all my goals by finishing my career by winning the last game I could ever play- the national championship. Through all the struggles, discouragement, trials, tough therapy, etc. I kept myself in prayer and worked hard in the training room. I just want my experience to show that a knee surgery doesn't have to be a career-ending injury if you do not want it to be. I had a really good Dr and a really good physical therapist who helped keep me on track. BTW Dr Andrews released me in 4 months after the 2nd tear and the menscius tear my sophmore season in college was part of the repaired menscius from my second ACL surgery (I was back to it in just a few weeks). He used my same scar from the previous surgery but his was only half as small as the first which is pretty amazing if you think about it. Dr Andrews did tell me about new information of hip strength in females. He found that mine were probably the problem and I strengthened them in college and didn't have any more injuries while playing. My heart and prayers go out to you.

Fantastic story! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />